Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 16:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

To go to Katra, you have to continue on NH1A via Samba, Jammu and Nagrota till Domel where you take a left turn to go to Katra. The right turn at Dyala Chowk before Samba takes you directly to Udhampur which is beyond the Katra turning.

You can take the Jammu bypass from Jammu Cantonment to Nagrota Contonment.

You can make it on Day 3 to Katra if you are able to reach Ambala or further on Day 2.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Updated Route Macro Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To go to Katra, you have to continue on NH1A via Samba, Jammu and Nagrota till Domel where you take a left turn to go to Katra. The right turn at Dyala Chowk before Samba takes you directly to Udhampur which is beyond the Katra turning.

You can take the Jammu bypass from Jammu Cantonment to Nagrota Contonment.

You can make it on Day 3 to Katra if you are able to reach Ambala or further on Day 2.
pune-thane(gorebunder)-udaipur-delhi-ambala-pathankot-katra-srinagar-gulmarg & back via same route

Inputs
  • Take the Turbhe-Airoli-Mulund-Thane-Ghodbunder route to bypassing Bombay, although the Kalamboli-Mumbra-Thane road is also much better nowadays
  • Turn off Baroda-Ahmedabad expressway onto Sardar Patel Ring Road to avoid going into A'bad city (check out exact coordinates in my log book)
  • Don't forget to turn off Nh8 onto NH76 at Udaipur
  • Stick to the route via Delhi, avoid the Rewari-Rohkat-Panipat route
    - Road is still 2-laned after Bhogpur (Jalandhar-Pathankot road), wrecked inside Pathankot town and being widened all the way to Jammu
  • Do not take the ludhiana by pass, The city has an elevated road and the traffic is much better and faster there.
  • Do not forget to take the right turn from Jalandher to Pathankot for NH1A
  • Continue on NH1A via Samba, Jammu and Nagrota till Domel where you take a left turn to go to Katra. The right turn at Dyala Chowk before Samba takes you directly to Udhampur which is beyond the Katra turning.
    Take the Jammu bypass from Jammu Cantonment to Nagrota Contonment.

Overnight stay -
  • Day1 stop over in Udaipur.
  • Day 2 (preferably Ambala)
  • Day3,4 to Katra,Jammu.
  • Day 5 Somewhere near Srinagar, Gulmarg
  • Day 6 -detour towards a destination to meet someone
  • Day 7- udhampur
  • Day 8- Delhi
  • Day 9- Udaipur / Mount Abu
  • Day 10 - Pune
That leaves me with 3 days of buffer for any exigency
HV, Please let me know if there is anything else missing on this

I am already in process of getting bookings for Jammu and onwards trip and then concentrate on the middle towns based on t-bhp recommendations and the HV's log trip

Thanks

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 27th October 2009 at 16:54.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

HVKUmar Sir, dont you think he will be wasting a lot of time if he attempts to pass Delhi in the evening for Ambala?? Even if he starts from Udaipur at 5 am he would cross Delhi at around 5pm and the rush will me maddening!!!

Day 2 will be around 900 kms, about 420 of it from Udaipur to Jaipur will be a breeze (if you take NH79/ NH76 ) but after that till Ambala will be a total contrast, heavy traffic, Delhi city traffic, NCR evening traffic!!

It will take any where around 15-16 hrs of driving ( udaipur- jaipur 420kms =6-7hrs/ Jaipur- Delhi 265 kms= 4.5- 5hrs/ delhi- ambla 200kms= 3.5 to 4 hrs in the evening) . Hope you ok doing that.

Why dont you stop at Delhi and then start early morning for Katra/ Jammu? Delhi- Jammu is around 10hrs if you miss the Delhi traffic!!

My two bits, sorry if I have caused some confusion here.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
HVKUmar Sir, dont you think he will be wasting a lot of time if he attempts to pass Delhi in the evening for Ambala?? Even if he starts from Udaipur at 5 am he would cross Delhi at around 5pm and the rush will me maddening!!!

Day 2 will be around 900 kms, about 420 of it from Udaipur to Jaipur will be a breeze (if you take NH79/ NH76 ) but after that till Ambala will be a total contrast, heavy traffic, Delhi city traffic, NCR evening traffic!!

It will take any where around 15-16 hrs of driving ( udaipur- jaipur 420kms =6-7hrs/ Jaipur- Delhi 265 kms= 4.5- 5hrs/ delhi- ambla 200kms= 3.5 to 4 hrs in the evening) . Hope you ok doing that.

Why dont you stop at Delhi and then start early morning for Katra/ Jammu? Delhi- Jammu is around 10hrs if you miss the Delhi traffic!!

My two bits, sorry if I have caused some confusion here.
deky, I entirely agree, I think I had also mentioned this in an earlier post. Even with some zestful driving, it should take not less than 10 hours to reach Delhi, which means if you leave Udaipur by 6 am, Delhi will be 4-5 pm arrival. He can chose to halt at Behror RTDC, which is just 2 hours drive before Delhi, but that would mean a very very long day drive to Katra the next day.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:33   #20
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

If you reach Delhi by 4-5 pm, then you can definitely make it to Karnal by 8 pm. This is in spite of all the Delhi/NCR traffic. Don't worry too much about it and from close to the airport turning start looking for the way to Delhi cantt. That route is much better and faster. Proceed to the Pitampura metro line and take a right turn. You will definitely make it to Karnal by-pass in less than 2 hours this way. After that, it takes hardly 1.5 hours more to Karnal. Stop at either the Haryana tourism Oasis complex or the Haveli complex. Both are plum on the highway.

Regards
Akadian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2009, 10:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi Rahul,

If you reach Delhi by 4-5 pm, then you can definitely make it to Karnal by 8 pm. This is in spite of all the Delhi/NCR traffic. Don't worry too much about it and from close to the airport turning start looking for the way to Delhi cantt. That route is much better and faster. Proceed to the Pitampura metro line and take a right turn. You will definitely make it to Karnal by-pass in less than 2 hours this way. After that, it takes hardly 1.5 hours more to Karnal. Stop at either the Haryana tourism Oasis complex or the Haveli complex. Both are plum on the highway.

Regards
Akadian

Got the hotel details for Oasis, Karnal

1 Night Doublebed room costs approx 2000.00/- pretty expensive i guess

Oasis
0184-2267264

Thanks
Rahul
Old 29th October 2009, 10:41   #22
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Have you already booked that in Oasis? If you have not, there are two more choices, New World and Haveli. New World is on the GT Road just as you are about to enter Karnal limits from the Delhi side and Haveli is on the other side after Oasis towards Ambala and Chandigarh. Both these places have rooms for around 1200 - 1500 for sure. If you are interested, I'll ask someone to block a room for you

Regards
Akadian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 23:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi Rahul,

Have you already booked that in Oasis? If you have not, there are two more choices, New World and Haveli. New World is on the GT Road just as you are about to enter Karnal limits from the Delhi side and Haveli is on the other side after Oasis towards Ambala and Chandigarh. Both these places have rooms for around 1200 - 1500 for sure. If you are interested, I'll ask someone to block a room for you

Regards
Hi Akadian

I havenot booked yet at Oasis. Would you please PM me ur contact details at Kernal.

Thanks
Rahul
Old 30th October 2009, 19:49   #24
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

I'm not in Karnal right now. I was just thinking of asking one of my relatives or friends to go have a look

Best
Old 30th October 2009, 22:48   #25

You have not specifiedd the dates, if you are travelling dec/Jan
Lets catch up. I am travelling from Pune - Delhi - Pune Stating Pune 24th Dec 09 and returnubg fron Delhi on 2nd Jan 10
Old 31st October 2009, 18:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil.raddi View Post
You have not specifiedd the dates, if you are travelling dec/Jan
Lets catch up. I am travelling from Pune - Delhi - Pune Stating Pune 24th Dec 09 and returnubg fron Delhi on 2nd Jan 10
Oops

Planned days are
Start on 18Dec and Reach Jammu on 20Dec
Visit Katra-Pahalgam-Srinagar-Gulmarg.

Heck with a help of a friend if I get a chance go to as near as Zojilla.

I have made arrrangements of borrowing snowchains *safety* as well from Jammu onwards

if I calculate ride distance it would be approx 5400 kms of pure bliss. Unless something stupid happens

Hotel Bookings at Gulmarg,Srinagar/Pahalgam are already under process
Hotel bookings enroute Pune-Delhi are being enquired.

Guys, I have a E-71 with GPS and ovi maps. I hope they would suffice the needs.. Any suggestions.
I also have a digital compass, which is extremely accurate.

Boy, Am I looking forward to this trip

Thanks
Rahul
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi

What are the odds of Jawahar Tunnel being closed during the week of 21st Dec 09

Thanks
rahul
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Hi

What are the odds of Jawahar Tunnel being closed during the week of 21st Dec 09
l
Unlikely to be closed in Dec. Possibilities in Jan & Feb, but even that will be a temporary disruption of 2-3 days at most. I have driven that road in Dec, it is dry as the desert. But nowadays, one can never say.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

So the travel plans are firming up

1. Starting on 19th Dec early morning and doing a night halt at udaipur
2. Starting from Udaipur on 20 Dec early morning towards jaipur-delhi-sonepat-panipat and night halt at Karnal.
3. Start from Karnal on 21st Dec early morning towards jammu, katra.
4. Night halt at Katra on 21 and 22 Dec (Bookings confirmed at JKTDC)
5. Start for Tangmarg on 23rd Dec (Night stay at tangmarg JKTDC,23,24,25)
Roam Gulmarg/Srinagar etc etc etc..
6. Start for Jammu 26th, night halt at Jammu TRC JKTDC..damn expensive :(
7. Start back towards delhi on 27th Dec and do a night halt at sonepat or Karnal ???
8. Aim udaipur for 28th Night and then make a run to pune on 29th Dec.

Guys any addenums on the aforesaid travel plans ????
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

The route is almost 99.99%
I am also trying to workout a backup alternate route. Since I have a e71 with GPS, I was trying to load OVI maps customized and need some tips from users of the same here.

Since I am not really sure, I am not booking any hotels enroute and would finalize the same by 6pm everyday. Is that a good idea. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
So the travel plans are firming up

1. Starting on 19th Dec early morning and doing a night halt at udaipur
2. Starting from Udaipur on 20 Dec early morning towards jaipur-delhi-sonepat-panipat and night halt at Karnal.
3. Start from Karnal on 21st Dec early morning towards jammu, katra.
4. Night halt at Katra on 21 and 22 Dec (Bookings confirmed at JKTDC)
5. Start for Tangmarg on 23rd Dec (Night stay at tangmarg JKTDC,23,24,25)
Roam Gulmarg/Srinagar etc etc etc..
6. Start for Jammu 26th, night halt at Jammu TRC JKTDC..damn expensive :(
7. Start back towards delhi on 27th Dec and do a night halt at sonepat or Karnal ???
8. Aim udaipur for 28th Night and then make a run to pune on 29th Dec.

Guys any addenums on the aforesaid travel plans ????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks