Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 14:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Guys, need some help with my proposed travel. I am planning for this during the last weekend of this month, i.e., from 26th Sep to 4th Oct. Will be travelling with wife, using my Palio. I have to be in Ahmedabad on Monday the 28th, and have the rest of the days free to roam about. This is the tentative plan:

26th: Hyderabad to Mumbai, about ~750 kms. What is the preferred route? Guess I have two options- NH9 upto Pune and then NH4 to Mumbai, or take the Mohol-Pandharpur-Satara route to join NH4 at Satara. Also need a few suggestions on stay in Mumbai around the Highway. Mumbai as a waypoint is also flexible, so any other logical stop can also be considered.

27th: Mumbai to Ahmedabad, about 540 kms. Need directions from NH4 exit to NH8 preferably bypassing Mumbai traffic. Will be staying in Ahmedabad on 27th and 28th.

29th: Ahmedabad to Jodhpur, about 450 Kms. Route? Road conditions? Any nice places to visit en route, or around Ahmedabad? Am planning for Mount Abu on my way back from Jodhpur anyway, any other places I can club with it, still keeping it relaxed?

30th: In Jodhpur, relaxing at home.

1st, 2nd: Jodhpur to Mount Abu, ~320 kms. Route? Any suggestions for stay would be appreciated.

3rd, 4th: Mount Abu to Hyderabad. Retrace the route taken from Hyderabad.

Any better way to break up this journey? Only constraint is, have to be in Ahmedabad on or before Monday. Suggestions pls...
Anurag,you can refer to this Mumbai Bypass Guide prepared by HVK.The only hitch is that this is prepared considering bypassing BOM while going from NH-8(AMD) to Pune(PNQ) EW.So all that you would need to do is to turn it round while reading.My recco,just prepare a new sheet replacing all the rights with lefts and vice versa and also starting from point no 16 and going upto point 1.

Thank you HVK.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Bombay%20Bypass%20Guide[1].doc (30.0 KB, 337 views)
Old 18th September 2009, 14:46   #17
BHPian

Brilliant ranjit!!!! Thanks for sharing that. HVK as always is a treasure trove when it comes to roads
Old 18th September 2009, 16:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Anugag,

The stretch is much better now, people are doing the Surat Abad stretch under 5 hours. Happy driving.

======
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:26   #19
BHPian

The plan for driving on to Rajasthan has been cancelled. Instead will be utilizing some quality time at Mahabaleshwar. Can someone suggest good hotels to stay in, without undue strain on the pocket?

I remember Venu mentioning Hotel Dreamland on the other thread, will check that out. Any others?
Old 24th September 2009, 11:01   #20
BHPian

Alrighty then, the program is finally fixed after a lot of yo-yoing. This is the itinerary:

26th: Hyderabad to Mumbai, ~750 kms via Indapur-Junction-Baramati-Pune
27th: Mumbai to Ahmedabad, ~550 kms
28th: In Ahmedabad
29th: Ahmedabad to Mahabaleshwar, ~700kms via Mumbai-Pune E'way
30th, 1st: In Mahabaleshwar
2nd: Mahabaleshwar to Kolhapur, ~190 kms
3rd: Kolhapur to Hyderabad, ~570 kms via Miraj-Sangole-Solapur

Is it still raining in Pune/ Mahaby and around? How are the road conditions between Kolhapur and Solapur?

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 24th September 2009 at 11:05.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alrighty then, the program is finally fixed after a lot of yo-yoing. This is the itinerary:

27th: Mumbai to Ahmedabad, ~550 kms
28th: In Ahmedabad
29th: Ahmedabad to Mahabaleshwar, ~700kms via Mumbai-Pune E'way
30th, 1st: In Mahabaleshwar
2nd: Mahabaleshwar to Kolhapur, ~190 kms
3rd: Kolhapur to Hyderabad, ~570 kms via Miraj-Sangole-Solapur

Is it still raining in Pune/ Mahaby and around? How are the road conditions between Kolhapur and Solapur?
Kolhapur-Solapur is in good conditions.Can be covered in 4-4.5hrs.

As for M'war,you could opt for the NH17 route from Panvel-Pen-Mahad-Poladpur-M''war.,my hunch is via Pune would be a roundabout way.Anywys
wait for expert advise on thatand dont you think A'bad-M'war is going to be a real long haul.Its going to be close to 800kms in a day and all that distance just for 1 day?Just a thought thats all,dont mean to dampen your spirits.you could think of lonavla-khandala instead,if you are looking for just a stopover.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:28   #22
BHPian

Hey ranjit, all opinions are welcome, thanks. The stay in M'war will be for 3 nights and 2 days (29th, 30th and 1st). I think that should be enough time to soak in the sights and sounds of Mahaby. I have a spare day for this trip anyway, so can always make some adjustments. Been to Lonavala, Khandala, Matheran etc, want to try out a new place.

The NH17 route is crowded, based on the opinions here, that is why not considering that. Since I will hit the twisties somewhere in the evening, which route do you think will be better?
Old 24th September 2009, 12:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey ranjit, all opinions are welcome, thanks. The stay in M'war will be for 3 nights and 2 days (29th, 30th and 1st). I think that should be enough time to soak in the sights and sounds of Mahaby. I have a spare day for this trip anyway, so can always make some adjustments. Been to Lonavala, Khandala, Matheran etc, want to try out a new place.

The NH17 route is crowded, based on the opinions here, that is why not considering that. Since I will hit the twisties somewhere in the evening, which route do you think will be better?
Ah okie,sorry I missed your dates @ M'swar.Well NH17 for scenery and greeneryand if you want population around you then NH17 definitely.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is raining cats and dogs. On 21st October I drove in Bangalore-Pune stretch and beyond Kholapur till I crossed satara, it was raining heavily with very low visibility. 22nd,23rd it rained heavily in the evenings at Pune. Your travel is a week from now. So, keep your finger crossed.

Nainar
Old 24th September 2009, 16:39   #25
BHPian

Hmmm, thanks for the update anainar. Not a week, my travel starts from day after tomorrow. Let's hope the rain lessens in intensity when I am passing through.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

hey anurag,
give me a call while passing through baramati, we will meet if possible.

Regarding nh17 or nh4 for mahaby, go for nh4.
Though nh17 is much scenic, you have to climb 40 km long poladpur ghat for mahaby and it is potholed road and tiresome journey.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:30   #27
BHPian

Sure thing, Ashish. Can you PM me your number?
Old 25th September 2009, 11:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Happy journey Anurag. Drive safe. I am going to Hampi and Jog Falls. Have dropped M'Beswar due to heavy rains reported on and off.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Happy journey Anurag. Drive safe. I am going to Hampi and Jog Falls. Have dropped M'Beswar due to heavy rains reported on and off.
Happy & safe journey all you peopleAnurag,dont forget to check out the yummiest of strawberry milk shakes & the biggest of club sandwiches at M'swar
Old 25th September 2009, 12:24   #30
BHPian

Thanks Venu sir, you have a great trip too. I have my fingers crossed that it does not rain too much.

Thanks ranjit, I will be sure to check out the culinary delights of Mahaby (Avi's travelogue gives superb pointers)...

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 25th September 2009 at 12:25.

Most Viewed