Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2015, 17:04   #61
BHPian

re: Kumarakom - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
A better option would be to drive via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Peermade-Kanjirapally-Kottayam-Kumarakom.
Planning a trip from Bangalore to Kumarakom later this month. ^^^ the above was recommended in 2012. Does it still hold good compared to the Avinashi-walayar-Thrissur-Kottayam route?

Plan to start around 5 in the morning. Driving back to Bangalore after 3 days.
Old 5th April 2015, 21:01   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Planning a trip from Bangalore to Kumarakom later this month. ^^^ the above was recommended in 2012. Does it still hold good compared to the Avinashi-walayar-Thrissur-Kottayam route?

Plan to start around 5 in the morning. Driving back to Bangalore after 3 days.
Yes this still hold good. In fact it has improved. Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni is now very good. Some rough patches around Kumily. But surely much more peaceful than Avinashi/Walayar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 19:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes this still hold good. In fact it has improved. Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni is now very good. Some rough patches around Kumily. But surely much more peaceful than Avinashi/Walayar.
Hi, We are planning to drive to Kumarakom later this week. Google shows that the route Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni is 630 km and 11h 18min. While the route Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore- Trissur is 603 kms and an hour less.

Is it because the latter has more 4 lane?

I plan to leave Bangalore by 5 so and therefore asking my well traveled friends, which is the better route? Traffic wise, road surface wise, less speed breaker wise and like ampere says more "peaceful".
thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 20:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi, We are planning to drive to Kumarakom later this week. Google shows that the route Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni is 630 km and 11h 18min. While the route Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore- Trissur is 603 kms and an hour less.

I plan to leave Bangalore by 5 so and therefore asking my well traveled friends, which is the better route? Traffic wise, road surface wise, less speed breaker wise and like ampere says more "peaceful".
I think what matters more is the fact that you need to drive on Kerala roads for only about 120 kms when you use the Dindigul-Theni option. In spite of about 40 kms of the stretch in Kerala being twisty ghat roads, I always find that it generally takes me less time when I go via Dindigul. With due respect to Google Maps' time computation algorithm, my personal experience has been that the time taken to reach Kottayam via Dindigul is more or less the same as it takes me to reach Ernakulam via NH7/NH47 (which leaves another 1 hour+ drive remaining to reach Kottayam/Kumarakom)

Road surface : Excellent till Dindigul, Very good the rest of the way. The Dindigul-Theni-Kumily has occasional bad patches (short ones) especially around towns like Periyakulam, Theni etc. But traffic is much less than the 2 lane sections on NH47 in Kerala, so you can drive faster without too many hassles.

About your start time of 5AM : Would be better if you could push it back by an hour if possible. Crossing Salem can be a pain after 8AM, and can easily set you back by about half an hour of extra travel time.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 21:38   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks
+1 to what Kala says. Theni option is much easier. And also as he says, would suggest you start by 4 so that you can easily Salem before the city comes to life.
Old 14th April 2015, 13:12   #66
BHPian

Quote:

thanks
If you are planning to come through NH 47, please remember to use Cherthala(NH 47)-Kumarakom route via Thanneermukkam Bund (17 kms of narrow but a scenic road). Have 4 lane roads upto Cherthala and the remaining distance to Kumarakom is only about 17 Kms. Another advantage is to avoid MC Road and Kottayam traffic.

As per the above route (Bangalore- Hosur- Krishnagiri- Dharmapuri- Salem Bye pass- Bhavani Bye pass- Avinashi Bye pass- Coimbatore Bye pass- Palakkad Bye Pass- Thrissur Bye pass- Cochin Bye pass- Cherthala- Thanneermukham Bund) distance to Kumarakom is 589 Kms.
Old 8th October 2015, 08:28   #67
BHPian

Hello Amp and Kala,

Been following this thread with interest as I am planning a vacation at Alappuzha and Kovalam during mid-October. I would greatly appreciate your assistance with my queries below

The Dindigul-Theni option is looking attractive as my final destination is Alappuzha,

1.How much time do I need to budget for travel? I plan to leave Bangalore at about 4:30am from Jayanagar. My car is an Ertiga ZDI and I am fairly comfortable driving on highways/long distances. While doing long distance road travel, we prefer packing breakfast from home so our stops will be limited to quick stretch/rest room breaks. I am looking at booking myself at Kondai Lip heritage resort (http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...la.html#photos). Would I be able to get here by Lunch time, 2pm?

2. I will be travelling with wife and 6 yr old son. How safe is this route? Any additional precautions to be taken?

3. Could you kindly advice on the best route to my resort from Kottayam town?

Post spending 2-3 days at Alappuzha I plan to drive down to Kovalam. Google maps shows the time to travel to be 3+ hours, could you advice me on the best route here please?

Best Regards
Old 8th October 2015, 09:10   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
The Dindigul-Theni option is looking attractive as my final destination is Alappuzha,

1.How much time do I need to budget for travel? I plan to leave Bangalore at about 4:30am from Jayanagar. My car is an Ertiga ZDI and I am fairly comfortable driving on highways/long distances. While doing long distance road travel, we prefer packing breakfast from home so our stops will be limited to quick stretch/rest room breaks. I am looking at booking myself at Kondai Lip heritage resort (http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...la.html#photos). Would I be able to get here by Lunch time, 2pm?
- 2.5/3 hours for Salem (200km)
- <2.5 hour for Dindigul (~180km)
- 1 hour for Theni (50-60km)
- 4-5 hours for Allepey (200km via Kumily, Kanjirapally)
Check with others on the final section after Kanjirapally. (Ettumanoor or Kottayam/Kumrakom Cherthala)

So we are looking at about 10-11 hours of drive easily.

On a different thought, since its north of Kumarakom, I think even the conventional NH7/NH47 (via Coimbattore) may also be good idea.

Quote:
2. I will be travelling with wife and 6 yr old son. How safe is this route? Any additional precautions to be taken?
The route is quite safe. No issues at all.
Old 13th October 2015, 15:18   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Hello Amp and Kala,
Sorry for the delayed response - I haven't been logging on here for a while since I've been abroad for a couple of weeks now.

Since your destination seems to be Ezhupunna which is closer to Cochin than Alleppey, the NH7/NH47 route is quite a reasonable option as well. Not that you'll save too much of time going that way, but the route is more straight forward even though you've to contend with the horrendous NH47 traffic through Cochin with the metro construction woes added on between Alwaye and Cochin. (Plus the bad stretches between Coimbatore and Walayar and the Kuthiraan stretch between Vadakkencherry and Trichur which are well documented in many threads here)

The 10 to 11 hours estimate that @ampere gave you is probably bang on. Whichever way you go, I think it'll take you about that long - so shooting for arrival at the resort for lunch with a 4:30 AM start may perhaps be too optimistic unless you don't mind a really late lunch.

The route via Dindigul-Theni-Kumily will certainly be more scenic, but you'll probably need to avoid Kottayam and Alleppey towns (both of which can take a while to traverse) in order to be able to reach your destination in the same time as the other route - and that would mean having to go through roads which may not have too many navigation markings (The best I can think of is Kumily-Ponkunnam-Palai-Ettumanoor-Neendoor-Kallara-Vechoor-Cherthala-Ezhupunna). In case you think you really want to do that, please let me know - I can probably send you a route map that charts the route. But then I haven't been through some of those roads for quite a while now - so can't vouch for how good they are now.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 13:46   #70
BHPian

Re: Kumarakom - Bangalore : Route Queries

Hello fellow-BHPians...planning Bangalore to Kottayam around August 15th weekend. (I know its far but I am an early planner

After looking at various posts here, have kind of decided on Blr-Dindigul-Theni-Kottayam route.

I want to start in the afternoon from Bangalore and break the journey in/around Dindigul with an overnight stay. Several reasons...wife doesn't like a 12 hour drive...kid would get too fidgety etc....

Any suggestions of a decent hotel (around 2k for the night) not too far from the highway but which can offer a peaceful sleep? Also, do you guys think I need to book or take the chance and just drive in...Are there many hotels or limited choices...appreciate help ! thanks.
Old 31st May 2016, 15:01   #71
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Any suggestions of a decent hotel (around 2k for the night) not too far from the highway but which can offer a peaceful sleep? Also, do you guys think I need to book or take the chance and just drive in...Are there many hotels or limited choices...appreciate help ! thanks.
Try Parsons Court in Dindugal not too far from the highway, I guess about 5-7Km away.
OR
Drive till Theni and break at Western Gatz (start a bit earlier and stay at Theni, I think it's a better option).

Last edited by NPV : 31st May 2016 at 15:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Try Parsons Court in Dindugal not too far from the highway, I guess about 5-7Km away.
OR
Drive till Theni and break at Western Gatz (start a bit earlier and stay at Theni, I think it's a better option).
Totally agree with NPV's proposal. The first day drive till Theni is good so that you can take the second day drive fully in ghat roads. Driving all together is quite tiring and hectic.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:55   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I want to start in the afternoon from Bangalore and break the journey in/around Dindigul with an overnight stay.
Any suggestions of a decent hotel (around 2k for the night) not too far from the highway but which can offer a peaceful sleep?
For stopover in Dindigul you likely may have to go bit off highway because NH7 is kind of a Dindigul bypass. If you plan to break at Batlagundu little further to Dindigul, you may break right on the highway as the town is mostly along the highway.

You can try CST Crystal Inn and O2 Residency, both are bang on highway, both little after & before the central busy town respectively for peaceful sleep. I noticed both at bit outer location to core town, but can comment further only on former as happened to take a close look, and it looked inviting place.

Also, prices would be lessor in Batlagundu then Dindigul, as usually the case is with small towns like Batlagundu.
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 15:53   #74
BHPian

Thanks friends...starting tomorrow morning and doing as suggested ...staying at western gatz in Theni.

Its 15th aug weekend and some schools are off on 12th Aug as well (Vara Mahalakshmi) so it could mean many cars on the road...so lets see how I fare. Will post experience on return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
You can try CST Crystal Inn and O2 Residency,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Totally agree with NPV's proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Drive till Theni and break at Western Gatz
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:33   #75
BHPian

Took the route as prescribed on this thread.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Salem- Dindigul - Theni - Kumily - Kuttikkanam - Mundakkayam - Kanjirappally - Ponkunnam - Kottayam

Nothing new to report. Fantastic route. Stayed at Western Gatz in Theni for night halt in their deluxe room. Just about ok but not great...smell of urine in the corridors and room. No segregation of smoking/non-smoking rooms. Linen was clean. One peep under the bed and you see a mound of dirt and dust. Those allergic need to avoid. Restaurant ambiance not good although breakfast spread was acceptable. If I go again, I would try a Crystal Palace (was it?) hotel...before Theni...looked inviting although a bit away from town.

On return, stopped at Vivera Grande...good hotel...no complaints. Food a bit expensive for Dindigul but hop outside and there are decent options including the famed Dindigul biriyani!

Also stopped at a tea estate in Peermade and did some rough terrain on the car. But it was breathtaking place and worth the pain.

Kottayam traffic is something to be vary of. Find a way to avoid if you have to go through the town.

A good trip overall.
zing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed