Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 20:17   #1
BHPian

Is Diwali a good time to go to the Little Rann of Kutch

Long diwali weekend coming up and was wondering if it is the right time/weather to go to the Little Rann of kutch.

Interested in seeing Lothal, Patan also over the course of 3 days etc.

Is ahmedabad the right place to stay and use as a base for day trips? We would be coming from Mumbai.

Any tips and pointers appreciated.

-genesis
Old 11th October 2009, 20:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The Rann of Kutch should be perfect at this time of the year. So also places like Patan, Palitana, Lothal, Diu etc. on the Saurashtra peninsula. Not the best time to go lion-spotting in Gir though - the vegetation is dense after the rains and lions are not easily seen.

Would suggest you take a trip to Jamnagar, and from there, Pirotan Island. Check out these links: Jamnagar, the Unique Coral Walking Area and Pirotan Island, Jamnagar pictures from india photos on webshots. If you are interested in this place and need any help, do call/PM!
Old 12th October 2009, 11:16   #3
BHPian

Winters are a great time to visit the Little Rann of Kutchh...except that is still quite hot in Ahmedabad...expect the Rann to be a little cooler.
Do take time out to visit the Wild *** Wildlife Sanctuary located in the Rann. It is home to endangered Indian Wild *** and is also the largest wildlife sanctuary in the country.

You could stay at the rustic Desert Coursers resort (Resort). Its in the small village of Zainabad where you'll be away from all contraptions of city life like cell phone coverage, tv, etc. and just relax. The place is actually run by the erstwhile Nawab of Zainabad. The resort also arranges for trips to the Sanctuary. I was there for 5 days and really enjoyed the rustic charm and long night-walks through narrow roads piercing the fields...very pretty.

There isnt much to see at Lothal - a couple of hours would be more than enough. There is a structure under renovation (or at least it was when I visited in Feb 09) and at best you could call it a quasi-museum. Gujarat tourism / ASI should really be doing a LOT more to develop this place as a tourist destination!!

Since you're likely to come from Mumbai, you could also consider exploring the Modhera Sun Temple near Mehasana - its a 25km detour from the expressway. The structure is quite pretty and worth a detour if you're passing by anyway.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:43   #4
BHPian

@SS_traveller: Been to Jamnagar and Dwarka last summer. Did not do Pirotan due to weekend and permit coordination issues. But on list to go back in Dec/Jan when there will be birds in that area.

Genesis - soumya.org: Dwarka, Gujarat - Atlantis Rediscovered

Genesis - soumya.org: Jamnagar, Gujarat - Architectural Vignettes

@Shutterbugger: Desert Coursers sounds interesting. Seems more reasonable than Rann Riders. Let me dig around a little bit. Has anyone stayed at Rann Riders?

That way I could do Patan and Little Rann of Kutch.

Does one need to do bookings in advance?

One confession: One of the prime reasons driving me to this trip is also to have the gujarati thali at Agashye (House of M.G.) in Ahmedabad so have to fit it in somehow
Old 12th October 2009, 12:03   #5
CDM
BHPian

I stayed with the Rann Riders in Dec 07. The place is good for a '1 night 2 day' but not more. The staff was quite untrained but willing to work if you asked for it (we had to get our rooms cleaned all over again). Food was buffet only and had the same items in most of the meals but was well made and served with a smile. The sanctuary is close by. Advisable to take both the sunset and sunrise tours which Rann Riders arrange.

I do not remember the prices but I remember that Rann Riders were expensive (but not by much) as compared to resorts in Corbett which have better facilities.

CDM
Old 12th October 2009, 13:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
Winters are a great time to visit the Little Rann of Kutchh...except that is still quite hot in Ahmedabad...expect the Rann to be a little cooler.
Do take time out to visit the Wild *** Wildlife Sanctuary located in the Rann. It is home to endangered Indian Wild *** and is also the largest wildlife sanctuary in the country.
Lest you should think I was swearing in the post above, the "***" stand for A$$...I swear!

If you really want to have a truly great Gujarati thali experience, visit Gordan Thal on the Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway. PM me if you want more detailed directions. IMHO, it serves the best Gujarati Thali in Ahmedabad. If you're going for the experience, Agashiye makes sense since it has great ambience but average food.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th October 2009 at 13:40. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Thanks
Old 12th October 2009, 14:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Long diwali weekend coming up and was wondering if it is the right time/weather to go to the Little Rann of kutch.

Interested in seeing Lothal, Patan also over the course of 3 days etc.

Is ahmedabad the right place to stay and use as a base for day trips? We would be coming from Mumbai.

Any tips and pointers appreciated.

-genesis
The Rann should would be a cool place to visit, atleast during the evenings / nights. Day time is still HOT in these parts.

What you can do is as follows :

Day 1 - Start from Ahmedabad - Patan / Modhera. Now here's a twist

You can then go from Patan to Radhanpur to Adesar and then enter the Little Rann of Kutch from Adesar and come over to Zainabad. OR From Patan - Modhera - Becharaji to Zainabad.

The former will have you IN the Rann to give you a actual feel of what the Rann is all about. Something which almost all the operators there somehow skip. Also, to clarify, you'll need a local of the Rann area to guide you inside the Rann.

Day 2 - Rann

Day 3 - Start from Zainabad - Viramgam - Bagodra - Lothal - Ahmedabad.

You can also use Ahmedabad as a base, but it wouldnt serve the purpose of experiencing the Rann for what it is!!!

And on the topic of Gujarati Thalis... Agashiye is a good option and about N number of other options too

Give the Ahmedabad gang a holler if you're making plans and am sure we could have a meet up.

Do let me know if you need any other info.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
The Rann should would be a cool place to visit, atleast during the evenings / nights. Day time is still HOT in these parts.

What you can do is as follows :

Day 1 - Start from Ahmedabad - Patan / Modhera. Now here's a twist

You can then go from Patan to Radhanpur to Adesar and then enter the Little Rann of Kutch from Adesar and come over to Zainabad. OR From Patan - Modhera - Becharaji to Zainabad.

Day 2 - Rann

Day 3 - Start from Zainabad - Viramgam - Bagodra - Lothal - Ahmedabad.

Do let me know if you need any other info.
This is helpful. Only issue with day 1 is that i will be starting from Mumbai
So will try and reach Zainabad directly and do Patan on a later day.

What would be the best route from the Baroda - Ahmedabad expressway to avoid getting into Ahmedabad and braving the traffic?
Old 12th October 2009, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
If you really want to have a truly great Gujarati thali experience, visit Gordan Thal on the Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway. PM me if you want more detailed directions. IMHO, it serves the best Gujarati Thali in Ahmedabad. If you're going for the experience, Agashiye makes sense since it has great ambience but average food.
Would Gordan Thal be close by if I took the Sarkhej exit from the expressway towards Sanand and Viramgam around lunch time
Old 13th October 2009, 00:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
This is helpful. Only issue with day 1 is that i will be starting from Mumbai
So will try and reach Zainabad directly and do Patan on a later day.

What would be the best route from the Baroda - Ahmedabad expressway to avoid getting into Ahmedabad and braving the traffic?
Before the exit comes on the expressway, on your Left is the exit towards Sanand. Take that and you'll be on the outer ring road.

Quote:
Would Gordan Thal be close by if I took the Sarkhej exit from the expressway towards Sanand and Viramgam around lunch time
Yes. From Sarkhej, turn right and you'll be coming in towards Ahmedabad city. About 5-6kms ( of not too much traffic) and you'll be at Gordhan Thal. It's opposite Rajpath Club.
Old 20th October 2009, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Back yesterday from an outstanding trip. Thanks everyone for their help.
Stayed at Desert Coursers in Zainabad and loved it.
Did get a wee bit hot in the afternoon (took morning and evening safari's) but there was a brisk breeze.

Went to Modhera, Patan and then....Udaipur

All roads are outstanding other than the entering/leaving Maharashtra state from Manor/Vasai/upto Ghodbunder entrance.

Udaipur-Chembur, Mumbai- 10hrs door to door including 1.5 hrs of breaks for food for self and car.

Last edited by genesis : 20th October 2009 at 17:03.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Back yesterday from an outstanding trip.
... without pictures? Not even teasers?
Old 20th October 2009, 18:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
... without pictures? Not even teasers?

@SS-Traveller: I remembered you when the lady at the start of the baroda-ahmedabad expressway poured tea over the brim of the cup on to the plate. (almost sent you an sms!)

Still need to whittle down photos, cleanup and then start on travelog section.

To keep the mods happy in keeping with the nature of this section, here is a picture of the road.

Is Diwali a good time to go to the Little Rann of Kutch-endless.jpg
Old 20th October 2009, 19:46   #14
BHPian

genesis,

Waiting impatiently for your travelogue, including route map(s), excel and pics.

I intend to do Udaipur and surrounding areas, from Mumbai early next year- your travelogue will be of great help for planning another trip to the Rann ( including Junagadh, Palitana & Gir; maybe Pavagarh too).

P.S. : Udaipur - Chembur ( Mumbai) in 10.5 hours minus 1.5 hours for stoppages= 9 hours. Total distance between Udaipur -Ahmedabad bypass-Baroda-Mumbai must be approx. 775 kms.
So your average speed of approx. of 86 kmph is very impressive.

Regards
Old 21st October 2009, 12:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Back yesterday from an outstanding trip. Thanks everyone for their help.
Stayed at Desert Coursers in Zainabad and loved it.
Did get a wee bit hot in the afternoon (took morning and evening safari's) but there was a brisk breeze.

Went to Modhera, Patan and then....Udaipur

All roads are outstanding other than the entering/leaving Maharashtra state from Manor/Vasai/upto Ghodbunder entrance.

Udaipur-Chembur, Mumbai- 10hrs door to door including 1.5 hrs of breaks for food for self and car.
Awesome!

How lucky did you get with seeing Indian Wild A$$es from close proximity? This was over 3 days, right?

Do post some pictures to go with your travelogue!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks