Team-BHP - My Great Indian Road Trip - Inputs solicited.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   My Great Indian Road Trip - Inputs solicited. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/66132-my-great-indian-road-trip-inputs-solicited.html)

Hi guys. I seriously need some help here. I am planning a road trip in my new Jazz in last week of October. Me, wife and one year old kid.

Itenarary:-

Chennai - Bangalore - Sagar - Goa (3 nights) - Pune - Vadodara - Chittorgarh (2 nights) - Jaipur (2 nights) - Lucknow.

Total Distance about 3500 kms across eight states, on google maps.

So, here are my queries,

a. First thing first, the suggested routes - basically road conditions/traffic etc.

b. Places to stay - Decent but on a budget.

c. Inputs on weather on western ghats during this time.

d. Any other input on places to see, making the trip more comfortable, tips and tricks of particular areas etc would be of immense help. A little bit of shuffling/modifications of itinerary is possible as well. So please keep those suggestions coming in.

Hi cpyder,

First congratulations on planning this expedition - it is nothing short of an expedition.

A couple of quick points :

1. Consult the Eicher All India Road Map - this will provide you with the basic information of the routes and stopping destinations.
2. I see that your route zigzags - for example any particular reason for travelling north to Sagar ( in MP) and then driving southwards to Goa? I think a route rationalisation might be in order especially as you will have a 1 year old child. It's your call of course. Download Google Maps on your cell - this will be helpful in knowing your exact position ( down to a few kms) as it uses GPS.
3. Try to drive during the daytime as you're travelling with your family, especially in the lawless north and west ( MP, UP, Rajasthan and so on), resting at night in cities with decent accommodation.
4. Budget has different connotations for different people - if you specify the range you might get focussed replies from fellow bhp-ians on hotels.
5. Lastly drive safe, take snaps, share your experiences and if possible keep a log ( wrt distances, times, fuel refills and so on, if possible).

Happy driving!

I just got back from a drive through the Western Ghats. Its raining in most parts right now. But by the last week of October, the rains should have stopped.

As for the route, I cannot comment on the full route. But, Bangalore to Sagar the roads are in good condition for the most part. The only stretch that really annoying is Bangalore to Nelamangala.

After Sagar, I'm guessing you plan to take Honnavar-Karwar-Panjim route. Sagar -Honnavar (till Gokarna) again the roads are in good condition. I'm not too sure after that.

~Morgul

Quote:

Originally Posted by issigonis (Post 1500592)
Hi cpyder,

2. I see that your route zigzags - for example any particular reason for travelling north to Sagar ( in MP) and then driving southwards to Goa?

Sir, The Sagar place is not the one in MP, but is in karnataka, enroute Goa.
So no zig-zag there.

With wifey and kid I would wait until the rains settle in and then plan ahead. What are the planned dates ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpyder (Post 1500564)
Hi guys. I seriously need some help here. I am planning a road trip in my new Jazz in last week of October. Me, wife and one year old kid.

Itenarary:-

Chennai - Bangalore - Sagar - Goa (3 nights) - Pune - Vadodara - Chittorgarh (2 nights) - Jaipur (2 nights) - Lucknow.

Total Distance about 3500 kms across eight states, on google maps.

So, here are my queries,

a. First thing first, the suggested routes - basically road conditions/traffic etc.

b. Places to stay - Decent but on a budget.

c. Inputs on weather on western ghats during this time.

d. Any other input on places to see, making the trip more comfortable, tips and tricks of particular areas etc would be of immense help. A little bit of shuffling/modifications of itinerary is possible as well. So please keep those suggestions coming in.

cpyder, good wishes for the trip. My few comments here.

(1) Chennai to Goa would be long 15-16 hours of drive time. I hope you are comfortable with that, because with breaks included it would becomes 17-18 hours. Also i hope you are clear about how and when to pass through(or bypass) bangalore. If done through wrong route and at wrong time, it will simply add another hour or two to your time.

(2) Goa to Chittorgarh in one day is looking extremely looong. A distance of 1500kms roughly, would easily take 20+ hours of drive, or even more.
I would suggest you break this leg into two parts. Stay somewhere after bypassing mumbai, or even later if you want.
For reaching Pune from Goa, please search on the forum to know about the latest conditions and decide on the fastest way out to NH4.

(3) For Jaipur to Lucknow leg, take the route Jaipur-Agra-Kanpur-Lucknow.
Jaipur to Agra is about 230kms and the road is good for most of the distance. Agra to Kanpur is superb and so should be Kanpur to Lucknow.
This is doable in a day.

(4) For stay in Jaipur, i would suggest you look for hotels located in Bani Park area. Nice area with lots of options. The hotel here should be anywhere between 1kto 2k range. Although you should ask deky and other Jaipur guys to help you out with this one.

If you want we can discuss the details over PMs or phone.

Cheers,
Prasoon

Ok, my apologies, I was not clear enough when I put up my itinerary in my first post. Each of the places mentioned is a one night halt unless mentioned otherwise. I plan to drive for not more than 7-8 hours or about 500 kms a day (whichever is less). Full 'expedition' over about two weeks' time.

For budget stays I mean the range of 1 to 2k per night, give or take a couple of hundreds. Inputs on Tourism Department stay options are welcome. From my personal experience, the locations of these government run hotels/resorts/dak bungalows etc is usually the best. Services, are as would be expected of a govt organisation. But if the property is decently maintained, they sure are value for money. So any inputs and contact details are welcome.

@pkumar, thanks for your input on Bani Park area.

@prince, we would start in last week of october, around 24-25th.

I guess the rains should be over by then. People from western ghat areas, I could use your feedback on the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpyder (Post 1500699)
Ok, my apologies, I was not clear enough when I put up my itinerary in my first post. Each of the places mentioned is a one night halt unless mentioned otherwise. I plan to drive for not more than 7-8 hours or about 500 kms a day (whichever is less). Full 'expedition' over about two weeks' time.

For budget stays I mean the range of 1 to 2k per night, give or take a couple of hundreds. Inputs on Tourism Department stay options are welcome. From my personal experience, the locations of these government run hotels/resorts/dak bungalows etc is usually the best. Services, are as would be expected of a govt organisation. But if the property is decently maintained, they sure are value for money. So any inputs and contact details are welcome.

talk to HVkumar , right now he is on a trip to the himalayas , wait and week before PMing him , he will guide you better than anyone else will turn by turn updates and road conditions.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008

Check out the above log book - has the route details for:
Madras-Bangalore-Chitradurga-Davangere-Haveri-Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Bombay
Bombay-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishnagarh-Jaipur
Agra-Etawah-Kanpur

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Uttaranchal, Sep 2005
This has the log books for the Agra-Bharatpur-Jaipur route

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKSNorth East India, Bhutan & East-West Drive Apr 2009
This link has the route profile for the Lucknow-Kanpur sector

If you want to go via Sagar, you can turn off NH4 at Harihar and go via Honnali and Shimoga. Alternatively, you can take NH63 from Hubli to Ankola via Yellapur and go via Karwar to Goa.

From Goa, you have the choice of taking NH17 to Bombay via Rajapur and Chiplun or turn off NH17 at Savantwadi and join NH4 near Nippani (between Belgaum and Kolhapur) via Amboli and Ajra.

You can bypass Bombay by taking the Belapur-Nerul-Turbhe-Airoli-Mulund-Thane-Ghodbunder route.

You can bypass Ahmedabad by getting onto Sardar Patel Ring Road from teh Baroda-A'Bad expressway itself and go via the Ranasana and Ramol Circles to rejoin NH8.

Thanks hvkumar, you have some serious log books maintained. Impressive.

But now I have to make some changes. Looks like I can no longer have the lavish drive I dreamt for. Not at least right now. So, I got to change my itenarary almost entirely. Sigh! Here is the situation : I have Seven days with me + 2-3 days for contingency.

Need tbhpians' inputs/suggestions on this route:-

Chennai - Hyderabad (Any comments about the situations here after recent floods?0
Hyderabad - Nagpur
Nagpur - Jabalpur - Rewa - Allahabad - (Heard Roads around Rewa are real bad (8 months ago), any recent inputs??)

Apart from this, any route variations are also acceptable if they can make me reach Allahabad in 7-10 days. As far as possible not more than 7-8 hours of drive.

Help please..

hey cpyder.. all the best for your road trip. I plan to do the Delhi - Chennai route during the first week of November. Just that it would be a one way trip. Plan to reach delhi and drive back down to Chennai. Since close to half your trip coincides with the route I intend to take, I ll try and pass on some info I gathered about the routes and accommodation as soon as I can.

All the best again. Godspeed

Thanks petrol head. That would be nice of you. And since I would be covering the distance right before you, you can have the first hand latest account from me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpyder (Post 1529877)
..........Need tbhpians' inputs/suggestions on this route:-
Chennai - Hyderabad (Any comments about the situations here after recent floods?..........

No problems on the Chennai - Hyderabad route via NH5 -Chilakaluripet/Addanki -Nalgonda.

> Bangalore is a waste of time unless you have a specific reason. Its just a concrete jungle with innumerable traffic mess.
> You seem to be visiting friends more than seeing places. There's lots more enroute than pune/vadodara itself.
> PLEASE include jodhpur - its the MOST IMMACULATE fort by far in Rajasthan IMNSHO.
> Spend one day in Udaipur as well.

Jaipur to LKO is through Agra (no stoppage?) and then onwards on NH2 to Kanpur and then to LKO. Assume about 5-6 hours ex Agra

@thanks straightdrive.

@Phamilyman, the initial itenarary has changed. And now it has changed to just reaching Lucknow/Allahabad.

Feedback about MP roads is very bad thats why I want to avoid it. I have two routes planned as mentioned in my previous post. As per straightdrive Chennai - Hyderabad is unaffected from floods etc so I can reach Hyd. From there I have two routes:-

Hyderabad - Nagpur (01 night) - Jabalpur - Rewa - Allahabad

Second one

Hyderabad - Pune - Vadodara - Jaipur - Lucknow (01 night at every place)

Still waiting for someone to give feedback on Nagpur-Jabalpur-Rewa-Allahabad route.
Any other suggestions of change are route are welcome as well.