Team-BHP - Gypsy Journey planned : Nagpur-Mangalore-Chikmagalur-Goa-Solapur-Nagpur : Need inputs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Gypsy Journey planned : Nagpur-Mangalore-Chikmagalur-Goa-Solapur-Nagpur : Need inputs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/68015-gypsy-journey-planned-nagpur-mangalore-chikmagalur-goa-solapur-nagpur-need-inputs.html)

Dear All
i am planning this journey in a gypsy that i have purchased in the army auctions and restored.
I plan to travel Nagpur-Mangalore-Chikmagalur-Goa-Solapur-Nagpur by starting from Nagpur on 20 Jan 2010. I have a slot of 10 days to do this.

I need help in planning the best routes to take in the various legs of this journey.

My tentative plan is to travel Nagpur-Mangalore between 20th to 23rd jan, Stay in Mangalore between 23rd to 24th, push off for Chikmagalur on 25th, visit the Bharda/Muthodi Wildlife sanctuary on 25th and 26th Jan, Start the konkan drive on 26th-27th and return via Solapur stopping by to visit the Nannaj Great Indian Bustard sanctuary on to Nagpur by the 31st Jan.

I need help in planning the routes, places to stop to visi and stop over at nights, apart from the things to carry and help in preparing my Gypsy for the drive.

I would be also looking for inputs about various destinations that i need to consider visiting on this route.

Thanking you all and expecting inputs to make my trip stand out.

warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Attached is the first rough draft of my route on google map. Please help me get rid of potential bugs :) !!

CiaO.

Hi all

While I am planning this I wonder if there are any team bhp members in Mangalore who can guide me on local travel in and around mangalore.
Since my itinerary is not fixed and I have a couple of days to spare, I will be looking for inputs regarding places to go apart from the ones that I have already planned.

I would be also looking for decent beach accomodation at Mangalore.
For Chikmagalur and Bhadra I am talking to "Tex wood" resort. How is this place ?

I am basically looking to stay at the forest department lodge at bhadra but i understand that getting a confirmed booking there is next to impossible over such long distances. Can anyone help me out here as well?

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Hi all
Further to my two posts, since nobody has contributed , I am posting my further plans of details of travel around mangalore.

I plan to do the following mangalore-Kudremukh-chikmagalur-Bhadra-Agumbe-Shimoga-Jog falls-Goa

I will be driving generally along the area through the Kudremukh National park heading on to chikmagalur through the coffee plantations and hopefully stop for 1/2 nights at chikmagalur/bhadra (most probably tex woods resorts in absence of better alternatives/no inputs from you all)

Then proceed to Agumbe to generally drive through the area and visit the Rainforest reserve station and try to stay for one day in the company of the King Cobras and generally follow the footsteps of swami (of malgudi days) !!

From there I plan to drive through Shimoga to reach Jog falls where I plan to stop over for a few hours before heading on to Goa via NH-17.

I need inputs on the following :
  1. What is the best time to start from mangalore so that I can drive leisurely through Kudremukh National park and reach Tex resorts at chikmagalur. The sole motive of this trip is a relaxed drive and comfortable stay with family and lot of stops for photography.
  2. Is there any other place for me to stay at chikmagalur other than tex resorts where I can get a professional and comfortable stay and get professional inputs for my travel in bhadra sanctuary. I understand that the forest lodge at Bhadra is very difficult to book over long distances.
  3. What is the best time to start for agumbe and what is the best route to take from chikmagalur. Are there any good places to stay for one night at agumbe ? What routes to take in agumbe ?
  4. What route to take from agumbe to Jog falls and how much time to spend there and where.
  5. When to start for goa ? Where to stay in goa overnight (looking for cheap homestays here) ?

I would be glad if the karnataka experts start contributing here.
Attached herewith is the planned route around mangalore.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

take a look at these. Probably you'll get some hints.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mmangundi.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...km-8-days.html

Further I feel you'll get a shock!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abheekg (Post 1559273)
I plan to do the following mangalore-Kudremukh-chikmagalur-Bhadra-Agumbe-Shimoga-Jog falls-Goa
I need inputs on the following :
What is the best time to start from mangalore so that I can drive leisurely through Kudremukh National park and reach Tex resorts at chikmagalur. The sole motive of this trip is a relaxed drive and comfortable stay with family and lot of stops for photography.

It's better to start during morning time(say 10am) you'll reach Kudremukha by afternoon after a relaxed drive & reach Chikmagalur by evening
Quote:

Is there any other place for me to stay at chikmagalur other than tex resorts where I can get a professional and comfortable stay and get professional inputs for my travel in bhadra sanctuary. I understand that the forest lodge at Bhadra is very difficult to book over long distances.
There are many places to stay at Chikmagalur particularly homestays.
Tex wood resorts seems nice, though I haven't been there.
Else you can try Taj Gateway @ Chickmgalur or Planter's court (budget one)
Quote:

What is the best time to start for agumbe and what is the best route to take from chikmagalur. Are there any good places to stay for one night at agumbe ? What routes to take in agumbe ?
From chikmgalur, you start by around 11pm, you can visit Sringeri enroute to Agumbe, so that you are there for the sunset.
Route - CKM - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe
Road is good all the way till Agumbe
Quote:

What route to take from agumbe to Jog falls and how much time to spend there and where.
Route - Agumbe -Theerthally - Mandagadde(bird scantuary)- Shimoga - Sagara - Jog
There might an internal road from Agumbe - Jog via hosnagara, but I don't have any idea about it, so will not suggest it.

Quote:

When to start for goa ? Where to stay in goa overnight (looking for cheap homestays here) ?
Jog - Honnavar - Kumta-Karwar -Goa
Start by late morning, so that you are there in Goa by evening atleast.
Lots and lots of resorts/lodges/homestays in Goa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushrutha (Post 1561370)
From chikmgalur, you start by around 11pm, you can visit Sringeri enroute to Agumbe, so that you are there for the sunset.
Route - CKM - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe
Road is good all the way till Agumbe

I think you meant 11 am:)

@abheek, If you want to visit Bhadra on the way, start very early from Chikmagalur take the Lingadahalli-Tarikere-Lakkavalli-Shimoga-Mandagadde-Theerthally-Agumbe route. You can probably make it to the sunset provided you leave early. This route is longer than what sushrutha has suggested.

You can also visit another part of Bhadra Wildlife reserve at Muthodi which is much nearer to Chikmagalur and a small deviation from the Agumbe route.

AFAIK, there is no place to stay in Agumbe. Although, someone in this forum has pointed out that the famous 'Malgudi Days' house offers accommodation.

Quote:

Route - Agumbe -Theerthally - Mandagadde(bird scantuary)- Shimoga - Sagara - Jog
There might an internal road from Agumbe - Jog via hosnagara, but I don't have any idea about it, so will not suggest it.
Alternatively, there is a road connecting Theerthally to Sagara via Anandapuram. This road was pretty decent the last time I traveled on it (sometime in May).

For the Goa Solapur leg,this is a recommended route:

Panjim-Mapusa-Sawantwadi:NH17

Right turn at Sawantwadi-Amboli-Ajra-Gadhinglaj-Sankeshwar.At Sankeshwar join the BLR-Pune NH4.

Take a left on the NH4 at Sankeshwar and go onwards to Kolhapur.

At Kolhapur take a right under the Miraj flyover and get onto Kolhapur-Miraj state highway.At Miraj take a left and join the Pandharpur road.Continue on the Pandharpur road till you reach Sangole Circle.At Sangole take a right towards Mangalvedha and continue onwards to Solapur.

PS- do not continue straight after Sangole as that would take you to Pandharpur.Its a longer way by around 70kms to reach Solapur.Go straight only if you have intentions of visiting Pandharpur,else take the Mangalwedha route.

TIME & DISTANCES

Panjim-Kolhapur: Approx 240kms / 5hours

Kolhapur-Sangole : Approx 150kms/3hours

Sangole-Solapur: Approx 85kms / 1.5hrs

Total: Approx 490kms / 9-10HRS

Place to stay @ Solapur

Hotel City Park (Welcome to Hotel City Park - Solapur). A very good place to stop over.Rooms are in the range of INR 1600.