Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 21:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Update from last month is that except for a few bad patches, the NH7 from Nagpur via Jabalpur and Rewa to Varanasi is good.

You do not have to go to Jaipur to go to Lucknow, you can go from Udaipur via Chittorgarh, Kota, Shivpuri and Jhansi to Kanpur and thereon Lucknow. Shivpuri-Jhansi section is being widened and has bad sections though.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:22   #17
BHPian

Thanks HVK, but we plan to visit Jaipur so that's why. What I now need to know is what is the best way to avoid Agra city? Because the highway seems to be running right through the city and it is likely to consume at least two hours if not less.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is a bypass for Agra when you come from Jaipur. It starts around 10 kms before Agra town and joins NH2 after Sikhandra. However, the bypass is perpetually in bad condition, and check out with truck drivers before you take the road.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

I can see there is too much variation in your plan, from your first post and intermidiate post.

I would suggest

1. Finalize you route plan based on different maps available online
2. Count distance and find places based your anticipated per day driving schedule.
3. Note down all distances, average time, places in a excel sheet or notepad.
4. Ask in forum about road conditions, hotel stay and so on.

If you could have done long drive earlier this will help you the chalk out more appropriate plans. Also for this much long distances prepare for everything (keep all neccesary tools, mobile etc).

If possible buy one GPS and load it with appropriate maps for peace of mind.
Old 17th October 2009, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot hvk. I tried to look for the bypass on the map but could not. I will keep in mind to ask the truckers there.

On google map, i see a road coming off NH11 to malpura, village rohta, fatehabad further on to fatehabad and then to lucknow via kanpur. Would anyone suggest this road to avoid Agra city?

Alternative route suggested by Google Maps is via Mathura - Hathras which is longer by about an hour. Would it be better as compared to going through Agra?

@anujmishra, thanks for your input. But all that you mentioned is already being done. Point no 4 is exactly what I am doing here, trying to find out route/road conditions. Broadly speaking there has been only one change, instead of 14 days drive it is shrunk to half that and due to that, the route enquiries.

I got GPS on my phone which is coupled with Google Earth on my laptop. That would take care of my real time tracking.
Old 18th October 2009, 08:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Agra bypass (when you come from Jaipur on Nh11) is to the left and connects with Nh2 north of Agra. Even if it is good, it is convenient only for those going to Delhi, and not south to Lucknow.

Avoid the Hathras route, not good, and very messy driving through small towns of UP. Take the longest highway route possible!

Be careful of your GPS navigation systems - they plot routes without considering the best route (not just short distance).

Considering everything, I think it best to go into Agra city and reach NH2!
Old 18th October 2009, 09:48   #22
BHPian

I get that. Even I was a little skeptical about the hathras route primarily because of certain stories I've heard.

So be it, I am going through the Agra City. Wonder how much extra time do I have to cater for a distance of 30 km? If I start early by 4-5 am from Jaipur, I would reach by 8-9 am and maybe I will be able to beat the city traffic at Agra. (I would have to keep in mind the 'early morning sleep syndrome'.)

and yes.. One can hardly go totally on routes decided by computers/GPS. Had that been the case, tbhp wouldn't have had section on routes and travel queries. I've been using the GPS for about ten years now, and the least one can learn is to never rely completely on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks