Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 09:34   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Salem Route information

Hi All,

Planning to take the road to Salem from Chennai, in my trusty old Wagon R. Planning to take the NH4, NH 46 and NH7 at Krishnagiri.

Route is Chennai -> Sriperumbudur -> Ranipet -> Arcot -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Omalur -> Salem.

Have the following questions?

1. Is the route all through 4 laned?
2. Is there any other route that I should take? I need to have safe roads, Taking my 77 yr old mom and kids and wife, I donot cross 80 kmph on my wagon r.

Do help with information guys....

Regards,
lsjey
Old 19th October 2009, 12:26   #2
BHPian

It's Clean and 4 laned thruout. Enjoy your drive.
Old 19th October 2009, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Hi lsjey,

Please share experience once you done this trip. I am planning to goto Erode via this route anytime next month by my cute Wagon-R Lxi.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
It's Clean and 4 laned thruout. Enjoy your drive.
Thanks a bunch manav. I was thinking that the stretch between Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri was only two lanes. So the highways guys have done it up. Great!!

Jebs >> I'll post the details of any events after the journey.

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 19th October 2009 at 18:20.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Hi All,

Planning to take the road to Salem from Chennai, in my trusty old Wagon R. Planning to take the NH4, NH 46 and NH7 at Krishnagiri.

Route is Chennai -> Sriperumbudur -> Ranipet -> Arcot -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Omalur -> Salem.

2. Is there any other route that I should take? I need to have safe roads, Taking my 77 yr old mom and kids and wife, I donot cross 80 kmph on my wagon r.

Regards,
lsjey
Yes, this route is fully 4 laned. I have a small suggestion though, you can continue in NH46 till Vaniyambadi and take left to Thirupattur - Uthangarai - Harur - Salem. It is not four lane road, only two lanes. It was very good a year ago, i am not sure about the current condition though. It will save 30-35Kms and some toll charges.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

Its completely four-laned. Just be aware that eat outs are available at Krishnagiri city only and then only before Thoppur (An A2B on the opposite side of the road). Hence plan accordingly.

This I am speaking for the NH7 stretch. I am not sure about the NH46.
Old 20th October 2009, 16:02   #7
VMG
BHPian

Done 3 trips in the last 3 months to Salem from Chennai. Excellent 4 lane road to Salem.

Enjoy and safe driving.
Old 20th October 2009, 16:15   #8
BHPian

I just drove from Chennai to Kochi on 16Oct. NH4, followed by NH46 and NH7 are just too good. Neat roads with ample markings and nicely maintained dividers.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Hi All,

Regards,
lsjey
This route is the best, and Last month I even more enjoyed my trip with Cruise control. Enjoy your driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi lsjey,

Please share experience once you done this trip. I am planning to goto Erode via this route anytime next month by my cute Wagon-R Lxi.
To go to Erode, take the diversion from Toppur to Mettur - Bhavani-Erode. Do not go to Salem, the 4 lane between Salem- Bhavani is still a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Yes, this route is fully 4 laned. I have a small suggestion though, you can continue in NH46 till Vaniyambadi and take left to Thirupattur - Uthangarai - Harur - Salem. It is not four lane road, only two lanes. It was very good a year ago, i am not sure about the current condition though. It will save 30-35Kms and some toll charges.
I wouldn't recommend this route, Its not that good, and I do not think it will save you time - since you can drive 100+ easily via krishnagiri-Dharmapuri.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:21   #10
BHPian

Thanks guys a bunch... Thanks tbhp..... I'm amazed at the response rate and the velocity of responses...

Way to go tbhp.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 21st October 2009, 15:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
To go to Erode, take the diversion from Toppur to Mettur - Bhavani-Erode. Do not go to Salem, the 4 lane between Salem- Bhavani is still a mess.
To Erode, you can take diversion from NH7 to Omalur (15 kms before Salem) and then proceed towards Sankari. Sankari is 39kms from Omalur. This route is single laned either side with less traffic and moderate roads. In Sankiri, join NH-47 again for some distance and then take diversion to Erode. This will save 20kms.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:38   #12
BHPian

Completed the journey

Guys,

Here goes my report on Chennai Salem Route (NH4 -> NH 46 -> NH 7):

1. The route is great to drive and very small car friendly with no pot holes or things that the small car guys need to worry about.
2. There is a cost to this however, there are 7 toll booths on the way and expect to spend upwards of Rs.200/- one way.
3. In my 9 yr old wagon r I could do the distance of 368 KMs in 5 hrs flat.
4. Onward journey started at 5:00 AM. Did this to avoid traffic in Porur/ponamalle areas.
5. Expect traffic until Sriperumbudhur with factory buses during shift change times
6. The section from Dharmapuri to Salem can be tricky at night. Watch out for 7 pairs of speed breakers in the thoppur ghat section. They come out at you with out a warning. Also there are a couple of diversions as bridges are yet to be completed.
7. There are Maruti service stations in Vellore, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri and Salem. Not sure of other locations though.
8. Expect traffic at any time between Dharmapuri and Salem.
9. The roads are so good that my 9yr old wagon r, could do 125 Kmph consistently with a a load of 3 adults and two children with full luggage.
10. Return journey started at 10:30 PM. The drive time was only 4.5 hrs.
11. Total trip distance: 1202 kms.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 27th October 2009, 13:49   #13
BHPian

Congrats lsjey. Hope you had a nice trip with Wagon-R. Did you click any pic? Please share them. I'm eager to see that thoppur ghat section as everyone talking about.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:29   #14
BHPian

Jebs,

I did not take any pics. But thoppur ghat section I'd say is a good and picturesque place. The only negative is that one needs to be very careful driving from Dharmapuri -> Salem. This is downhill and so one needs to control speed. I feel that that the highways dept went crazy and constructed 7 pairs of speedbreakers. If you go at speed then cars like Wagon R will suffer heavy damage. The return route (Salem -> Dharmapuri) is ok. No speed breakers. It is an uphill climb, so one will automatically be slowed down by slow moving trucks.

Most Viewed