BHPian

A google snapshot of the ghat
Attached Thumbnails
Best Route to Chorla Ghat - Need Advise-tilari.jpg  

Old 26th September 2009, 17:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Where is this Tilari Ghat? I have been very intrigued by this route. someone before has mentioned going from Belgaum to panaji without touching Londa.
Hello Goandude,
I was wondering how come you don't know this route... Spitfire has answered your query...
Anyway here are some links to info on it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...i-2-goa-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...pur-goa-3.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...eciated-6.html

My house painter in Goa is from Kolhapur. He uses this route to go home from Goa. Says it's a steep ghat of 8 Km or so and the Amboli is nothing compared to it. The vegetable tempos from belgaim to Goa use this route. But some one told me I wont be able to make it in my Indigo. So I prefer to stick to Amboli.

SAHIR.KITTUR is the person who knows this route the best.

@Spitfire what exactly is bottlelegging?
Old 27th September 2009, 10:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hello Goandude,
I was wondering how come you don't know this route... Spitfire has answered your query...
SAHIR.KITTUR is the person who knows this route the best.

Thanks. for the info. it was all here on the above links and the Pm you sent me.
The bottom line, as i understand now,
for the quickest and best route from Goa to Pune / Mumbai is thus:-
1. Sawantwadi amboli sankleshwar NH4
2. Ponda NH4A Mollem Londa Belgaum NH4
3. Not recommended Mapusa, Assonora, Tilari ghat, Phatne Phata, Belgaum NH4
Old 27th September 2009, 11:33   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Similar to bootlegging. This is liquor carried in non-liquor bottles. Lot of transporters along that route do it. You will see guys carrying alcohol in soda bottles, soft drink bottles or mineral water bottles even medicine bottles.

Why do you think that route is not very well known about??

Some of the drinks like feni cannot be legally send over the border without permits or cleareances unless taken for medicinal purposes. They carry them in bottles meant for carying other liquid stuff instead.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks. for the info. it was all here on the above links and the Pm you sent me.
The bottom line, as i understand now,
for the quickest and best route from Goa to Pune / Mumbai is thus:-
1. Sawantwadi amboli sankleshwar NH4
3. Not recommended Mapusa, Assonora, Tilari ghat, Phatne Phata, Belgaum NH4
Just some additional info:

1. Sawantwadi amboli sankeshwar NH4:The alternate to this route is Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajra-Uttur-NH4 @ Nipani.At present Nipani route is better as the Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Ajra is reportedly not all that great.

This is not even an option for a long time to come.Londa-Anmod-Molem the NH4A has disappeared.Would take you around 5hrs to cover 140kms and count yourself lucky if you survive the drive without bent rims,broken steering shafts etc
Old 27th September 2009, 14:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Goandude You're welcome. Don't knwo if the Tillari ghat route is not recommended maybe Sahir will lets knwo about this

@Spitfire Thanks for the info about the bootlegging of the old days. I didn't say anything about the route not being well known. Just wondered howcome Goandude didn't know about it.

@ranjitp1 Any fresh or latest info on this Uttur Ajra route. I'm driving down to Goa after Divali so would prefer to take the better of the two routes
Old 27th September 2009, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Well, I will not recommend this route to anybody, but frankly speaking it should be done once in a life time. I love this place, specially in the rains. Guys try & find some videos on youtube. search for tilari / belgaum. And any of you guys would like to do a meet at Tilari in the coming next weeks, i am in !
Old 28th September 2009, 11:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Goandude You're welcome. Don't knwo if the Tillari ghat route is not recommended maybe Sahir will lets knwo about this

@Spitfire Thanks for the info about the bootlegging of the old days. I didn't say anything about the route not being well known. Just wondered howcome Goandude didn't know about it.

@ranjitp1 Any fresh or latest info on this Uttur Ajra route. I'm driving down to Goa after Divali so would prefer to take the better of the two routes
Nipani-Uttur-Left-Ajra-Amboli-S'wadi route is better.I did this route a couple of days back and when I enquired at Ajra,locals reccomended the Nipani route instead of the Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar one.I am sure you know where to take the turn off at Tawandi Ghat,if not let me know and shall post the directions.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Well, I will not recommend this route to anybody, but frankly speaking it should be done once in a life time. I love this place, specially in the rains. Guys try & find some videos on Youtube. search for tilari / belgaum. And any of you guys would like to do a meet at Tilari in the coming next weeks, i am in !
Sahir,

I have travelled to Belgaum using all the 4 popular routes

1. Via Londa- now ruled out (last travelled May 09 -Wagon R)
2. Via Amboli ( Last travelled Dec09-Wagon R)
3. Via Chorla- Now ruled out
4. Via Tilari
I remember doing the Tilari Belgaum stretch about 5 yrs back on an Yamaha Rx-100 with my cousin & remember those steep climbs. I also remember there were some M800 & maruti vans following us.

Was just curious why you are not recommending this route. Road condition what i gather is not as bad!!!!
Old 29th September 2009, 14:32   #25
BHPian

Rajiv - Bang,
Well many people here want the best roads with runway tarmac, for those people i dont recommend this route. As you have done this route, you must be knowing the beauty of it.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:51   #26
BHPian

Sahir,

I definitely agree it is one of the best travel experiences i have had. I also remember there is one turn really steep where i wasn't sure whether the bike would manage to move up with two people. It is the most steep climb though not verry long, i have come across in entire south india.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ranjitp1, Thanks a lot, I know the Nipani and Sankeshwar turns. Done lots of trips on the two routes to amboli

Rajiv-Bang Do you have news that says that the tilari ghat roads are in good condition. I've seen a few photos of that route it seemed bad to me.

Sahir-Kittur I've found one video on youtube, need to view it though
Old 29th September 2009, 17:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
I keep repeating this on this forum, The shortest route from Belgaum to Panjim is through Tilari ghat.
Actually, it should be Chorla ghat. Belgaum - Mapusa through this route is just 110 km. Tilary ghat is much longer, especially in summers as you can't take your car by ferry due to river levels being low and you being unable to get the car into the ferry.
However, Tilary ghat is better than Chorla ghat. Chorla ghat's entire stretch is bad. Tilary ghat is screwed only in the approach road and the actual ghat section which is very short.
Chorla's resort Wildernest's business is suffering because of the roadis suffering
Old 29th September 2009, 17:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Ranjitp1, Thanks a lot, I know the Nipani and Sankeshwar turns. Done lots of trips on the two routes to amboli

Rajiv-Bang Do you have news that says that the tilari ghat roads are in good condition. I've seen a few photos of that route it seemed bad to me.

Sahir-Kittur I've found one video on Youtube, need to view it though
deutscheafrikar,

I just spoke to my cousin in Belgaum, he says the tilari road has been repaired now but suggested via Amboli is a better option on my trip to belgaum from mapusa. I may drive down to Goa from Bangalore on 2-3 Oct (tentative) if i go will find out more from my friends/relatives there.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:52   #30
BHPian

Please see the snap shot, if I get time in next couple of weeks, i will surely do both the routes. I am sure all are eager to see the pictures of these less travelled routes.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Route to Chorla Ghat - Need Advise-route.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks