Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 14:20   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Jaisalmer-Ahmedabad is 545 kms.
Jaisalmer-Barmer 160 kms-Sanchore 135-Deesa 75-Palanpur 30-Mehsana 70-Kalol 35-Ahmedabad 40

If you drive non-stop (without any breaks), you will take 9 hours. Road is fast and congestion-free after crossing Palanpur.
Thanks hvkumar.

Decided on doing the straight drive and have dinner at Vishalla in Ahmedabad. Looking for suitable accomodation there. Ramki was kind in letting me know of Hotel Anjali.

Can't appreciate enough to let you guys know how much inputs from TBHP has helped my planning. Its definitely a boon, compared to the scanty information previously available through telephone contacts and hear-say in the yester-years.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
jaysmokesleaves,

Have you finalised your plan?

Regards
Yes, I have, as below!! I have dropped Barmer due to time constraints.

Day1: Bombay - Palanpur (meeting all the Tbhpians along the way) 18th Nov
Day2: Palanpur - Jaisalmer
Day3: jaisalmer
Day4: Jaisalmer
Day5: Jaisalmer - Jodhpur
Day6: Jodhpur
Day7: Jodhpur - Pushkar - Ajmer
Day8: Ajmer - Udaipur
Day9: Udaipur
Day10: Udaipur - bombay. 27th Nov.

I might minus a day in Jaisalmer & add it in Jodhpur or Udaipur(going with the flow).
The initial plan was to drive straight to Jaisalmer, but since quite a few of you have agreed to meetup enroute, I shall be stopping at Palanpur.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 13th November 2009, 12:09   #63
BHPian

Jay,

If you can, please maintain a log and share your driving & sightseeing experience, incl. pics.

Happy driving!
Old 13th November 2009, 14:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Jay,

If you can, please maintain a log and share your driving & sightseeing experience, incl. pics.

Happy driving!
You should write the travelogue. If not for others you yourself may want to walk down the memory some time and you can relive the experience.

I wrote mine upto 5th day and next 7 days are pending. Hope to do this week end as I have time in my hand.

Nainar
Old 13th November 2009, 16:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jay,

Happy driving!
Buddy, maintaining a log is a skill that I sadly dont possess. Dont think I shall be able to do one for this trip either. I will certainly try n put up a travelogue with pics and share the experience with the community. Will certainly try to include all th POI's, distances, routes and other useful info, etc.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:17   #66
BHPian

I have to warn people coming back from Gujarat to Mumbai. The Minute you cross into Maharashtra, the roads go for a toss. In fact when I had gone sometime back, many roads in Gujarat were also broken.

Please look out for thorns in Rajasthan so please do not try and drive the vehicle offroad if possible.

If the Road is a Two Way(and even if it is a Four Way) then please take care and do not try to overttake forcefully all the time. Sometimes there is oncoming traffic in your lane so drive carefully and do not over stress yourself for time.

Carry some Juicy Fruit and Water. Do not try to blindly race with everyone as they may be knowing the road better than you.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:21   #67
BHPian

Hi guys

I'm planning a trip to Rajasthan around Christmas this year and need to get the driving plan sorted out.

D1: Bangalore - Mumbai
D2: Mumbai - Jaisalmer
D3: Jaisalmer
D4: Jaisalmer
D5: Jaisalmer - Bikaner
D6: Bikaner
D7: Bikaner - Jodhpur
D8: Jodhpur - Bundi
D9: Bundi - Nagpur
D10:Nagpur - Bangalore

I'm not too sure about D9 and D10. How are the roads on this stretch (Bundi -Nagpur - Hyderabad)? I've been to Hyderabad on couple of occasions and find the BLR-HYD stretch super-fast.

Would appreciate any inputs on D9 and D10.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

canonguy, your D1 and D2 are very aggressive. That is 2,200 kms + in 2 days. OK if you are used to long-distanbce high-speed driving, but otherwise very rigorous.

I would not spend that much time in Bikaner, preferring to move on to Jodhpur on D6 itself.

Which route do you plan to take from Bundi to Nagpur - that is going to be a very long day too, on not-so-good roads. You will find it really difficult to go that far this day. NH12 through Bundi to Kota is not in good shape currently, and one is unsure how it is further down. Currently, Bhopal-Nagpur is also in a bad shape. Nagpur-Bangalore is OK, but still very challenging.
Old 26th September 2010, 05:54   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

hvk is right - unless forced to plan to limit days travel to max of 700kms. Gives you time to rest and also do impromptu sight seeing en-route. I'd agree with you to give a day for each place. Else it will be been there done that kind of holiday. Cut out Bundi for this trip and spend a day extra in Udaipur on the way back. A day at Mount Abu while going to Jaisalmer will be a good break.

You can spend a night out at dune camps in Bikaner or Jaisalmer. It is lovely experience.
Old 26th September 2010, 08:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I need advice about the following:
1. Is the plan good enough to cover sightseeing at the selected destinations?
2. Can any additions be made to the plan ? OR Any alterations suggested ?
3. I would love to do a jungle safari in Ranthambore if time permits & if the sanctuary is open in Nov.
4. Are there any offbeat locations that can be added by replacing any of these destinations ?
5. Is the plan too stretched? Should I reduce the number of destinations?
6. Hotel suggestions and route plans are most desired.

I am open to a completely different plan or suggestions to cover Rajasthan over a maximum of 14 days Bombay to Bombay.

Thanks in advance.

J
I did an almost similar trip ex Delhi in November 2009. Your plan is both reasonable and will be sufficient for sight seeing. Roads in Rajasthan are very good, mostly straight and traffic free. You will have no problems covering 300 km in 5 hours typically. Expect heavy traffic from Ajmer to Jaipur and around Jaipur. November is a very good month. Low number of tourists, good weather and cheap hotels. Try finding hotels directly without prior bookings. It will be very easy to get rooms in November. RTDC hotels will cost more and do not have good service. Although, RTDC in PUshkar is highly recommended. PM me if you need specific details.

Above comments only relevant to your plan within Rajasthan. No comments on your Bombay to Udaipur and return plan.

Last edited by roy_libran : 26th September 2010 at 08:34.
Old 26th September 2010, 08:41   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Hi guys

I'm planning a trip to Rajasthan around Christmas this year and need to get the driving plan sorted out.

As HVK stated, D1 and D2 are very aggressive. Can't comment on Banglore - Mumbai route as I am not aware of current conditions but Mumbai - Jaisalmer will be too much in a day if you are not comfortable driving long hours. You can break Banglore - Mumbai in to two days and start early morning from Mumbai and can spend night at Mount Abu which is doable comfortably.
Old 26th September 2010, 09:52   #72
BHPian

Your first two days are rigorous. Like HVK said, if you are used to long distance driving should be ok. Atleast D1 is doable and the road conditions are pretty good. The D2 is going to be tough, given that you already drove 1000+ kms the previous day and had a few hours of rest.

There is nothing big to do in Bikaner. One day should be enough there. You can spend some more time in Jodhpur. Am not aware of Nagpur route conditions but you can check various threads in this forum.

Enjoy the trip.

Nainar
Old 26th September 2010, 12:18   #73
BHPian

Thanks hvk ji, sudev ji, roy_libran, Nitrous_Power and anainar. Really appreciate all the inputs.

I agree D1 and D2 appear quite hectic. Let me explain my reasoning for planning these days the way I've posted.

Early this year I had made a BLR-BOM-BLR round trip. I averaged 68 kph for the onward journey (1016 kms from HSR Layout BLR to Andheri West BOM, door to door) including a one hour break at Pune. For the return leg I averaged 87 kph (non-stop with two fuel breaks, again door to door) as the roads were deserted due to Gudi Padwa and Ugadi.

Keeping above in mind, I feel if I leave BLR at 200 am I should be able to reach Mumbai by 4-430 pm with an hour's break at Pune or someplace and should average 70-72 kph including this stoppage time. If this happens, I can have an 11-11.5 hrs break at Mumbai and start out for Jaisalmer by 330 am on the next day.

Now, I have absolutely no prior experience of driving this stretch (BOM-Jaisalmer) and I understand from the experiences of fellow bhpians that there is heavy traffic between Mumbai and Ahmedabad and thereafter one can make good progress. So, if I start from Andheri at 330 am will it be possible to beat this traffic and reach Jaisalmer by 830 pm including a 1 or 1.5 hrs stoppage time on the way? This would mean an average of 66 kph. Is this realistic or too ambitious for the road conditions on this stretch?

All inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 26th September 2010, 12:25   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you been to Udaipur? If not it is worthwhile to add that as start point of your trip and drop a day else where. Alternative was Mt. Abu with Dilwara temples worth the visit.
Old 26th September 2010, 18:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

I did not understand the logic of the sectors from D3 to D7. Jodhpur is just 300 kms away from Jaisalmer. IMO, you should do Mumbai - Udaipur, Udaipur - Jodhpur, Jodhpur - Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer- Biakner, Bikaner - Bundi - Nagpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
Hi guys

D3: Jaisalmer
D4: Jaisalmer
D5: Jaisalmer - Bikaner
D6: Bikaner
D7: Bikaner - Jodhpur
D8: Jodhpur - Bundi
D9: Bundi - Nagpur
D10:Nagpur - Bangalore

I'm not too sure about D9 and D10. How are the roads on this stretch (Bundi -Nagpur - Hyderabad)? I've been to Hyderabad on couple of occasions and find the BLR-HYD stretch super-fast.

Would appreciate any inputs on D9 and D10.

Most Viewed