Team-BHP - Kochi - Pune
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Kochi - Pune (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/65539-kochi-pune.html)

The intention is to drive from Kochi to Pune in a Santro(2000)...
Any guidance on how to plan this jaunt would be appreciated.

I would need to work out a plan that could have me start from Kochi on 26th/27th and reach Pune latest by 29th evening.

My primary focus would be on finding the best combination of roads/highways primarily w.r.t. the road condition(a little extra distance to achieve this is fine with me).
Need to plan it as a peaceful road-trip...

Thanks in advance
Prasad
ps: I would be making the journey with a friend who is also keen to spend time behind the steering wheel; so the driving efforts would be shared.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ms-10days.html

This T-logue might help you with some details

Shortest and scenic route - NH17 via Mangalore/Goa (lot of bad roads i guess)
Fastest and good roads - Coimbatore-Mettur-Bangalore-Hubli-Kolhapur-Pune.

Wait for more inputs and enjoy your drive

Thanks for the responses...

Is there any current/latest information available out there as to the condition of NH 17 between Kochi and Mangalore ?
The idea is to get to Mangalore and then drive inland to get onto NH4...

You could explore this route as well Kochi - Trichur - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Channarayapatna - Ariskere - Shimoga - Harihar you would join the NH4 at Harihar from where it's the same road to Pune. This route would be advisable only if you are starting between 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM from Kochi or the day traffic would delay your first leg itself in Kerala. This would also ensure you travel the interior Karnataka through the day.

I would advice you against going via Mangalore as the roads are not so great around Mangalore which ever route you opt to come back Inland.

Though the convenient one for you is to take the NH7, and NH4 via Bangalore.

Kochi - Trichur - Coimbatore - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur - Krishnagiri - Hosur continue on NH7 until Electronic City after which you can take the NICE corridor which would mean you would reach Nelamangala on NH4 in not more than an hour taking into account the diversion at Bannerghatta Road. Once you hit NH4 its all the way to Pune through some very good roads except at Tumkur Byepass and the stretch between Chitradurga and Haveri

Quote:

Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth (Post 1501150)
You could explore this route as well Kochi - Trichur - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Channarayapatna - Ariskere - Shimoga - Harihar you would join the NH4 at Harihar from where it's the same road to Pune. This route would be advisable only if you are starting between 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM from Kochi or the day traffic would delay your first leg itself in Kerala. This would also ensure you travel the interior Karnataka through the day.

I would advice you against going via Mangalore as the roads are not so great around Mangalore which ever route you opt to come back Inland.

Though the convenient one for you is to take the NH7, and NH4 via Bangalore.

Kochi - Trichur - Coimbatore - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur - Krishnagiri - Hosur continue on NH7 until Electronic City after which you can take the NICE corridor which would mean you would reach Nelamangala on NH4 in not more than an hour taking into account the diversion at Bannerghatta Road. Once you hit NH4 its all the way to Pune through some very good roads except at Tumkur Byepass and the stretch between Chitradurga and Haveri

+1 to that,the Nilambur stretch has been reported to be not so great after the rains.I would second Srikanth's suggestion of NH47(till Bhavani)-NH-7(Thoppur-Blore)-NH4(Nelamangala-Pune) option,would be a fast & relaxed drive

ic, or lemme say 'i am beginning to c'...

Also, some parameters for the journey are clearly laid out now:
Start Date: 27th, Sunday
Start Time: As early as possible after 11:45 AM
Starting point : Cochin Airport...

Which means that the apt suggestion for trying to escape the traffic in Kerala by starting very early in the morning is not feasible for me :-(

Thanks
Best Regards

Hope you reached Pune safe. Please share the latest road conditions.