Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 12:13   #1
BANNED

NH25 Kanpur-Lucknow in a mess

NH25 linking thw two largest cities of UP, Lucknow and Kanpur (90km) is part of the EW Corridor. Incidentally, ages ago it was the first part of the GQ where work was taken up. The distance from ity Centre to City centre was easily covered in 1:45 to 2:30 depending on the time of the day. Now you have to plan on 4:00 at the least.

The road from Unnao to Kanpur has become a disaster zone. One minor bridge is broken and closed, and the Ganges bridge (only one side is complete since mid 1970's) while the other bridge has been 'under construction' for a decade. The road itself is in a very poor state of repair. The existing bridge is also dilapidated and is functionally barely a single lane. As a result there is now always a traffic jam, often stretching for a couple of km, at all hours. The entire section has been help up for multiple reasons. It is reported that three sets of contractors has already been tried, and dismissed. The new bridge was stuck for ages as there were all sorts of objections to the excavation of the 'Jajmau Tila'. A toll was also put near Lucknow about six months back.

Nobody seems to be bothered either. This road links the GQ (NH2) to Lucknow and eastern UP so there is considerable Truck traffic. Since Kanpur airport is a joke almost all air travellers catch their flights from Lucknow Airport.

It will now beat the infamous Bangalore-Mangalore highway hollow!

Anyone planning a trip to the neighbourhood beware. Plan for at least 3-1/2 hours for this 'once short' drive.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the warning.
Surprisingly, when I travelled in that section in April, except for some bad patches around Unnao, the rest was good.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:02   #3
BANNED

@hvkumar: I am regular on this stretch. My origin is Lucknow and I am in IITK for the past 33 years! So I have been a regular on this road for well over 30 years. The road has deteriorated further in the past 1-1/2 months, and after the bridge (partial) closure the traffic snarl is unbeleivable. There is also zilco sense of urgency. Before the bridge mess up surprisingly Unnao-Kanpur was much better than Kanpur-Unnao. On the K-L stretch they had laid the tarmac on top of the old road, and this had been peeling off for the past few years, with only cursory repairs. The Unnao-Kanpur run is a fresh road, and used to be excellent. Now with the main bridge queues and the small bridge becoming one side only (only one f the two can be used) God help us.

If you ask anyone the universal view is that the conditions have become far worse after the toll was introduced.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:27   #4
BHPian

Hullo,

Mention of the NH25 revives memories - I've travelled that route many times, the last being some seven odd years ago. I've done it on the UPSRTC (roadways) buses, rental cars ( you got white Ambassadors-MkIIIs, Maruti Omnis from Blunt Square Lucknow, not far from the Charbagh Railway station) and I once did it on my LML Vespa NV 150, way back in October 1991- doing the Kanpur Rly Stn to Krishna Nagar, Lko journey in I think 80 odd minutes.
If I remember correctly, the road was ok from Lko to Unnao, as you say after which it got increasingly chaotic, congested and absolutely terrible near the Ganges bridge ( there used to be an old bridge with passage only for passenger vehicles through which these rental cars could travel).
I understand that the profusion of private vehicles in the last decade or so has made things worse. Roads in UP, including highways, have very unpredictable traffic behaviour ( children, cyclists, villagers, cows all crossing the road as if they were crossing rooms in their homes, trucks tearing down in a great rush, especially the LCVs).

Pleasant and not so pleasant memories- sad to hear that road conditions have shown no improvement over time.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:08   #5
BANNED

UPDATE

Just saw an update in the local press. It seems that it has again been tendered. Tender to be awarded to a Mumbai firm in two months. Time for completion 18 months from there.

The stretch is 16km and has been stuck for 8 years. Then it was the royal entity (linking AB Vajpayee's constituency to the industrial hub and largest city of UP) and the first bit of the GQ. Now it is an orphan.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't agree with that. I last traveled on Aug 1, and took me 1 hour flat (midnight or 7am). At 9 am on a Saturday towards lucknow, that became 1.5 odd hours but that's about it! Haven't ever traveled midday so cannot speak on that perspective.

Sent you a PM. Let's take this offline.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for the warning.
Surprisingly, when I travelled in that section in April, except for some bad patches around Unnao, the rest was good.
It seems that NH25 around Kanpur has detoriated quite a bit since April. I don't know about Kanpur-Lucknow, but Jhansi-Kanpur stretch was in a bad shape in late September.
Old 17th October 2009, 09:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have just come through this route. Sorry to say but I completely disagree. It is as bad as it has always been. a 1km jam on the ganga bridge, and the broken bridge before unnao shuklaganj.

Starting from the roundabout off NH2 at 7:13am, I was at Charbagh in 8:15am.

I frankly fail to see the point, atleast on weekends. Yes, maybe on weekdays it may be bad - but not on weekends!
Old 18th October 2009, 05:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hvkumar: I am regular on this stretch. My origin is Lucknow and I am in IITK for the past 33 years! So I have been a regular on this road for well over 30 years. The road has deteriorated further in the past 1-1/2 months, and after the bridge (partial) closure the traffic snarl is unbeleivable. There is also zilco sense of urgency. Before the bridge mess up surprisingly Unnao-Kanpur was much better than Kanpur-Unnao. On the K-L stretch they had laid the tarmac on top of the old road, and this had been peeling off for the past few years, with only cursory repairs. The Unnao-Kanpur run is a fresh road, and used to be excellent. Now with the main bridge queues and the small bridge becoming one side only (only one f the two can be used) God help us.

If you ask anyone the universal view is that the conditions have become far worse after the toll was introduced.
Sir, I remember K-L was a very risky road for bikers and cars during my stay in kanpur (I was in IITK from 97-01). I also remember during Antaragni-2K, Remo lost his entire musician troop on NH25 after Unnao (they were going to catch flight after performance in IITK and did a headon with a truck).

Bus used to take 3 hours in peak time then and now Almost a decade now, GQ is fully functional and still that major K-L connectivity remains a Qs. Now added to that the bridge problems creating hell lot of problems now. I wonder what is KDA or LDA doing about it?

Looks like LC is the best bet even now.

Abhi
Old 18th October 2009, 11:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Looks like LC is the best bet even now.

Abhi
Abhi,

What is LC?

Regards
Old 18th October 2009, 23:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Abhi,

What is LC?

Regards
LC is the local train that runs between Lucknow - Kanpur.

LC fullform is Lucknow-Cawnpore (Thats what it was called during British era)

Abhi
Old 19th October 2009, 09:56   #12
BANNED

@akroy: Your period at IITK was in some ways the worst. GQ just starting, and old road in a state of dsirepair. LDA has nothing to do with this since it is the Kanpur end. Also, this being part of the GQ it is the NHAI which is responsible for the road. Also ASI/KNN/KDA can take the bulk ot the blame for the bridge menace. For years they held up the digging of the 'Jajmau Tila' since it could have archaeological importance. Without this the road cannot be connected to the highway at the Kanpur end. Then the Jajmau-NH2/NH25 cross road (rama Devi) cannot be connected properly since the local traders, goons, etc. occupied the bulk of the proposed road, and the local netas had a field day (or should it be years). Even now a snail will outrun them with ease.

The bridge (built around 1982!) has had poor maintenance and a couple of years ago warning bells were rung. The powers that be decided that it can only be repaired after the parallel bridge came up. Even if it comes up (work seems to be going on) it cannot be connected to the highway for the reason given above.

@phamilyman: I must say you were lucky, and must have put the engine from the 'Concorde' in your car.

I am told Kanpur - Jhansi (NH25 again) is in the same state. But work on four laning is proceeding apace.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th October 2009 at 10:00.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:44   #13
BHPian

@sgiitk
Sir, I quite agree with you but only partly.
Also happy to find a T-BHPian nearby! Will PM you later.

@ phamilyman.

I agree with you too! but again only partly.

@akroy.
Dada, Nice to know that you were here nearby for several years.

I have been on this road very recently. Yes, Kanpur to Unnao (specially, when returning from Kanpur to Lko) is a mesh, particularly in evenings. Though less of so when going from Lko to Kanpur. But, After Unnao, the truck traffic eases out even in peak hrs, 4 laning is complete and road is good. On my both recent drives, it was pathetic from kanpur city (Ramadevi roundabout) to Unnao, but the loss of time could partly be compensated by a fantastic drive after Unnao.

That's why I gareed with both of you above.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@phamilyman: I must say you were lucky, and must have put the engine from the 'Concorde' in your car.
Ha ha. Surely you jest. By your logic, I have been lucky 5 of 5 times over the past 12 months

I will be doing that route at:
-> 7th November around 9pm, return 8th November at 11pm
-> 12th December around 2/3am and in return around 13th December at 11pm.

You are welcome for a demonstration!

EDIT: Its a stock swift VDi. Way slower than your accent!

Last edited by phamilyman : 23rd October 2009 at 10:54.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:09   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ha ha. Surely you jest. By your logic, I have been lucky 5 of 5 times over the past 12 months
What did I say at the outset - past couple of months for Jajmau. 11:00pm well you can go at Mach1. 1:00am may be Mach 1.5.

I have done IITK to Niralanagar in 1:35 in an Esteem starting at 5:30am before the GQ (via old Ganga Bridge/Unnao City). Again, IITK to RanaPratap Marg in 1:30 about a year ago in my Accent (with GQ).

I do hear that they have finally got their act together in policing the road, and now the delay at Jajmau does not cross an hour even at rush hour. I will know soon when I have to catch a flight on the 5th. Also, the road is much better on Lucknow>Kanpur than in the reverse direction.

Well let us stop arguing on the forum, and keep out counsel. I may just add that I do Kanpur-Lucknow-Kanpur at least 15 times in a year!

Most Viewed