Team-BHP - Which is a better place to go to now- Coorg or Chikmaglur?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Which is a better place to go to now- Coorg or Chikmaglur? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/67090-better-place-go-now-coorg-chikmaglur.html)

Hi All,
I am looking to go to a place on the weekend and have reduced options to Coorg and Chikmaglur. Please, can the erduite folks here throw some light on which is a better place to go to? Coorg or ChikMaglur? Factors would be
- weather conditions (safety due to the recent floods, should be nice and cool)
- Road conditions for driving.

I am somehow inclined towards madikeri, but somehow have a feeling that it will be crowded. I would also love some suggestions on places to stay. We are 3 people with a budget in the range of 1500 per person.

Many Thanks
Prasad

Both Coorg and Chikmaglur are famous for coffee plantations, so you can expect pretty similar environment in both places

Both are almost at same distance and roads are in good shape. Weather conditions will also be similar in both places. Nice and cool it will be. About the rains, I cant comment as this year it has been raining throughout.

So looking at the factors you mentioned, both seem to be equal

Can you tell more about what kind of trip you are planning(If its just friends or with family or small kids etc) that will help people to guide you

I would say you should check for availability of resorts/homestays of your choice in Madikeri.. if its available go ahead.. Even if it gets crowded, it will definitely be better than what we are used to in Bangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasadka (Post 1522733)
Hi All,
I am looking to go to a place on the weekend and have reduced options to Coorg and Chikmaglur. Please, can the erduite folks here throw some light on which is a better place to go to? Coorg or ChikMaglur? Factors would be
- weather conditions (safety due to the recent floods, should be nice and cool)
- Road conditions for driving.

I am somehow inclined towards madikeri, but somehow have a feeling that it will be crowded. I would also love some suggestions on places to stay. We are 3 people with a budget in the range of 1500 per person.

Many Thanks
Prasad

Yes Madikeri would be crowded,
Chikmangalur is a nice place amidst all the coffee plantations.Cafe Coffee Day has a beautiful resort in C'mlur,its modelled on the lines of the Hilton @ Maldives.Its called The Serai,definitely expensive but worth a dekko.

Planters Court /Devigiri homestay/Hotel Ashhok/Southern Star are all good options.

I haven't really ventured much into Coorg. I was there about 5-6 years ago and stayed in Kushalnagar. Awesome place. But beyond that I cannot comment.

If the rain gods are on your side, then I'd say Chikmaglur is an amazing weekend retreat. I've been there three times already and I cant seem to get enough of the place. You can try this resort named Eagle Eye Holidays <you can google for details>. Its about 45-50 kms from Chikmaglur < 35kms after Aldur>. They have decent rooms and the view from the resort is just mind blowing. There are other things to do at the resort as well. Been there twice and both times had a great experience.

Where ever you finally decide to go, hope you have a good and safe trip. ^^

~Morgul

I would suggest you to go to Chikmagalur this time. Madikeri will definitely be crowded. You can check out Athithi homestay. It is in a nice location. It is run by a friend of mine.

Check out the link.

ATHITHI :: Home stay at chickmaglur

Agree with Adi over there.
Pack your bags to Chickmagalur, this is the best season to visit.
If not Chikmagalur, I would suggest you Sakleshpura.

Road to CKM is also very good. Although I had done this almost 2 years back, but the memories are still fresh. In one of the threads, I read that there is also a Tata Coffee estate, which may also be worth staying. They have reservation office in Bangalore.

Tata Coffee | Products | Plantation trails

Although only Coorg is mentioned, they also property in CKM.

Taj Gateway is an evergreen property, although a bit expensive, but definitely worth it.

The homestays (or small resorts) are better run (more professional and value for money) in Coorg compared to both Chikmagalur or Sakleshpur (this is what I felt my visits to Kakabe, Kutta, Saklespur and kemanagundi). Given these 3 places are very similar I would opt for some good homestay in Coorg. Also the coorgi food tastes better (again personal opinion).

If you are a "Leave to eat Non-Veg", no second thoughts needed -pack your bags for Coorg. If you have 3 days you can consider Wayanad, Nilambur etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuttingcrew (Post 1523370)
The homestays (or small resorts) are better run (more professional and value for money) in Coorg compared to both Chikmagalur or Sakleshpur (this is what I felt my visits to Kakabe, Kutta, Saklespur and kemanagundi). Given these 3 places are very similar I would opt for some good homestay in Coorg. Also the coorgi food tastes better (again personal opinion).

Like mentioned, homestays in Coorg are better maintained than in chikmaglur. If you need any help with regards to accommodation,places to eat or anything else just call me on 9481058336.

Hi

THe folks who were to accompany me decided to take a rain check. So I went to Yercaud, as it is easier to drive by yourself (eventually was joined by two others). I went to Yercaud and stayed in a luxury villa at the Shevaroy's. More on the property, with a few pictures, a little later.

Thanks
Prasad

same situation here; I am planning to start tomorrow morning and am still confused between the two :Frustrati

When you consider the dubare elephant camp and Tibetan monastery at Kushalnagar; Coorg looks slightly better. Does Chikmnagalur too have something else to offer beyond coffee and hills?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anurag.somani (Post 2567757)
same situation here; I am planning to start tomorrow morning and am still confused between the two :Frustrati

When you consider the dubare elephant camp and Tibetan monastery at Kushalnagar; Coorg looks slightly better. Does Chikmnagalur too have something else to offer beyond coffee and hills?

If you just want to idle your weekend by walks and less of tourist items, then CKM is the place.
Coorg has much more places to see around.

I was in coorg (and nagarhole) ten days back. We were located at Madikeri and stayed at a beautiful homestay called Silver brooks, 8km from madikeri. The weather was superb with rains in the evening bringing in a light mist. I suppose the weather would be the same even now, considering the continued rains.

Added attraction is of course the food, if you are a non-veg lover. If so, try this simple place called coorg cuisine, opposite North Coorg club in Madikeri; tasty, easy on the pocket fare.

I would surely recommend coorg, especially if you can find accommodation in a cosy home stay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anurag.somani (Post 2567757)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2567887)
If you just want to idle your weekend by walks and less of tourist items, then CKM is the place.
Coorg has much more places to see around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammy70 (Post 2567966)
I would surely recommend coorg, especially if you can find accommodation in a cosy home stay.

Another unexplored option is Malnad area around Tirthahalli. Excellent time to go now. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ve-malnad.html