Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 20:21   #1

A trip along Malabar-Konkan coast.

Hi all!

I have been planning a trip with my lady for a coupla months now, details are:

1st leg: Bangalore - Kochi (for a friend's marriage)
(Preferably through Nagarhole - with a stopover)

2nd leg: Kochi- Goa (spread over a couple of days)
(Preferably through Mangalore-Udupi)

Any suggestions on routes preferred based on road condition? We do not mind a longer route if road/drive is better. I will be driving my NHC and I'm not new to the highway/long distance driving.

Im, mainly worried about- the Kochi- Mangalore stretch, as i am not familiar with those roads and - the condition of roads from Mangalore to Karwar as i know they can be pretty bad after the rains.

Looking forward to suggestions and inputs from all the members here and needless to say- i will be greatly thankful.

P.S: I started a new thread since I didnt find any single relevant thread. Mods, pls move/merge if necessary.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Hi all!

I have been planning a trip with my lady for a coupla months now, details are:

1st leg: Bangalore - Kochi (for a friend's marriage)
(Preferably through Nagarhole - with a stopover)

2nd leg: Kochi- Goa (spread over a couple of days)
(Preferably through Mangalore-Udupi)

Any suggestions on routes preferred based on road condition? We do not mind a longer route if road/drive is better. I will be driving my NHC and I'm not new to the highway/long distance driving.

Im, mainly worried about- the Kochi- Mangalore stretch, as i am not familiar with those roads and - the condition of roads from Mangalore to Karwar as i know they can be pretty bad after the rains.

Looking forward to suggestions and inputs from all the members here and needless to say- i will be greatly thankful.

P.S: I started a new thread since I didnt find any single relevant thread. Mods, pls move/merge if necessary.
Just a thought,the circuit that you have suggested retraces a lot of roads(in the sense,you would be driving up and down through the same roads which could be monotonous & boring at times).Instead you could try it this way:

BLR-GOA(via NH4):Approx 650kms

GOA-Nagarhole(NH17)(Karwar-Mangalore-Virajpet-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole):Approx 600kms

Nagarhole-Kochi(NH17)(Manathavady-Perambra-Kozhikode-Kunnamkulam):Approx 350kms

Kochi-BLR(NH47/NH7):Approx 525kms

This way you wouldnt be retracing any of the routes.Just a thought since you mentioned,longer distances are not a limiting factor.Only difference would be that you would have to keep Kochi as your last destination which would mean you would have to rejig your dates.

As per your itinerary,Bangalore to N'hole is around 235kms and should take you around 4hours(without stops).Blore-mysore depending on where you are starting in Blr could be covered in around 2-2.5hrs.Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole would take another 2 hours.

To stay Kabini River Lodge is the most popular one.There is also the place owned by the CCD group called Cicada Kabini which is an equally good place to stay.Rates ofcourse are dependent on the days,season etc it ranges from a bomb to a steal.

From Nagarhole,you could come to Kozhikode via Mananthavady.From M'thavady you could either connect to the NH212(Gundulpet-Calicut road)and then proceed towards Calicut.The other option is to reach K'kode via Perambra,(this is a state road and you would need to ask for directions,distance more or less the same).

Kozhikode to Kochi is around 220kms(via Thrissur(NH47) or via Chavakkad(NH17)-both routes do not differ by much around 10-12kms).
Old 16th October 2009, 15:13   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Kochi to goa thru mangalore and udupi? Kochi to udupi is fine. But Udupi till Karwar, frankly speaking, people are searching for roads. NH17 is in tatters. They've moved from being volcanic craters to lunar craters. Try taking a detour from udupi to shimoga. You can cross Sagara, jog falls, sirsi, yellapura and take NH63 to join Ankola (30 odd kms from karwar). Longer distance, but roads are good from Agumbe.
Old 17th October 2009, 00:22   #4

@ ranjitp1: Thanks for the detailed reply with an alternative, but as mentioned, its a friends marriage on the 30 and our holiday begins thereafter. i.e. no changes possible as to the orientation. (have replied to your PM)

@MX6 : good to know that Kochi-Udipi is fine. Beyond that there are a couple of alternatives - of which you were kind enough to mention one. Thanks!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks