Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 17:46   #181
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries

To all those in this thread who shared their valuable guidance (especially pypkmsrikanth, narayans80, bottle) - I have to thank you all again!

1. Leave at 4AM - perfect advice. We left at around 4:15AM, reached the A2B near Sengurichi around 7:35AM. 40mins breakfast break and then non-stop drive to Madurai, reaching by 12:30pm or so at my hotel. There was enough traffic that early in the morning but there was no congestion on the entire stretch except for a 2 minute congestion on the Trichy bypass. Even the toll gates lines were pretty empty.

2. Don't take your car, take an auto to temples, visit early in the morning - once again, perfect advice. We took an auto from the hotel to Thiruparamkundram and asked the same auto to take us to the big temple next morning. We were at Meenakshi Amman temple at 6:15AM. By 8AM, we had completed Koodal Azhagar temple as well! Very less crowd, for a Sunday morning. The streets around the temples were very empty at 6:15AM but there was a good bit of crowd pouring in by 8AM.

Left Madurai at around 12pm, reached home in Chennai before 9pm. Empty roads until Trichy, and traffic was moderate right until home.
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 01:20   #182

Have gone through the last one year's replies, need some updates from recent travelers on Chennai to Madurai.

I'm planning to drive from Chennai by my new Maruti Ignis on 30th Dec for the weekend. Noticed that Maps shows 8½ hours, that too only if I force it via Trichy. Else it detours via Ulundurpet - Salem - Karur, or Cuddalore Pudukottai. Is there some issue on the Unundurpet to Trichy stretch?

Last I did this stretch in 2013 (on a diesel Amaze), it took me precisely 7 hrs incl a 30 min breakfast break.

Would appreciate all inputs on road conditions and best pitstops.

Ananth
Old 7th December 2022, 08:26   #183
Senior - BHPian

You will get varying time estimates depending on the day and time you see ETA.

Between Madras and Trichy, there are 3 bridge constructions: one at southern end of Villupuram bypass, one at Veppur (this is going on for ages), one at Padalur - about 2 km from Perambalur Aswins. On Trichy-Madurai, there is one at Karungalkudi.

I drove Trichy last week of November, took me 4:15 hrs starting 3:30 pm onward and 3:45 hrs return starting 1020 pm. My Madurai drive is a year old, and I didn't find anything other than the one diversion I mentioned above. Trichy-Madurai was in usable state even when 4-laning was in progress circa 2007-8. Late night it is a busy road with 1000s of vehicles crossing either side. By any stretch of imagination its not going to be shutdown.

If you want to reach south side of Madurai (Vilangudi, Arasaradi, Thirunagar for example). Taking the Dindigul road from Trichy is also an option. Wading through Aristo junction-Dindigul 4-lane is a much easier torture than driving KK Nagar to Kalaivasal in Madurai.

For the weekend you mention, onward shouldn't be a deal. Return on New Year day will be busy.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 19:55   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAnd View Post
Have gone through the last one year's replies, need some updates from recent travelers on Chennai to Madurai.
Drove today from Chennai to Madurai (and beyond to Ambasamudram) after 15 months. Started near Kelambakkam by 6.00 and reached Madurai by 1.30 with a 30 min breakfast break. It was raining throughout the drive and residual holiday crowd. Read in Twitter about the Villupuram bridge work caused too much jam yesterday and bracing for delay. But it is quite okay today but it becomes just one lane and become a serious bottle neck. Other road works are not a cause of concern.

Plan your breakfast break as it was heavy rush in all places and finally went to A2B in Ulundurpet for breakfast (in the opposite side). After today's drive, realised how Chennai - Salem expressway would have decongested the GST road
Old 8th October 2023, 15:17   #185
BHPian

Hello,

I have a trip from Chennai to Madurai coming up. In google maps, I see that the highway via Natham (NH785) shows up and not the one via Melur (NH38). Can anyone travelled recently advise on the best route? Thanks.
Old 9th October 2023, 08:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
I see that the highway via Natham (NH785) shows up and not the one via Melur (NH38)..
There is one diversion at Karungalkudi, and Google Maps thinks it is apocalypse for the entire highway
Old 10th October 2023, 09:15   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
Hello,

I have a trip from Chennai to Madurai coming up. In google maps, I see that the highway via Natham (NH785) shows up and not the one via Melur (NH38). Can anyone travelled recently advise on the best route? Thanks.
Stick to NH 38. I did this on Saturday. A few diversions due to bridge constructions which are managable.
Old 18th October 2023, 07:26   #188
BHPian

Hi All,
Have a trip to Tiruchendur for the weekend after.
Can you advise on the route from Chennai to Madurai and any diversions to watch out for ?
Also, are there any good Veg eateries around Trichy bye -pass or after Trichy towards Madurai ? Thanks.
Old 18th October 2023, 18:16   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Can you advise on the route from Chennai to Madurai and any diversions to watch out for ?
There are 5 diversions as far am aware:

1. Kooteripattu - Can be easily managed unless you are travelling with heavy long weekend traffic.
2. South end of Villupuram bypass - Worst of the lot, 0.5-1 km long which needs to be taken carefully.
3. Veppur - Easy to manage. Just that it is narrow.
4. Perambalur bypass - Easy to manage
5. Karungalkudi - Easy to manage.

There's one more between 2 and 3 I think. Forgot the exact location.

Quote:
Veg eateries around Trichy bye -pass or after Trichy towards Madurai ?
Gowri Parvathi Bhavan after Samayapuram bypass on opposite side
Shri Sangeethas (again opposite side) - Usually crowded

Don't remember anything great before Othakadai A2B. There are few cars that stop at Temple City before Melur, but never tried personally.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 21:26   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
There are 5 diversions as far am aware:

1. Kooteripattu - Can be easily managed unless you are travelling with heavy long weekend traffic.
2. South end of Villupuram bypass - Worst of the lot, 0.5-1 km long which needs to be taken carefully.
3. Veppur - Easy to manage. Just that it is narrow.
4. Perambalur bypass - Easy to manage
5. Karungalkudi - Easy to manage.

There's one more between 2 and 3 I think. Forgot the exact location.

Gowri Parvathi Bhavan after Samayapuram bypass on opposite side
Shri Sangeethas (again opposite side) - Usually crowded
Thanks a lot.
Very useful information as always.

We were planning to start on a Friday, to avoid weekend crowd.
Starting early morning (probably by 7), I know 7 is not early but we are prone to always get delayed even if we plan to start earlier

Plan was to drive all the way to Tiruchendur with pit stops at Manoj bhavan for breakfast, and somewhere near Trichy or Madurai for lunch (depending on the traffic and time)
I am planning to take it easy, so expecting travel time to be around 10 hours including those breaks and maybe a coffee break.

Return is going to be a bigger challenge being a Sunday..
Return will be from Tirunelveli to Chennai.

Btw, the Navalur toll is going to be closed from tomorrow (19th Oct), so can plan to travel via Thiruporur - Chengalpet.
Old 24th October 2023, 08:04   #191
Senior - BHPian

Did a trip to Kulasekarapattinam during the weekend. While returning back had opted to stay overnight at Madurai. Since I stayed around Kochadai area decided to take the Natham route on my way back. Took me less than 2 1/2 hours to reach Ashwins, Siruvachur from Thamukkam junction maintaining speeds between 80 and 90. The traffic was extremely sparse upto Thuvarngurichi, sparse between Thuvarangkurichi and Trichy. From Trichy onwards there was an increase in private car traffic though buses were less. In my opinion if you are starting from the city area of Madurai using the Natham route makes a lot of sense than coming via Melur. There was only one diversion near Kadambavanam in the entire stretch up to Thuvarangkurichi. In the Trichy - Madurai stretch also a couple of bridges are now complete. Villupuram bypass remains a problem still though. Fortunately Kootteripattu diversion was not very bad while returning yesterday evening

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 24th October 2023 at 08:07. Reason: Added a few more details
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 08:30   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The traffic was extremely sparse upto Thuvarngurichi, sparse between Thuvarangkurichi and Trichy.
Madurai-Melur-Trichy and vice versa is busy only in the nights (~ 9 pm to 5 am) when there is a huge bus traffic on either side. During daytime, Melur route is near empty as well.
Old 24th October 2023, 16:52   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Madurai-Melur-Trichy and vice versa is busy only in the nights (~ 9 pm to 5 am) when there is a huge bus traffic on either side. During daytime, Melur route is near empty as well.
Yes. The Trichy - Madurai - Thoothukudi stretch remains one of the better stretches to drive during day time without losing much time.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 18:51   #194
BHPian

Any tips for Tiruchendur to Mukkudal/Ambai route ?
When I checked last it was showing a route from Srivaikundam without touching Tirunelveli.
But now GMaps shows to go via Tirunelveli.

Any suggestions on which is the better route from Tirunelveli to Ambai in terms of road condition, thanks.
Old 26th October 2023, 04:15   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Yes. The Trichy - Madurai - Thoothukudi stretch remains one of the better stretches to drive during day time without losing much time.
Hi, any good Petrol bunks to fill in normal Petrol near Madurai or on the way to Thoothukudi on the highway.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks