Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Hyd-karagpur-shantiniketan-Gangtok-Arunachal road conditions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/66856-hyd-karagpur-shantiniketan-gangtok-arunachal-road-conditions.html)

jp_in_hyd 6th October 2009 16:45

Hyd-karagpur-shantiniketan-Gangtok-Arunachal road conditions
 
Guys,
Iam hoping to do
Hyd-karagpur-shantiniketan-Gangtok-across Bhutan-Bomdila-tawang
Any updates on the current road conditions is well appreciated.

Thanks in advance and regards.
..jp..

akroy 7th October 2009 04:51

My suggession is to do it via Kolkata only. it will be faster

Hyd - Suryapet - Rajahmundry - onto NH5 to Vizag
Kharagpur - Kolkata - NH2 - Panagarh (turn right) - Ilambazaar - Bolpur (road is good)

Bolpur - Siuri (on crossing Siuri RS crossing, keep going straight, you will reach bus stand, keep going straight, you will reach the other end of the BP and onto Tilpara barrage on NH60) - Moregram (left on NH34) - Siliguri

Till Moregram route is fine. Remaining update can be got from saurabhm who did it recently.

Abhi

hvkumar 7th October 2009 09:29

You can check ourt route details in the log books of my trips to that region:

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North East India, Dec 2001
for Tawang & the other states in NE

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKSNorth East India, Bhutan & East-West Drive Apr 2009
for Sikkim, Bhutan & Arunachal (except Tawang)

Normally, roads are good in December. South Orissa had bad rains, watch out for bad roads in NH5.

black_panther 7th October 2009 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 1518036)
My suggession is to do it via Kolkata only. it will be faster

Hyd - Suryapet - Rajahmundry - onto NH5 to Vizag
Kharagpur - Kolkata - NH2 - Panagarh (turn right) - Ilambazaar - Bolpur (road is good)

Bolpur - Siuri (on crossing Siuri RS crossing, keep going straight, you will reach bus stand, keep going straight, you will reach the other end of the BP and onto Tilpara barrage on NH60) - Moregram (left on NH34) - Siliguri

Till Moregram route is fine.
Abhi

I have heard that the Bolpur route is in a bad shape post monsoons. I would advise you to follow the NH34 route instead. From Delhi-Mumbai road junction, take the road that goes through the new Nivedita bridge. Take the Belghoria expressway upto Jessore Road. Then go straight through Barasat,Krishnanagar,Behrampur etc.

I am not sure, which way it's going to be worse. Eagerly waiting for saurabhm's travelougue.

black_panther 7th October 2009 13:03

This is from another forum posted on 3rd September :

"Panagarh - Morgram Road is not in Good Shape,
Though NH 34 is bit overcrowded but at present
road is in good condition, and distance is much
lesser on NH34"

Sudipto-S-Team 8th October 2009 17:28

When do you plan to go? I am sure not in the near future because I doubt if you can go very far from Hyderabad soon.
Bhutan has been recently ravaged by Aila and then more recently a serious earthquake. Please read the various online editions of Bhutanese newspapers, especially Kuensel, before planning any trip there. You will get the latest updates there.
Road blocks take an unusually long time to be cleared in eastern Bhutan. Aila actually wiped out several stretches of the road and I wonder if they are driveable even now.

If you are planning to visit Shantiniketan then NH 34 is not an option. And although on paper maps and online maps etc NH 60 looks like a great option to go from Kharagpur to Shantiniketan, in reality it is not.
Go via Calcutta. Don't worry. When you are on GQ you don't have to go through the actual city.
Kumar's logs are the most elaborate and dependable. I have always planned my trips based on them.

akroy 9th October 2009 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_panther (Post 1518646)
This is from another forum posted on 3rd September :

"Panagarh - Morgram Road is not in Good Shape,
Though NH 34 is bit overcrowded but at present
road is in good condition, and distance is much
lesser on NH34"

Pls check the latest travelogue of from SaurabhM. he told that NH60 is in good shape. If you plan for Bolpur then NH60 is better choice for you.

Abhi

Sudipto-S-Team 9th October 2009 13:04

I have never met JP in Hyderabad but he seems to ask these questions about mountain routes once in a while and then goes silent. I agree that we all make plans and then many of them don't materialise but JP's case seems something quite different.

vnabhi 9th October 2009 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1523053)
I have never met JP in Hyderabad but he seems to ask these questions about mountain routes once in a while and then goes silent. I agree that we all make plans and then many of them don't materialise but JP's case seems something quite different.

You are spot on---I've seen quite a few route queries. Nevertheless it is a fact that there are missed opportunities for many of us, sometimes due to leave not being sanctioned, and also owing to other factors.

I agree that most of us in Hyd have not met him, but I think we've worked in the same company a few years ago.

gajadonga 9th October 2009 20:15

I have driven to Gangtok further I do not know.From Hyderabad upto Berhampur roads are good.From Berhampur to Balugaon the road is still bad.From Balugaon to Bhadrak good roads. Bhadrak to Balasore the road real sore.My suggestion would be to drive via Kolkatta and the to Darjeling more Ilambazar Rampurhat to Faraka.I think Shantiniketan can be covered in this stretch.I suggest you not to venture from Kharagpur towards Bishnupur and Durgapur Ilambazar route as that stretch is pretty bad and on a long journey you feel really upset when the road is bad.Happy driving


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:39.