Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 10:13   #1
BHPian

Thekkady - Gavi Trip Query

Has anybody done any recent trips to GAVI ?, An Eco tourist place near Thekkady. I heard it is nice place to visit. I have a plan to visit Thekkady, Ramkkalmedu, Gavi. Please suggest the driving directions, and Road conditions in this area. I have 3 days and planned to stay in Kattappana on both days.

Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th September 2009 at 10:36. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid using external font editors, Thanks
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:31   #2
BHPian

Gavi, 28kms off VandiPeriyar.Vandiperiyar is a town on the Kottayam-Kumali Road and around 14kms before Kumali. Vandiperiyar to Gavi Road was bad, better have a Jeep or an SUV. The Road info is nearly one year old (and unlikely to be any better). You need to book and take a pass from the Gavi booking office in Thekkady, 0486923270 before you can go to Gavi from the Vandi Periyar side (If you take the Pathanamthitta Gavi route and you can make a payment at Gavi itself, but this make sense only if you are coming from south Kerala). They have a one day programme as well as a programme for over night stay.
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have been making plans but none of them have materialised yet ! Take a look at this website too - :: Gavi Eco Tourism :: About Us
Old 9th October 2009, 08:34   #4
BHPian

I have done this trip. but had to avoid Gavi, due to bad weather. We were at Thekkadi at 30 sept. and am starting a new thread for that in the travelogue.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:44   #5

we have finalized a trip to gavi on christmas - stay at the place and all. anyone else visited the place recently?
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Hi archangal,
have you done this trip? if yes how was it (road condition, journey and stay)?
Old 4th February 2010, 16:45   #7
joe
BHPian

Spent coupe of days in Pachakanam which is just before Gavi. We stayed in a estate bungalow, did see some wild buffalo and monkeys.

The road was very good right from Vandiperiyar to Pachakanam but you need to be careful as it is narrow in most places.
Old 6th February 2010, 12:02   #8
sun
BHPian

Spent a day at Gavi on 30th Jan. Beautiful place. Roads are very good via Vandiperiyar route. Route to Gavi via Pathanamthitta is closed to normal traffic for 3 months as a precaution against forest fires. Only the pathanamthitta - Gavi KSRTC bus and forest dept vehicles are allowed to pass through. So only approach to Gavi is via Vandiperiyar side.

Wild life spotting is not that great during this time, saw a small herd of elephants on a hill top during our trekking there. Wild life is said to be plenty along the forest reserve enroute to pathanamthitta, which unfortunately is closed now.

I may have a google kml file for the route if somebody is interested ..
Old 20th July 2010, 10:51   #9
BHPian

I started the thread last year, when I had a plan to visit Gavi. But unfortunately that didnt happen. So am planning again this year. What are the places we can visit in Gavi ? I am not planning for a stay there. As am coming from Thiruvalla, I will be taking the pathanamthitta - Gavi Route. and going back in the same day through the same route.

I have got a link from picasa, Any body intrested can visit
Picasa Web Albums - Sujith Bhakthan - A Trip To Gav...
Old 25th July 2010, 14:39   #10
sun
BHPian

with only a day at your disposal, you may not be able to do any thing other that the routine schedule at gavi.

but any way check PeerMade.info® | Nature & Environment| Photography & Media | Travel & Adventure| Computers & Technology | for other points of interest.

After you go, please comment on the pathanamthitta - gavi route.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Re: Thekkady - Gavi Trip Query

Hai Folks,any updates on the road conditions and entry restrictions to Gavi. Also how is the Green mansion which seems to be the only stay option in Gavi.
Would love to have some updates to plan a weekend trip from BLR.
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:19   #12
BHPian

I plan to visit Gavi. Is private cars allowed on Vandiperiyar-Gavi route? I may enter from Vandiperiyar side and exit through Erumely. Is it feasible in one day?

And most importantly, any latest updates on road conditions?
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:48   #13
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Stayed in eco lodge gavi for four days in October. Brilliant place to stay. Very economical too. Just that the food menu keeps repeating itself.

Pictures up here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shyamk/tags/gavi/

Shyam

Yes, private cars are allowed on that road, provided you book at the eco lodge. One cannot take private cars beyond Gavi. There is a forest checkpost beyond gavi where they will stop you. However, public buses ply on towards the sabarimala dam. There are jeep tours from gavi itself which can take you deep inside the woods.

Further, we opted for two night stay on the banks of the river in a tent. The highlight of the stay in that tent was the blood curling cry of the great indian hornbill during evenings.

Overall, I would strongly suggest a visit to gavi. There are bus loads of tourists who make a single day trip to that place. That is not worth the journey at all.

One should stay there for a day or two to experience the birds and the wildlife as they come out early in the morning, much before the tourist buses come in.

Shyam

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2013 at 14:06. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 4th March 2013, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Thank you Shyam for the info. So one can't pass thru Gavi :( I thought it is possible to enter through Vandiperiyar side and exit through Angamuzhi side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks