Old 11th January 2017, 11:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Agumbe: Route queries, information, and tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Found this for you..
Agumbe ghat repair work completed and road opened few days ago:
Link
Thanks NPV, it is great to know this, it is going to be fun driving through the newly laid ghat roads of Agumbe
Old 11th January 2017, 12:22   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks NPV, it is great to know this, it is going to be fun driving through the newly laid ghat roads of Agumbe
It's a short distance ghat section not too wide and concreted but yes fun to drive. If you do have time, try to pay a visit to Kundadri hill which is close to Agumbe and can be a great spot to view sunset and also has a small hilltop temple

If you have time, you can also make quick stops at Gajanur dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp en route Tirthahalli from Shimoga.

Avoid Agumbe sunset point in the evenings, too many people and hawkers around!
Drive Safe and have a great trip!

Last edited by NPV : 11th January 2017 at 12:26.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a short distance ghat section not too wide and concreted but yes fun to drive. If you do have time, try to pay a visit to Kundadri hill which is close to Agumbe and can be a great spot to view sunset and also has a small hilltop temple

If you have time, you can also make quick stops at Gajanur dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp en route Tirthahalli from Shimoga.

Avoid Agumbe sunset point in the evenings, too many people and hawkers around!
Drive Safe and have a great trip!
I was considering going through Agumbe for a weekend trip to Kollur. Now with the ghats in good shape, does it make sense to take Bangalore - Hassan - ChikMangalore - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kollur OR is it better to use CR Patna - Shivamoga. Hassan option is listed as shortest and fastest by Google
Old 12th January 2017, 17:57   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was considering going through Agumbe for a weekend trip to Kollur. Now with the ghats in good shape, does it make sense to take Bangalore - Hassan - ChikMangalore - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kollur OR is it better to use CR Patna - Shivamoga. Hassan option is listed as shortest and fastest by Google
I think both are fine and Sringeri route will also give you a chance to visit the temple en route, actually if you have a little more time you can also visit the nearby Sirimane waterfall and the Kigga temple both close to each other
En route Agumbe from Sringeri you can visit Kundadri hill (if you're there around late afternoon for viewing sunset).
Old 12th January 2017, 18:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think both are fine and Sringeri route will also give you a chance to visit the temple en route, actually if you have a little more time you can also visit the nearby Sirimane waterfall and the Kigga temple both close to each other
En route Agumbe from Sringeri you can visit Kundadri hill (if you're there around late afternoon for viewing sunset).
Thanks NPV. I will stick to Hassan, Sringeri (visit the temple), Agumbe while going, we plan to start by 5.30 from JP Nagar. Any lunch break suggestions will be great to know

I will keep your other suggestions for a later trip, plan is to spend time in a home stay in Teerthahalai/Agumbe belt.

Assuming a 10 AM start on Sunday from Kolur on the way back, do you have any suggestions to the route considering the traffic and other factors.

Last edited by gadadhar : 12th January 2017 at 18:41.
Old 12th January 2017, 19:42   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any lunch break suggestions will be great to know
I think you can reach the Sringeri temple by then, I don't know of any hotels around that place but I'd recommend eating the meal served at the temple - simple, tasty, healthy, hygienic, a humbling experience. We loved the experience.

Bananki and Kolavara Heritage are good homestays at Tirthahalli.
If you stay at either of these, do not miss Chibbalagudde/Sibbalagudde by the banks of the Tunga river, beautiful with temple, water and lots of fishes, if you have kids traveling with you, they will love it. And if time permits, do visit Kuvempu's home Kavimane (now a museum) and Kavishyla (next door on top of a hillock with rock sculptures) at Kuppali.

Last edited by NPV : 12th January 2017 at 19:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks