Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 22:46   #61
BHPian

re: Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries

I am planning a trip to Kanyakumari during the christmas weekend, I would like to stay at Madurai for a night, can some one suggest me a decent hotel, not expensive one
Old 8th December 2011, 08:14   #62
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
I am planning a trip to Kanyakumari during the christmas weekend, I would like to stay at Madurai for a night, can some one suggest me a decent hotel, not expensive one
For Madurai, I recommend Neww College House. It has car parking facility. Don't miss Sabari, diagonally opposite Neww College House, for delicious breakfast/lunch/dinner. Meenakshi Amman temple is within walkable distance.

For Kanniyakumari, my recommendation is Vivekananda Kendra, which has a vast campus with attached Gowrishankar, vegetarian restaurant. Don't miss morning walk combined with watching sun-rise at the sun-rise point in the campus.

Both these places are clean and inexpensive.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 8th December 2011 at 08:27.

Old 8th December 2011, 10:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
For Madurai, I recommend Neww College House. It has car parking facility. Don't miss Sabari, diagonally opposite Neww College House, for delicious breakfast/lunch/dinner. Meenakshi Amman temple is within walkable distance.

For Kanniyakumari, my recommendation is Vivekananda Kendra, which has a vast campus with attached Gowrishankar, vegetarian restaurant. Don't miss morning walk combined with watching sun-rise at the sun-rise point in the campus.

Both these places are clean and inexpensive.
Agreed sir!! The breakfast in New college house is excellent too!!

Also not to miss is excellent museaum on Swami Vivekananda in KK. If you are staying in Vivekananada Kendra then you will definitely see the museaum. Dont miss sun rise.

If you have time do a day trip to cover calm Sucheedram temple and excellent Padmanabhapuram palace made of wood on Trivandrum road.

Dont miss to eat Tirunelveli halwa. Pack some home
Old 8th December 2011, 13:23   #64
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The breakfast in New college house is excellent too!!
I knew good food at Neww College House in-house restaurant. But, when we visited Madurai this August, after checking in, I had a chat with the parking attendant. He recommended Sabari! Rest was history, as the saying goes. We had our dinner/breakfast/lunch at Sabari only.

Old 8th December 2011, 13:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I knew good food at Neww College House in-house restaurant. But, when we visited Madurai this August, after checking in, I had a chat with the parking attendant. He recommended Sabari! Rest was history, as the saying goes. We had our dinner/breakfast/lunch at Sabari only.
So next time we go to Madurai, we know where to go for our meals. Thanks Ravi.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 20:44   #66
BHPian

Thank you all Fauji and Ravi for suggestion, do you guys have any suggestion for Tiruchi as well, I am planning to visit Kalannai.

Last edited by aravinrd : 8th December 2011 at 20:47.
Old 8th December 2011, 21:19   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you all Fauji and Ravi for suggestion, do you guys have any suggestion for Tiruchi as well, I am planning to visit Kalannai.
The best place in Trichy is Royal Southern. Higher on the budget,
but for that money, it worth every bit!
Old 9th December 2011, 09:01   #68
J.Ravi

Quote:
do you guys have any suggestion for Tiruchi as well
My recommendation: Hotel Aanand, No.1, Racquet Court Lane, Trichy. Telephone: 0431-2415545 [14 lines]. It is located near the railway junction and Central Bus Stand. It has ample car parking and is inexpensive. Please call up and reserve your accommodation in advance as it is usually fully booked. Don't miss the next door Sangeetha's for breakfast/lunch/dinner which is open up to midnight. You car can have tankful at Bharat Petroleum TVS pump which is also located nearby on Chennai bypass of NH 45 [you have to go below the flyover].

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th December 2011 at 09:02.

Old 30th December 2011, 18:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

How badly has NH45 around Villupuram taken a beating from the cyclone ? Anyone passed through it today ?
Old 30th December 2011, 20:42   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
How badly has NH45 around Villupuram taken a beating from the cyclone ? Anyone passed through it today ?
Drove all night through the cyclone last night from Karaikudi-Madurai-Chennai. NH45 is excellent all the way through. Had a few trucks that turned turtle due to the crosswinds. Road condition was excellent.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 10:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

The road to Madurai via Villupuram and Trichy is as good as it was. Any driver can drive smoothly during rain.Please don't drive on the soil, by the side of the black top road. There are ample chances of skidding while driving on the soil.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:01   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

May-2012 Update:
  • The Viralimalai to Melur section there are some bad patches. 1 meter wide/2 inch deep patches which are really not visible until the last moment. Take care in this section. Don't ask me if I'm blind :P Under the hot sun it's really difficult to notice.
  • Equal no.of toll plazas and accidents/accident vehicles witnessed from Chennai to Madurai :(
  • The 1st Toll plaza from Chennai to Madurai (After Chengelput) in the NH45: Is it legal or not? My friends tell me that the toll collection term is over for this one and we need not pay. I didn't pay, neither did the car in front of me pay and they didn't seem to bother at all. If you notice, there won't be any of the big green boards or the barricade gates etc.What's happening?

Last edited by kiku007 : 14th May 2012 at 12:02.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The Viralimalai to Melur section there are some bad patches. 1 meter wide/2 inch deep patches which are really not visible until the last moment.
The section doesnt witness much traffic or rains and there are bad patches ? :-|

Quote:
The 1st Toll plaza from Chennai to Madurai (After Chengelput) in the NH45: Is it legal or not? My friends tell me that the toll collection term is over for this one and we need not pay. I didn't pay, neither did the car in front of me pay and they didn't seem to bother at all. If you notice, there won't be any of the big green boards or the barricade gates etc.What's happening?
You mean Mahindra City (Paranur) toll ? Yes, it isn't supposed to be there. The Irumbuliyur-Mamandur section was done way back in '93 and I remember BOT period was 15 yrs. But I do remember the big green boards before it. You should see the Gummidipoondi toll plaza on NH5 for comparison
Old 14th May 2012, 20:59   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Narayans80 - I guess the problem is due to poor maintenance in that section.

This illegal toll collection is atrocious! Maybe we should have a dedicated thread for such toll plazas.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Narayans80 - I guess the problem is due to poor maintenance in that section.
After seeing NH4 which is a decade younger than this section. I have no complaints on NH45 maintenance (atleast as of Jan '12). Will post an updated experience next week

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks