Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Cochin - Madurai : Route Queries

Hi Guys,

In the wee hours of Oct 16th (Friday) Iam planning to make a trip to Madurai from Cochin. I tried searching the team-bhp forum and also did a bit of googling without much success for the exact info Iam looking for.

I sincerely need some help. Iam planning to travel with my mom in my 9 yr old Esteem (Good condition car though) and all the way and back on Sunday.

I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ROUTE URGENTLY.

Most of the people I asked dont really know about the cochin-madurai route properly. The more common route is the Kottayam-Kumily-Cumbum-Theni-Madurai, which people are sure of. But then thats too long for me from Cochin.

I need clear cut information on the following route:-
Cochin - Muvatupuzha-Kothamangalam-Devikulam (near Munnar)-Bhodinayakanur-Theni-Madurai. 270kms.
  • I wanna know whether we need to touch Munnar town or is Devikulam a diversion before that.
  • And how are the roads after the Kothamangalam section till Theni.
  • If the route is through Munnar, then is the route after Munnar safe enough to travel with my mom, in case of breakdown?
As Iam travelling with my mom, please suggest if its ok to travel at night too. As of now Iam planning to start by 3-4am. Is it ok to start a bit more earlier?

Please please help. Plz suggest other route if you find the one I said is a bad option.

Regards,
Sam
Old 13th October 2009, 23:22   #2
BHPian

the route you have mentioned second is correct. no problem with roads. but no decent toilets all along the route till madurai for ladies. will take minimum 5 + hours drive time. be careful after munnar, as getting down the ghat , is a little narrow stretch.
Old 13th October 2009, 23:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi Guys,

In the wee hours of Oct 16th (Friday) Iam planning to make a trip to Madurai from Cochin. I tried searching the team-bhp forum and also did a bit of googling without much success for the exact info Iam looking for.

I sincerely need some help. Iam planning to travel with my mom in my 9 yr old Esteem (Good condition car though) and all the way and back on Sunday.

I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ROUTE URGENTLY.

Most of the people I asked dont really know about the cochin-madurai route properly. The more common route is the Kottayam-Kumily-Cumbum-Theni-Madurai, which people are sure of. But then thats too long for me from Cochin.

Cochin - Muvatupuzha-Kothamangalam-Devikulam (near Munnar)-Bhodinayakanur-Theni-Madurai. 270kms.
  • I wanna know whether we need to touch Munnar town or is Devikulam a diversion before that.
  • And how are the roads after the Kothamangalam section till Theni.
  • If the route is through Munnar, then is the route after Munnar safe enough to travel with my mom, in case of breakdown?
As Iam travelling with my mom, please suggest if its ok to travel at night too. As of now Iam planning to start by 3-4am. Is it ok to start a bit more earlier?

Please please help. Plz suggest other route if you find the one I said is a bad option.

Regards,
Sam
Hi

To answer your qs:

1.The route to Devikulam is via Munnar,you would have to touch Munnar.The climb to Munnar begins from Adimaly.There really isnt anything called as Munnar town,for you to worry about traffic jams etc,once you reach Munnar just ask for directions to Devikulam or Theni,its a right turn from Munnar.

2.Roads have been generally good in that area.No real bad stretches reported till now,however I havent travelled that stretch for more than a year now,so cant really comment on the latest status,wait for updates from other TBHpians who have done this stretch recently,

3.I am not sure what do you mean by safe?There are no robberies or dacoities on the roads,if thats what you meant.If you were referring to facilities,it is just like any other ghat section roads in India, with poor facilities in terms of eating places,petrol stations etc till you reach the plains @ Theni.Its best to tank up @ Munnar.

It wouldnt take you more than 6hours to reach Madurai(at the latest),so you can afford to leave Kochi by 5am also and you would be in Madurai by 10-11am latest(a distance of around 250kms).You would have a fair section of ghat drive in this route,but the route is definitely scenic.
Old 13th October 2009, 23:37   #4
BHPian

THANKS A TON for the replies.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanna know whether we need to touch Munnar town or is Devikulam a diversion before that.
And how are the roads after the Kothamangalam section till Theni.
If the route is through Munnar, then is the route after Munnar safe enough to travel with my mom, in case of breakdown?
There is a route without touching Munnar. The road starts at Adimali (after Kothamangalam and Neriamangalam, before the ghat road to Munnar starts) and goes directly to Poopara (where the Bodi road deviation is on the MUnnar-Kumili road). This will avoid both Munnar and Devikulam. The road condition was also good 1 month ago, but I don't think it is a great idea to go on these less-travelled roads at night. There is also wildlife on this road, and better to stick to the route via Munnar. Watch out for elephants and bison in the Devikulam-Poopara-Bodi medu sections too.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

SH33 and SH19? Somewhere on this forum I read the Idukki district has very nice roads.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:58   #7
BANNED

Guys
Could you guide me regarding the shortest route from kochi to Madurai. Planning a trip this weekend.
Regards
Dilip
Old 7th January 2014, 12:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Could you guide me regarding the shortest route from kochi to Madurai. Planning a trip this weekend.
Regards
Dilip
Kochi-Muvvatupuzha-Adimali-Rajakkad-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-NH49-Madurai

Arnd 6hrs of drive time.If you are travelling after sunset,then I suggest you stick to the route via munnar and do not deviate from the munnar road after adimali.if its daytime take the deviation and go straight to Poopara avoiding Munnar and Devikulam.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is the Bodi road opened up for traffic? Last I heard it was closed with traffic being diverted via Cumbum.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 22:42   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is the Bodi road opened up for traffic? Last I heard it was closed with traffic being diverted via Cumbum.
Guys
Anyone travelled along this stretch?
Cheers
Old 8th January 2014, 06:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Guys
Cheers
In fact I too posed this question but no reply so far. Will be doing this stretch this week end and will let know of the status then.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
In fact I too posed this question but no reply so far. Will be doing this stretch this week end and will let know of the status then.
I can suggest a simple solution. Call the Club Mahindra guys at Munnar (Chinnakanal). They would let you know the exact situation. Because for them (in fact for all resorts in Chinnakanal) Theni-Bodi is a much faster route to their locations compared to Udumalpet (which though is more beautiful). Hence they would be more aware about its current conditions.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I can suggest a simple solution. Call the Club Mahindra guys at Munnar (Chinnakanal). They would let you know the exact situation. Because for them (in fact for all resorts in Chinnakanal) Theni-Bodi is a much faster route to their locations compared to Udumalpet (which though is more beautiful). Hence they would be more aware about its current conditions.
Thanks ampere. In fact I called up CM guys after posting this query here and they confirmed that the route is open now. Sorry for the late update here. I will actually be taking Chinnar route for my return as I don't want to miss the same and am a wild life enthusiast and hope to meet some on my return leg. Also planning to visit chola forest at Top station, Munnar to take a stroll on the ever green forest.
Old 15th January 2014, 11:50   #14

Quote:
How is the road condition, planning to travel in about 2 weeks from now.

Thanks, Vinod
Old 15th January 2014, 19:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponoth View Post
How is the road condition, planning to travel in about 2 weeks from now.

Thanks, Vinod
Theni-bodimettu-munnar route is open now. But watch out for pot holes and big boulders en-route. Will test your patience and back at the same time. Though the route is open 24 hours, it is better to drive during the day due to above said reasons. From bodimettu check post till poopara, the road condition is pathetic.

Most Viewed