Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:42   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Hi, Anyone have the gps log of Athirapally-Valaparai road? How is the road condition? Thanks in advance
Just check the latest post in Kerala thread. HVK just mentioned that it is in excellent condition.
Old 15th May 2012, 23:27   #92
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Valparai - Stay and other info

Need help with planning for a trip to Valparai (first time).
I will be first traveling to my cousin's home in Calicut and then to Valparai and back to Bangalore. Overall route Bangalore-Calicut-Valparai-Bangalore.

All questions are on Calicut to Valparai route, road conditions and visits to places nearby Valparai.

1. Start from Calicut at 5:30am. Planning to take Calicut-Palakkad route (first time). Please let me know road conditions and what to watch out for (places where I may get confused or lost).

2. Stop for breakfast at Aryas on the N47 Palakkad-Thrissur junction. Can I reach by 8.30am ?

3. Start from Aryas at 9am and turn into Pollachi Road

4. Planning a quick visit to Top Slip, Parambikulam.
i)Is entry into the sanctuary permitted now ? Remember reading somewhere that it is closed during summer till the rains start. If it is open, plan to see the dams, scenery enroute and take a bamboo raft/boat ride at the Parambikulam dam backwaters and head back by 1pm, possible ?

ii)Route - Which one to take ?
a)Palakkad-Pollachi-Anaimalai-Sethumadai-Top Slip-Parambikulam Dam
b)Google maps suggests a route bypassing Pollachi
Palakkad-Nallepilly-Muthalamada-Anaimalai-Sethumadai-Top Slip-Parambikulam Dam

5.Start by 1pm from Parambikulam Dam and take Top Slip-Sethumdai-Anaimalai-Pollachi-Angalakurichi-Aliyar-Valparai and reach NEPC estate (near Waterfalls estate). Possible to reach here by 3pm ?

Last edited by NPV : 15th May 2012 at 23:40.
Old 15th May 2012, 23:52   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. Start from Calicut at 5:30am. Planning to take Calicut-Palakkad route (first time). Please let me know road conditions and what to watch out for (places where I may get confused or lost).
I think this is best option. NH213 goes via Malappuram/Perinthalmanna.

Quote:
2. Stop for breakfast at Aryas on the N47 Palakkad-Thrissur junction. Can I reach by 8.30am ?
Why would you be on Palakkad-Trichur NH47? You would not be.
From Pallakkad take Pollachi SH.

In case you plan to to come through Trichur and plan to take the Vadakkacherry road via Kollengode,
check with @joecherian. I think he mentioned that due to a bridge collapse traffic was being diverted to Palakkad.
Hence it would be better to take NH213 and come down to Palakkad.

There are decent hotels in Pollachi (which I think are good though I have never been there. This was my online search
and the places looked good)

Nivetha's Inn - About Us
Sakthi Hotels - Pollachi, Tamilnadu, India.

Quote:
i)Is entry into the sanctuary permitted now ? Remember reading somewhere that it is closed during summer till the rains start.
If it is open, plan to see the dams, scenery enroute and take a bamboo raft/boat ride at the Parambikulam dam backwaters
and head back by 1pm, possible ?
5.Start by 1pm from Parambikulam Dam and take Top Slip-Sethumdai-Anaimalai-Pollachi-Angalakurichi-Aliyar-Valparai and
reach NEPC estate (near Waterfalls estate). Possible to reach here by 3pm ?

From Palakkad you will need to come to Pollachi and take the road to Sethumadai. But once you are done with this place, to get to
Aliyar-Valparai road you don't need to go all the way to Pollachi again. There is an Anaimalai-Valparai road.
While driving to Valparai from Pollachi I did notice a road diversion to Anaimalai, but I did not take that road. So cannot comment.

Ask Laluks. He knows the place and timings very well.

Last edited by ampere : 15th May 2012 at 23:56.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 06:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

It is some time since I used the Palakkad - Calicut road so can't help you much there.

With regard to Topslip I think it is open now though based on your plan it would be difficult to take the Safari option at Topslip. You could take the van ride alone at Parambikulam for which tickets are availabile at the Topslip checkpost. It would take about two hours in all where you would be shown the dams and Kannimara teak tree. You cannot take your personal vehicle beyond the information centre unless you are staying overnight.

On your way back you will find a right turn just after you cross Anamalai, this would be marked as to Udumalaipet. It's a narrow road but in good condition saves you the trouble of going to Pollachi and coming back.
Considering you are going to NEPC you should be able to reach around 3:30 if you start around one from Topslip.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 08:25   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why would you be on Palakkad-Trichur NH47? You would not be.
From Pallakkad take Pollachi SH.

In case you plan to to come through Trichur and plan to take the Vadakkacherry road via Kollengode,
check with @joecherian. I think he mentioned that due to a bridge collapse traffic was being diverted to Palakkad.
Hence it would be better to take NH213 and come down to Palakkad.

From Palakkad you will need to come to Pollachi and take the road to Sethumadai. But once you are done with this place, to get to
Aliyar-Valparai road you don't need to go all the way to Pollachi again. There is an Anaimalai-Valparai road.
While driving to Valparai from Pollachi I did notice a road diversion to Anaimalai, but I did not take that road. So cannot comment.
Thanks Amp. I think what I've mentioned is a little confusing but I'm very familiar with this stretch - NH213 joins Palakkad near an IOC petrol pump and there I will need to make a left turn (right would go into the market street of Palakkad town). A little ahead is a right turn (NH47 towards Alathur/Thrissur curves here and straight goes to Walayar/Coimbatore). Almost at this junction is Hotel Aryas bang on NH47 itself. I plan to stop here for breakfast and then just a few metres ahead is another right turn which is the road to Pollachi. I'm good with this part since I've been there several times.

How about this route for Palakkad-Top Slip-Parambikulam ?
Google maps suggests a route bypassing Pollachi:

And Thanks again for the information on Anaimalai-Valparai Road, will take that.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:04   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about this route for Palakkad-Top Slip-Parambikulam ?
Google maps suggests a route bypassing Pollachi:
You are referring to the Koduvayur road. In that case from Koduvayur you should take the road
Kollengode where you would join Vadakkancherry-Pollachi road. But I have no idea about the turning to Anaimalai.

The other option is take the Palakkad-Pollachi road and then turn for Meenakshipuram. And you again end in the
same Vadakkancherry-Pollachi road . That seems to be a better option. If you were referring to this road, then this
is the one I would also recommend. By-passes Pollachi nicely.

But I dont know the current status.

Route Via Meenakshipuram

Last edited by ampere : 16th May 2012 at 10:13.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

By the look of it you are joining the Vadakkencherry - Pollachi Road at Meenatchipuram and then moving onto Anamalai. I am not sure of the road conditions, if you are not hard pressed for time you can try this route. While the turn off for the Pollachi road is easy to identify on NH47, is it the same for the route you are mentioning as well.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i)Is entry into the sanctuary permitted now ? Remember reading somewhere that it is closed during summer till the rains start. If it is open, plan to see the dams, scenery enroute and take a bamboo raft/boat ride at the Parambikulam dam backwaters and head back by 1pm, possible ?

5.Start by 1pm from Parambikulam Dam and take Top Slip-Sethumdai-Anaimalai-Pollachi-Angalakurichi-Aliyar-Valparai and reach NEPC estate (near Waterfalls estate). Possible to reach here by 3pm ?
Narayan,

While i am not familiar with Calicut - Valparai road and its conditions. However some points to be kept in mind.

A question - Is there any reason for you to come via Palakkad from Calicut? If you dont want to come via Palakkad, you can take Calicut - Kuttipuram - Trichur - Chalakkudi - Valparai road. The road from Valparai to Chalakkudi lookked to be in good condition when we were in Valparai in April. You will also get a chance to see Athirapally falls.

a) No safari in Topslip. So pls don't waste time there.

b) Regarding Parambikulam, pls look at the excellent website and call up the forest guys to get more details. Here is the link. However, i would recommend you to do Parambikulam seperately as you will not be doing justice.

Official website of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala, India

c) In Valparai the places you can see is listed in this website. Treks in Grassland hills is again ruled out as Forest authoriteis were not allowing. Places you should not miss are Nerar dam and Sholayar dam. If you are coming via Chalakkudi, you will see Sholayar on the way. No boating in any othese two places. Here is a list of places you can see in Valparai.

Valparai Tourist Attractions| Athirapalli Falls| Nirar Dam
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 11:23   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
A question - Is there any reason for you to come via Palakkad from Calicut? If you dont want to come via Palakkad, you can take Calicut - Kuttipuram - Trichur - Chalakkudi - Valparai road. The road from Valparai to Chalakkudi lookked to be in good condition when we were in Valparai in April. You will also get a chance to see Athirapally falls.
Even I thought about this while responding yesterday. Then I realized NPV wanted to visit Parambikulam
on the way before coming to Valparai. The other point I think (others can correct me) is Calicut-Trichur
can be a super crowded road compared to the NH213 (because of Guruvayur).
Old 16th May 2012, 18:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Need help with planning for a trip to Valparai (first time).
I will be first traveling to my cousin's home in Calicut and then to Valparai and back to Bangalore. Overall route Bangalore-Calicut-Valparai-Bangalore.

All questions are on Calicut to Valparai route, road conditions and visits to places nearby Valparai.

Goto http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-244.html and please refer post#3653 and #3655 for some info about my Palani->Calicut drive via Pollachi.

My comments to your points above:
1) Start around 5 AM and you can be sure of reaching Palakkad in about 3 hours, say 8 AM. From 5.30 AM, private buses will start and by 8 AM, you will have moderate to heavy traffic in and around (esp. school/college buses on a week-day) Malappuram/Perinthalmanna/Mannarkkad towns.
And when you reach Olavakkode(Palakkad Railway Station), continue straight on the bye-pass forking away from NH-213(takes a right turn) that goes to Palakkad town.
2) You can try some hotels in Olavakkode junction too if not Aryaas.

@amp, Aryaas is at the start of Palakkad bye-pass from Coimbatore/Walayar/Pollachi side and some private bus operators refer to this place(Chandranagar) as "N47 Palakkad-Thrissur (highway/bye-pass) junction" and so I was not confused :-)

3)From Aryaas, you would reach Pollachi in less than an hour if you choose that route. Super good status now !

Point 4 onwards, I am not too familiar :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I thought about this while responding yesterday. Then I realized NPV wanted to visit Parambikulam
on the way before coming to Valparai. The other point I think (others can correct me) is Calicut-Trichur
can be a super crowded road compared to the NH213 (because of Guruvayur).
There are more Calicut-Thrissur private buses than Calicut-Guruvayur. Plus many KSRTC buses that go from north (Kannur/Wayanad/Calicut) to south (Thrissur/Ernakulam/Kottayam etc.) runs via Calicut-Thrissur route.

Also, NH-213 is not less crowded but the other way around because of heavy lorry traffic, esp. between Perinthalmanna and Mannarkkadu. Also, 2 time-killing stretches which are Malappuram being a district HQ and Perinthalmanna being a major hub-town for the district. So, for people like me, Calicut-Palakkad trip generally means avoiding peak-time in Malappuram, take right at Angadippuram (just before Perinthalmanna rush) and then Cherpulassery->Mundur road running parallel to NH-213 with 3 great advantages(less traffic, lesser distance and avoids mini-ghats near Mannarkkadu town).

Last edited by manson : 16th May 2012 at 20:38. Reason: Kindly use Edit button to merge posts whilst posting within twenty minutes from the first post.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Guys

After seeing the pictures posted by @ampere and others, I am mesmerised. I am planning a trip to Munnar, Cochin and Ooty next month, but now I am getting tempted to let go of Munnar and opt for Valparai.

My plan is to leave Hyderabad on June 9th and drive to Perundurai or any other place beyond it for an overnight stay. I've already got information of the hotels in Perundurai from ampere. Any other places after Perundurai are also ok, just for an overnight rest, with car parking.

My questions are:-
  1. The route to take from Perundurai to Valparai. Any places to see enroute. Driving time too.
  2. Places to stay at Valparai. I don't want to spend too much as I'll be there for 2 days maximum (10th and 11th), and leave for Cochin from there.
  3. Route to Cochin from Valparai, and driving time. Road conditions seem to be ok per hvkumar's response on another thread.
  4. Places to see enroute to Cochin.
Thanks in advance. Contact numbers of hotels will also be helpful. We are 4 in our family (all adults) traveling on my Fiesta.
Old 16th May 2012, 22:19   #102
BHPian

Hey folks,

I was planning for a quick weekend getaway to Valparai this weekend. Called up Raasha and found Glendale to be booked. Parry is booked too. Got hold of a B&B called Hornbill Castle and he said that he can offer Saturday night. But am not really sure about the place and the website has very little information. Here is the link - http://www.hornbillcastle.com/

Any body heard or stayed here? Or any other staying options? Inputs are appreciated. This is for a family of 4 with a kid. Thanks!

Last edited by luvurride : 16th May 2012 at 22:21. Reason: More content
Old 16th May 2012, 22:23   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The route to take from Perundurai to Valparai. Any places to see enroute. Driving time too.
Perundurai-Kangeyam : 30 minutes, 30km
Kangeyam-Palladam : 30 minutes, 45 km
Palladam-Pollachi : 45 minutes, 50km
Pollachi-Valparai : 60km 1-2 hour

Quote:
Places to stay at Valparai. I don't want to spend too much as I'll be there for 2 days maximum (10th and 11th), and leave for Cochin from there.
Water Fall Estate, Stanmore, Sinnadorai.
All are tea estate bungalows.

There is nothing to do but enjoy the place by taking morning walks around the tea estates and enjoying hot food!

Quote:
Route to Cochin from Valparai, and driving time. Road conditions seem to be ok per hvkumar's response on another thread.
Valparai-Chalakudy-Angamaly-Ernakulam-Kochi
Very good road all the way. From Chalakudy it would be 4L (GQ).

Quote:
Places to see enroute to Cochin.
The main one is Athirapally falls at Chalakudy.

Few more snaps to tempt you further!

How do you want your morning tea?
Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1794a3.jpg

The Scenes you are greeted with when you walk along the tea estate
Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1955a3.jpg
Valparai - Stay and other info-img_1967a3.jpg

This snap I had posted earlier. View from Top
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 22:33   #104
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ampere, Fauji, Srikanth and Ajith.
I think what Fauji Sir said makes sense so I plan to take Calicut-Chalakudy-Valparai route and visit Athirapally falls, Vazhachal falls and Sholayar Dam, then check in to the bungalow.
Please let me know if this route is the one I should be taking and the road conditions (this will be my first time on this route as well)
Kozhikode, Kerala, India to Valparai, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

You can also try at NEPC estate bungalows (contact Sunil @8903214160) - I have booked here for later this month, their website is
http://www.allseasonguesthouses.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Places to stay at Valparai. I don't want to spend too much as I'll be there for 2 days maximum (10th and 11th), and leave for Cochin from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Or any other staying options? Inputs are appreciated. This is for a family of 4 with a kid. Thanks!

Last edited by NPV : 16th May 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Adding NEPC info for vnabhi and luvurride
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 22:42   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, Fauji, Srikanth and Ajith.
I think what Fauji Sir said makes sense so I plan to take Calicut-Chalakudy-Valparai route and visit Athirapally falls, Vazhachal falls and Sholayar Dam, then check in to the bungalow.
If you were not planning to visit Top slip/Parambikulam, then surely, the route via Chalakudy is equally good.
That also makes me think that on the way back from Valparai you can also visit Parambikulam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks