Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 19:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kumarakom - Bangalore : Route Queries

Folks,

I have searched the forum and I can see many-many posts/queries for routes from Bangalore -> Munnar -> Kumarakom

But I am not sure of the routes coming back. The most common route mentioned in all the posts is through Thrissur, Waynad and Mysore.

The other route again is through Thrissur, Coimbattore. I am not sure if this is practical, as one can get caught in Coimbattore.

I was thinking about the route via Salem through Dindigul.

Take NH220 to Theni; NH45 to Dindigul and NH7 to Salem.

The point I wanted to raise is about the overnight stay involved in any of these routes. My opinion is that one has much more options at Salem/Coimbattore than in Waynad (correct me if I am wrong).

Salem seems to be the best option.

Is the NH220 and NH7 to Salem in a good state? I was planning to do this route in the near future.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks,

I have searched the forum and I can see many-many posts/queries for routes from Bangalore -> Munnar -> Kumarakom

But I am not sure of the routes coming back. The most common route mentioned in all the posts is through Thrissur, Waynad and Mysore.

The other route again is through Thrissur, Coimbattore. I am not sure if this is practical, as one can get caught in Coimbattore.

I was thinking about the route via Salem through Dindigul.

Take NH220 to Theni; NH45 to Dindigul and NH7 to Salem.

The point I wanted to raise is about the overnight stay involved in any of these routes. My opinion is that one has much more options at Salem/Coimbattore than in Waynad (correct me if I am wrong).

Salem seems to be the best option.

Is the NH220 and NH7 to Salem in a good state? I was planning to do this route in the near future.
for over night stays you observation is correct , but why would you need an overnight stay for a kumarakom to bangalore drive ? its easily done in 12-15 hours.

NH220 to theni is in good condition except for some small bad patches after kanjirapalliy and look out on the curves or the craters, This is a lovely drive and very scenic. from dindiguil to salem is a breeze , although there might be deviation for the 4laning work it should still be very comfortable.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

I cannot do that long a stretch in a day. That is why I was looking for breaking options and I did not want to do the Waynad route, as I have already been there.

Glad to note that the NH7 is complete and NH220 is also good. Will try it out then.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are breaking journey,and if you are on NH47 route,then Coimbatore would be too close.Salem is a better option.Though frankly the roads are in pretty good condition and Salem to Blr would not take you more than 4.5hrs to 5hrs.So depending on what time of the day you reach Salem,I would suggest you take a call and in any case entering Salem is going to take some time with all the traffic congestion and 4 ;laning in progress.In case you do not want to enter Salem,then you could take the Dindigul-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-reach NH47 @ Perundurai-take a left onto Mettur-Take a left at Thoppur to rejoin NH7 and drive onto Blore.Thoppur to Perundurai 4laning is still in progress so daytime drive would be a little tiring.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

You don't need to go to Salem. Take Trichur-Palghat route and break at Coimbatore. For a decent driver, Coimbatore-Bangalore is only 4.5 to 5.5 hrs drive anytime and Kumarakom-Coimbatore can be done in 4 to 6 hrs depending on the time you start.
Old 18th September 2009, 13:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

The distance to Salem via Dindigul is about ~400km (Long by my standards). From that point of view a stop at Coimbattore via Palghat is a better bet.

But I wanted to explore the Theni section, as hellstar mentioned it has very nice views.

I was aware of the Perinduari/Mettur/Thoppur section while searching through forum posts and google maps. In fact for that matter then we need not even go to Dindigul, if we want to bypass Salem. There should be many SH which should link Theni to Perindurai via Palani.

Apart from that, there are also other reasons not to go Coimbattore !
- Social Obligations !

Jokes apart, both Coimbattore and Salem are good options to break as the food served by the cities is just amazing. I was thinking to start late in the morning ~10-11; so that by evening 6-7, I should be able to make it to Salem.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I havent done any single day long drives so far (max is only around 150kms up and down by self) and another 560 kms up and down (major time driven by my cousine) on NH4. But I have plans to drive down to Kothattukulam (on the Angamaly - Kottayam MC road) this weekend. Here is my plan;

Start early morning around 6.30 and take the bangalore-mysore-bathery-calicut drive. Visit the beach and park and stay overnight at calicut. Next day early morning start for KKLM which could be reached by lunch time. So, I will have a clear idea of how tiring or straining it will be (as I will have to drive major portion myself, wife might assist in between, but there is a 5 month old baby drinking most of the time, so no gurantee on wife's assistance).

Based on the strain measurement of the above trip, I will have to plan the return which should be max by 4 days. That will be an attempt to cover the Trichur-palaghat-coimbatore-salem-hosur-bangalore in one stretch. Even with few breaks in between I should be covering the return (assuming the start at 6am) by dinner time. In case there is a requirement of an overnight stay, I would prefer Coimbatore or Salem.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

guy planning on the angamaly - trichur - palghat section please account for the bad roads in that section also account for the heavy traffic in this sector made worse due to the on going 4 laning work.
Old 18th September 2009, 15:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
That will be an attempt to cover the Trichur-palaghat-coimbatore-salem-hosur-bangalore in one stretch. Even with few breaks in between I should be covering the return (assuming the start at 6am) by dinner time. In case there is a requirement of an overnight stay, I would prefer Coimbatore or Salem.
Account for some bad roads till Walayar and plan your travel so that your KKLM-Walayar stretch will be on a less traffic time. 6AM is a good start so that you can be at Bangalore at 2/3/4pm (the way you drive) with 1-2 stops. I don't think you need an overnight stay for this stretch.

Coimbatore-Bangalore can be easily done in around 5 hrs with a kid on board as the roads are in good shape.

Last edited by coolclouds : 18th September 2009 at 15:27.
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

So is the Kumarakom Trichur road in good condition? I was looking at the Kerla roads related post but totally got lost.

Also now I have new requirement. I need to spend some time in Trichur, before I move to Coimbattore. I guess both legs would be about 3-4 hours each (kumarkom -> Trichure) and (Trichur -> Coimbattore)
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So is the Kumarakom Trichur road in good condition? I was looking at the Kerla roads related post but totally got lost.

Also now I have new requirement. I need to spend some time in Trichur, before I move to Coimbattore. I guess both legs would be about 3-4 hours each (kumarkom -> Trichure) and (Trichur -> Coimbattore)
Kumarakom-Trichur would be around 125kms and Trichur-Coimbatore another 115kms. Both legs can be done in 2 - 3 hrs

Construction is going on between Angamaly & Trichur thus there are few diversions/potholes but nothing to worry.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

So should I take SH till Ernakulam (via Vaikom, SH15) and then follow NH47?

Or as in another post I checked:

"You can also NH47 at Angamali by coming from KUmarakom via Kottayam, Muvattupuzha, Perumbavoor and Kalady, which will be short and avoid the city/ bypass traffic of Ernakulam/ Kochi."

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...kom-route.html

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2009 at 14:07.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

I suggest following routes on preference

1. Kumarakom-Vechoor-Thanneermukkom bund and join NH47 at Cherthalai
2. Kumarakom-Vaikom - Tripunithura - Vyttila (join NH47)
3. Kumarakom - Kottayam - Perumbavoor- Angamaly (join NH47)

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd September 2009 at 14:59.
Old 16th November 2009, 21:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I suggest following routes on preference

1. Kumarakom-Vechoor-Thanneermukkom bund and join NH47 at Cherthalai
2. Kumarakom-Vaikom - Tripunithura - Vyttila (join NH47)
3. Kumarakom - Kottayam - Perumbavoor- Angamaly (join NH47)
So which is a good option of the three? I am open to either of them, based on which road is in better condition.

Last edited by ampere : 16th November 2009 at 21:45.
Old 17th November 2009, 02:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Will recommend 2nd route.May be ,get into seaport airport road from thrippunithura and connect to angamaly.

Kottayam-Angamaly is 2 hours drive through hilly MC Road till Muvattupuzha.Road Surfacing is Bad(Currently).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks