Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 16:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

I don't think this would be a good time to visit Yercaud as temperatures would be high ( I guess almost comparable to Bangalore). I suggest you visit Kodaikanal/Ooty instead. You can do Bangalore Kodai in approx 8 hours
Old 19th March 2010, 20:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I don't think this would be a good time to visit Yercaud as temperatures would be high ( I guess almost comparable to Bangalore). I suggest you visit Kodaikanal/Ooty instead. You can do Bangalore Kodai in approx 8 hours
If you just want some different place as compared to Bangalore for a weekend, it might be worth it, else as suggested by Pramod go to cooler places like Ooty/Kodai/Conoor.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:51   #18
BHPian

I had been to Yercaud last week. The temparature feels just chill during nights.
During day the temp is same as Bangalore. But, not that hot though.

Enjoyed the trip.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you just want some different place as compared to Bangalore for a weekend, it might be worth it, else as suggested by Pramod go to cooler places like Ooty/Kodai/Conoor.
You can do Bangalore Yercard in approx 5 hours (Without break). Temparature cold/chill in the night but not much difference in the day time. You can enjoy couple of days for sure.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good time to visit Yercaud ?

The family has decided we are going to Hogenakkal tomorrow morning (7AM-ish), leave from there around 2:30 or 3PM for Yercaud reaching between 6 and 7 PM, stay overnight at Shevaroys and return in the evening of Wednesday (26th).

My role in the decision making process so far has been "the guy who will drive us around" and nothing more. I just wanted to know if the itinerary is feasible or not (the wife has booked rooms at Yercaud already). I am planning an uncomplicated route - NH7 till Dharmapuri, then Pennagaram-Hogenakkal, back same route, NH7 till Salem outskirts, what Google Maps calls Sarada College Road and SH-188, returning the same way. I drive a Civic, so ground clearance is an issue and hence wouldn't want to try bad roads.

Please let me know possible caveats.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Binand,
Everything is perfect in your plan. Everything is possible. Yercaud sight seeing for me 3 Hours enough. If you visit all the places 8 to 17 Hrs is more than enough. Once you enter from bangalore Road(Dharmapuri Road) to Salem You check the 4 or 5 roads junction take right. Then follow second left road and it will lead you to Yercaud. There are 20 hairpin bends on the hill. Once you climb with in 7 kms and 10kms you will see group pf monkeys on the road. If the kids are with you take some puffed rice or fried channa which the monkeys enjoy a lot and the kids enjoy the monkeys. Season is not too chilly.May be like Bangalore's weather.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 11:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

We did the trip to Yercaud (out: 25/10, in: 26/10), though eventually decided to skip Hogenakkal. Some points to note for people contemplating the same trip:

1. NH7 is, as with all completed NHDP roads, a dream to drive on. Bangalore-Krishnagiri was a known stretch to me and Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem is equally good - if anything, it is a tad better (since the traffic is less). The total toll between Krishnagiri and Salem is 73 (Thopur) + 58 (Omalur) = Rs. 131.

2. There is a toll of Rs. 15 for the ascend to Yercaud, collected at the start (this toll is not collected when coming downhill). Presumably this money goes for the upkeep of the road, which is in excellent condition.

3. The route from NH7 to Yercaud Road is well-signposted within Salem. Just take the first entrance to the city, take a left at a large five-road junction and a further left at the next four-road junction.

4. The less said about the traffic uphill to (and downhill from) Yercaud, the better. A bunch of monkeys driving the same fleet would manage it safer, in my opinion. I noticed at several places bikers parked with bottles and glasses.

5. Stopped at A2B on our return. Much less crowded than the one between Hosur/Krishnagiri. For the GPS folks, this one comes at 12.0167N, 78.0893E.

The weather at Yercaud was just fantastic - though it rained a bit. I had left my blackberry and laptop/photon back in Bangalore - so it was 24 hours of pure bliss :-). We stayed at a small resort called the Grange, where the villas were comfortable and the food was really good (Rs. 1900 plus tax per night).

The door-to-door (same door - that of my apartment) trip meter reading is 488 km.

Last edited by binand : 1st November 2011 at 11:02. Reason: distance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks