Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 06:38   #1

Hyderabad - Warangal - Bhadrachalam

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to the Bhadrachalam trip from HYD and I have searched for the information on the above route in the forums, found some useful info, however I have the below query:

HYD - Warangal - Mulug - Ramappa Temple (Detour) - Nagaram - Bhadrachalam (full day drive)

Has anyone done the Nagaram to Bhadrachalam stretch? How are the roads, safety etc., Google maps show there are 2 routes from Nagaram to Bhadrachalam: 1) via Venkatapuram 2) via Manuguru

Which one is more scenic, safe and better?

Welcome any suggestions or inputs....Thanks
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:24   #2

Hi,

Nagaram you are referring to is actually known as Eturunagaram.

Route 1 (via Venkatapuram) is not possible as you have to cross River Godavari to reach Venkatapuram and there is no bridge at that place.

You can use Route 2 (via Manuguru) and Bhadrachalam is approximately 100 Kms from Eturunagaram. Please refer to HVK's post for more details on this route at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1005034

From Ramappa lake (Palampet), you can also try Route 3 (Palampet - Mulugu - Narsampet - Khanapur - Pakhal Lake - Illendu - Paloncha - Bhadrachalam.).

Both Route 2 and 3 will have 100 kms of single road and were Naxal strongholds till 5 years back, but not much activity of late. Both are very scenic routes and goes through thick forests for considerable distance. You can cover Hyderabad - Warangal - Ramappa Lake - Bhadrachalam in a single day. Decent food can be found only at Warangal and Badrachalam.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:24   #3

Thanks ksrchowdary

Appreciate your inputs

I like the route via Manuguru...for the fact that it runs along or close to Godavari river...Looks like we would end up on the Manuguru forest stretch during late afternoon so I would need to complete the route before it gets dark as it looks like a single road within forest with no lights....
I was hoping to drive along the river Godavari if there was a road available next to it or along the river

I will try the other route via Khanapur & Illendu while returning from Bhadrachalam to HYD.

Do you know how much of detour would Pakhal Lake would be if I plan to check that out while on my return??

Thanks!
Old 24th October 2009, 14:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory21 View Post

Do you know how much of detour would Pakhal Lake would be if I plan to check that out while on my return??
There was not much of a difference between the 2 routes, both will be ~200KMs. To get clear idea, go to Map My India site and zoom in near Warangal and you can view both the routes on either side of wild life sanctuary.
Old 25th October 2009, 13:33   #5

thanks a bunch!

All - updates on any recent experiences on the route from Warangal to Bhadrachalam are welcome!
Old 25th October 2009, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Like ksrchowdary says, you can check out the following link:
CHATTISGARH 2008 - hvkumar | Google Groups

I took the following route:
Hyderabad-Warangal-Ramappa-Eturunagarm-Manuguru-Bhadrachalam

I went 1 year ago, the roads were simply great. It is a very scenic road. I also went to the Ramappa Lake and the temple nearby.

The road ends at Eturunagaram because there is no bridge across the River Godavari to Venkatapuram although several maps show a bridge to exist.

I drove through this sector by day, no Naxal problems 1 year ago, I saw maximum Naxal activity between Bhadrachalam and Jagdalpur.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:04   #7
BHPian

First time highway drive: Hyd -> Warangal -> Hyd: Need advice :)

Hello fellow t-bhpians,

This is my first post in this sub-forum. I am planning on my first ever highway trip to Warangal and back from Hyderabad. I have completed about 8k on my car, so though I'm not a new driver, I don't have much highway experience.

Specifically, I would like to know the best way from my current place (Lingampally/Nallagandla) to Warangal. Me and my family are also planning to see the following on the way: Bhongir fort, Yadagirigutta temple and Kolanpuka Jain temple. The plan is to leave tomorrow morning.

Is there any alternative to not going via the Lingampally -> Hitech -> Begumpet -> Secbad -> Tarnaka route? Otherwise the drive to Tarnaka itself is quite tiring

Also, any general highway driving advice would also be much appreciated

Since I'm leaving tomorrow, would appreciate any quick tips/advice

thanks,
Raj

PS: Happy dussehra/dashami to all tbhp folks!

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th October 2012 at 09:07. Reason: ONLY 2 Smileys per post
Old 24th October 2012, 09:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First time highway drive: Hyd -> Warangal -> Hyd: Need advice :)

The route that you highlighted to get out of the city is the best route. Other route is to go via. the ORR and get off at Vijaywada exit and come back towards the Warangal highway which is quite circtious

I dont think in one day you can cover Yadgirigutta temple, Jain Temple, Bhongir Fort plus all attractions in Warangal like the Durga Temple, 1000 pillars temple etc.

I suggest you skip the enroute attractions and just check out Warangal attractions as the Yadgirigutta temple and others can be seen anytime as they arent too far.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 09:19   #9
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your quick reply mobike! I forgot to mention - I'm *not* doing this in one whole day. I plan to just cover Bhongir, Jain temple and Yadagirigutta on the way to Warangal.

We're staying at Warangal for a couple of days, and heading back on Saturday. That gives us plenty of time to see Wgl sightseeing spots.

We also plan to visit Pembarthy from Warangal to check out some brass handicrafts etc!
Old 24th October 2012, 10:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Basic highway driving tips are that ideally the right most lane is an overtaking lane and the only reason to drive for a long time in that lane is if you are driving considerably quicker than everyone around you. Unfortunately our highways have too many slow driving vehicles who refuse to get off the right lane, which complicates the issue.

Again ideally you should never overtake a vehicle from the left side but as stated above it is difficult with slow people refusing to move out of the fast lane.

Try to stick to a lane as much as possible. I know a lot of people in india who choose to drive in between the lanes on a two lane highway. Their logic is you never know when someone will come onto the road from either side, and that this position offers them the best position to take evasive action. Ideally you shouldn't do this, but our highways are particularly dangerous with dozens of unmarked speed breakers and with it passing through towns and villages.

Try not to overspeed on the highways. I know it is tempting, especially when the roads are good and our cars can handle it, but the above mentioned, speed breakers and villages/towns, have made our highways dangerous. A lot of people like to drive the wrong way on the road so that they can save themselves a few kilometres of driving to find a spot to turn around. Talking about that, the u-turns on our highways, as opposed to flyover turn arounds (done as it is cheaper) are very dangerous as you can be n the fast lane and suddenly find a very slow vehicle in front of you.

Please make sure you have a good spare tyre, tools for changing a puncture and enough fuel (don't let it drop below half tank) as fixing these problems is a lot harder on the highway with a larger distance between service stations.

Oh yes, always use your seatbelt whenever you drive, but more so on the highway due to the higher speeds involved.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 10:48   #11
BHPian

The drive to WGL is quite pleasant what with four-laning now done all the way upto after Bhongir! As a student at a college in WGL, I used to do this trip almost every weekend by bike. It is a very easy 140-150 odd km and in a relaxed manner can be done in 4 hours with breaks for tea/lunch.

You might be able to get fruits for cheap at Jangaon (at the X roads), or the famous Aler tea at Aler (although I admit I never tried it except at Aler railway station) There are quite a few dhabas on the route and you won't have to pack for the journey. There also is a Jersey dairy "factory" outlet somewhere near Jangaon (I fail to remember the exact spot now) which is a shop right outside the dairy. You can halt for some refreshments such as butter milk, lassi, flavored milk, etc.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 11:35   #12
BHPian

Pganapathy and helmet, excellent tips and advice - thank you both very much!

Yes, I am planning to go with full tank so that I don't need to worry about refueling at all!

Hellmet, I hadnt even heard of fruits and Aler tea. Will investigate these and the butter milk (which my mom is very fond of) right away!

Quick question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
The drive to WGL is quite pleasant what with four-laning now done all the way upto after Bhongir!

Isn't Bhongir only 40kms or so from Hyd? Is the 4 lane upto Bhongir or almost till WGL?

Thanks!
Raj

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th October 2012 at 18:37. Reason: back to back posts
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 12:02   #13
BHPian

No idea on the routes, but yes, have driven a bit on the highways, especially the NH8.
There will be idiots around you, but remember, you need to be a good driver and not loose your cool.

Slow moving truckers, lane cutting fast black tinted SUV's are all part of the group that might make your temper go high.

Relaxed driving with some good music is the key to enjoy your drive. I suggest leave early in the morning with a fresh mind and reach your destination before sunset as your experience on the highway is a bit less. That is what I follow even now.

If you honk (flashing might not work in day time) a trucker in the right lane for overtaking, wait till he completes his overtaking move and he is most likely to give you side. That is what I have encountered here on NH8 most of the times. There are some who will crawl on the right most lane and no amount of honking or flashing is going to get them off. That time, you have no choice but to overtake from the left, but with caution.

Keep your fuel levels up all the time as possible and take adequate breaks in between. During my 1st highway trip, when I just had 1k of driving experience, I used to take breaks at less than 100Kms.

Always wear your seat belt and advise your family to do so as well.

Wish HVK sir gives you the tips he has been following from years now. It should be there in some thread of his.

All the best and drive safely.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 12:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Quick question!

Isn't Bhongir only 40kms or so from Hyd? Is the 4 lane upto Bhongir or almost till WGL?

Thanks!
Raj
Yes, end of Bhongir is about 50KM from my place in Tarnaka. I don't know if they four-laned the road after Bhongir bypass (there was no bypass during my days) because it has been a long time since I took that highway. But this (Hyd-Bhongir) stretch is where four-laning matters most as there is quite a bit of traffic movement until Bhongir.

Let me warn you ahead that this Jersey parlour serves everything in packages, just like they do here in Hyderabad. The only difference is that this parlour happens to be on the highway and helped me a lot on my rides in the summer. This parlour is a small shop in the middle of nowhere on the highway, so it should be easy to find. Ok, now I sound like a Jersey salesman. Enough said.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:21   #15
BHPian

Carzone ji, valuable tips - thank you sir.

Hellmet, thanks again for your response. I will keep a look out for the Jersey shop . BTW I notice that you also have a black Beat, and this journey of mine will also be in a Blue Beat!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks