Team-BHP - Gurgaon, Haryana to Katra, Jammu
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Gurgaon, Haryana to Katra, Jammu (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/66408-gurgaon-haryana-katra-jammu.html)

I am planning a trip to Mata Vaishnodevi. I plan to drive up in my Safari. Firstly would one advice the trip by road? What is the total KM and how much of time would it take? What is the route that I should follow?

The reason I am driving down is that I plan to spend 1 night at Patnitop on the way back.

Hi,

It is a simple route. Take NH-1 from Delhi and proceed on it to Karnal, Ambala, Rajpura, Ludhiana, Phagwara and from there till Jalandhar. Till now you have just used the GT Road and there should be no confusion whatsoever. At Jalandhar, ask for the Pathankot Road and that would take you straight to Pathankot. Continue onward on NH-1A and you will reach Jammu. I think total distance will be 650-700 kms and it can be done by road

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akadian (Post 1506788)
Hi,

It is a simple route. Take NH-1 from Delhi and proceed on it to Karnal, Ambala, Rajpura, Ludhiana, Phagwara and from there till Jalandhar. Till now you have just used the GT Road and there should be no confusion whatsoever. At Jalandhar, ask for the Pathankot Road and that would take you straight to Pathankot. Continue onward on NH-1A and you will reach Jammu. I think total distance will be 650-700 kms and it can be done by road

Thanks Akadian.
If I stop over at Chandigarh and then go to Katra, will it be the same route? Since I am going with my family, I thought I should have a stop over in between. How long do you think it will take from Chandigarh?

Actually, the route I have suggested will not have Chandigarh on it. And if you really want to see Chandigarh on the way as well, that would also not be a big deal. You just have to go to Chandigarh from Ambala instead of continuing on NH-1 and going towards Rajpura. From Chandigarh then you would have to go to Ludhiana and beyond that route will be same as I had suggested initially.

From Chandigarh to Katra via Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Pathankot is almost 400+ kms and will take you 6-7 hours IMO

New Delhi to Jammu is a 10 hour drive at sedate speeds. What I suggest is you go to Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine board web site and do a room booking using the site. Katra is close to two hours from Jammu depending upon traffic situation and road repair work. If you start early, by 6 AM, you can be in Jammu by 6PM latest. Drive on to Katra and get your initial Yatra Slip made. If you have booked for a stay at Katra, stay overnight and start the climb early morning. During September, sun will get pretty harsh by 10AM, so that's a point to consider if you have your family with you.

Ideally, you should start the climb in the evening hours to be at Darbar by 9-10PM. It is a 3-4 hour climb if you do it at sedate rate. Best thing would be to stay overnight at Darbar and have Darshan in the morning (this heavily depends upon rush). If you want to go to patnitop, you have to go further north from Katra. Patnitop is not on the way from Katra to Jammu.

My replies in Bold

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Road (Post 1506498)
I am planning a trip to Mata Vaishnodevi. I plan to drive up in my Safari. Firstly would one advice the trip by road?

Yes, definitely you can take up this trip by road.

But still better to take a train or flight to Jammu as one needs to take up 14 km journey from Katra to Mata Bhawan and it is always better to preserve energy.

What is the total KM and how much of time would it take? What is the route that I should follow?

Gurgaon - Delhi - Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Pathankot-Jammu-Katra

Total distance: 700 km ; Approx. time:12-14 hours depending upon speed breaks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Road (Post 1506536)
The reason I am driving down is that I plan to spend 1 night at Patnitop on the way back.

Patnitop does not have anything to offer in this season. Anyway, just 1.5 hours drive from Katra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Road (Post 1507039)
Thanks Akadian.
If I stop over at Chandigarh and then go to Katra, will it be the same route? Since I am going with my family, I thought I should have a stop over in between. How long do you think it will take from Chandigarh?

If you think that 12 hour journey is too much, you must take a break. Chandigarh is just 250 km, a 4.5 hour drive from Gurgaon. From Chandigarh you can follow Ropar- Hosiarpur - Pathankot route. Chandigarh - Katra will take around 8-10 hours.

Suggest you start early say 5 am & drive till Katra at a comfortable pace with frequent breaks.

Suggested schedule:
Gurgaon start: 5 am - cross Delhi by 6am - Reach Karnal by 7:30am breakfast at haveli/oasis/ jhilmil dhabaa ( 1 hour break) - cross Ambala by 9:30 am - ludhiana at 11 am - reach Jalandhar haveli by 12 pm ( have lunch) - cross Pathankot by 3pm - reach Madhopur @ 3:30pm ( Tea break at canal banks) - cross Jammu by 5pm through byepass - reach katra by 6:30 pm

@breezydrive
Thanks for the update, i will be driving down to katra from Delhi next week.
do u have any updates to share. any good pit stop..any bad patch of road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keralshobhit (Post 2566948)
@breezydrive
i will be driving down to katra from Delhi next week.
do u have any updates to share. any good pit stop..any bad patch of road.

Drove to Katra on 05 Oct 11. During an earlier trip in Apr found frequent diversions on NH1 from Karnal to Mukerian due to fly over constructions. So took the following route :-
- Delhi-Ambala NH1
- Turned right to Ropar (Rupnagar) via Banur, Kharar just prior to Shambhu border toll gate immediately after Ambala.
- NH21 from Ropar to Kiratpur
- Chandigarh-Phagwara highway from Kiratpur to Balachor
- Turned right at Balachor and headed to Dasuya via Hoshiarpur
- Joined NH1A at Dasuya and headed to Katra via Jammu bypass and Pathankot bypass.

Interior roads in Punjab were very good with sparse traffic. Single carriage in most sections though.

Total distance 660km approx. Delhi start 06.30 AM. Arrival Katra 07.15 PM

Enroute Halt - Breakfast : Zhilmil Dhaba after Karnal (recommended). Late Lunch at a hotel near Kathua (not recommended)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajcs (Post 2567874)
Drove to Katra on 05 Oct 11. During an earlier trip in Apr found frequent diversions on NH1 from Karnal to Mukerian due to fly over constructions. So took the following route :-
- Delhi-Ambala NH1
- Turned right to Ropar (Rupnagar) via Banur, Kharar just prior to Shambhu border toll gate immediately after Ambala.
- Joined NH1A at Dasuya and headed to Katra via Jammu bypass and Pathankot bypass.

Interior roads in Punjab were very good with sparse traffic. Single carriage in most sections though.

Enroute Halt - Breakfast : Zhilmil Dhaba after Karnal (recommended). Late Lunch at a hotel near Kathua (not recommended)

Thanks for the update. the new route seems good, but still not sure..anyone who have been on the Jalandhar- Ludhiana road recently...

I second the Chandigarh Phagwara route. Did the Pathankot-Mohali section a few weeks back and it took only about 3 hours and that too because about 25 kms were done in absolute blinding rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keralshobhit (Post 2568117)
Thanks for the update. the new route seems good, but still not sure..anyone who have been on the Jalandhar- Ludhiana road recently...

Since six laning of NH1 between Panipat - Jalandhar is under progress, there are diversions after every couple of kms. Once this patch is ready then there will be NO red light between Panipat & Jalandhar.

If you still want to go via Ludhiana - Jalandhar, please avoid Ludhiana bye-pass and go staright through the city. Also please avoid the Khanna --> Mandi GobindGarh --> Sahnewal --> Ludhiana section during office hrs (i.e. morning as well as evening). There will be heavy rush (of industrial staff / workers) and traffic snarls due to traffic diversions in the cities as well.

If you don't have any problems with the night driving then I would advise you to start around 6:00 - 7:00 PM in the evening and reach Katra in the morning. Dinner break (around 8-9 PM) can be at Sukhdev Dahaba or Haveli at Murthal (Sonepat - Haveli is recommended though).

All the best!

Jai Mata Di!
Irish :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajcs (Post 2567874)
- Delhi-Ambala NH1

@rajcs Thanks a lot for that update. 5the Oct was just a month back, i dont think so things may have changed any how. Just one question, did you tested the normal Jalandhar- Ludhiana track before. Why did you skipped it. I have driven to Chandigarh recently and the road was pretty much ok. Please provide little more inputs. I plan to leave Delhi border approx by 3 AM. i will be leaving with 4 male friends in my i10. Considering the time i am leaving,please suggest the best route. Also, where you stayed in Katra. please suggest a good place with good safe parking space.
if i leave Delhi border and than i can cover a good patch by 8 AM, any suggestions for breakfast.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 2568546)
I second the Chandigarh Phagwara route. Did the Pathankot-Mohali section a few weeks back and it took only about 3 hours and that too because about 25 kms were done in absolute blinding rain.

@wanderernomad can you give in detail where exactly was this bad patch, and what route you took.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 2568558)
Since six laning of NH1 between Panipat - Jalandhar is under progress, there are diversions after every couple of kms. Once this patch is ready then there will be NO red light between Panipat & Jalandhar.

If you still want to go via Ludhiana - Jalandhar, please avoid Ludhiana bye-pass and go staright through the city. Also please avoid the Khanna --> Mandi GobindGarh --> Sahnewal --> Ludhiana section during office hrs (i.e. morning as well as evening). There will be heavy rush (of industrial staff / workers) and traffic snarls due to traffic diversions in the cities as well.

If you don't have any problems with the night driving then I would advise you to start around 6:00 - 7:00 PM in the evening and reach Katra in the morning. Dinner break (around 8-9 PM) can be at Sukhdev Dahaba or Haveli at Murthal (Sonepat - Haveli is recommended though).

All the best!

Jai Mata Di!

@irish
thanks for the detail help...i don't mind night driving but cant leave before 3 A.M, since other friends can do that, please suggest a exact route to follow from Delhi, considering i would be covering this area for the first time, i always used to run to Chandigarh and get into Himachal. your help will be highly appreciated.

Jai Mata Di

Quote:

Originally Posted by keralshobhit (Post 2568894)
@rajcs Thanks a lot for that update. 5the Oct was just a month back, i dont think so things may have changed any how. Just one question, did you tested the normal Jalandhar- Ludhiana track before. Why did you skipped it. I have driven to Chandigarh recently and the road was pretty much ok. Please provide little more inputs. I plan to leave Delhi border approx by 3 AM. i will be leaving with 4 male friends in my i10. Considering the time i am leaving,please suggest the best route. Also, where you stayed in Katra. please suggest a good place with good safe parking space.
if i leave Delhi border and than i can cover a good patch by 8 AM, any suggestions for breakfast.

@wanderernomad can you give in detail where exactly was this bad patch, and what route you took.

@irish
thanks for the detail help...i don't mind night driving but cant leave before 3 A.M, since other friends can do that, please suggest a exact route to follow from Delhi, considering i would be covering this area for the first time, i always used to run to Chandigarh and get into Himachal. your help will be highly appreciated.

Jai Mata Di

It seems you are confused on which route to take from Delhi. There are three options:

1. Delhi - Ambala - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - Dasueya - Mukerian - Pathankot - Jammu - Katra

Pros:Cons:2. Delhi - Ambala - Chandigarh - Ropar - Balachaur - Garhshankar - Mahilpur - Hoshiarpur - Dasuya - Mukerian - Pathankot - Jammu - Katra

Pros: Cons:

Between Ambala till Dasuya:3. Delhi - Ambala - Banur - Ropar - Balachaur - Garhshankar - Mahilpur - Hoshiarpur - Dasueya - Mukerian - Pathankot - Jammu - Katra

Pros:Cons:Now the choice is yours as to which option to be opted.

NOTE: With any of the option above, please keep a buffer as you may have to drive at very slow speeds because of FOG. It has started to cover the NH1 during early mornings.

My Recommendation:

Since you are leaving Delhi at 3:00 AM, go with option 1. Wide roads and no traffic during early hours. You can hit Jalandhar Haveli (for breakfast) between 8:00 - 9:00 AM, by leaving Delhi 3:00 AM with a non stop drive. But please watch the diversions carefully. In any case, please cross Ludhiana as soon as possible.

There are so many dhabas / restaurant enroute but it all depends upon what time you leave Delhi. Since you are leaving at 3:00 AM then Jalandhar Haveli is the best if you can wait until 8:00 AM.

Anyways, here is a post by me on another thread, which may help you in planing your Journey from Katra - Bhawan - Katra:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2459901

Please share your travelogue once you are back. :thumbs up

Jai Mata Di,

@ Irish
You made my life really easy. found take your advice,leave Delhi borders by 3A.M, follow option 1, Break fast at Jalandhar Haveli.
I have booked Neelkanth Hotel in Katra at 1500 for 4 people with extra bed. There car will drop till Baarganga and back.