Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 10:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK for your feedback. We have noted your recommendation to take NH 53 and will be implemented.

Days 1 and 16 are really long stretches and frankly we have no option but to do these as there is no other way of doing this trip in the time frame available. The only thing that gives us confidence is that there are four drivers for the two cars and these stretches are largely on the GQ. We hope to do these stretches by restricting the time on each break.

Incidentally day 1 is possible only if we go via Vijayawada as the road via Khammam and Aswaraopet is reportedly not as good as it used to be.

Cheers,
Old 11th November 2009, 11:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest starting out really early, something like 2/3 am on Day 1. My personal experience is roads are generally empty and devoid of too many truckers. 2 am start will allow you to hit Vijaywada by 7 am.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1576372-post104.html

Please check out the above link, on 3 things:
- Bad Bhadrak-Balasore stretch
- Extortion at the WB-OR border
- Traffic jams at WB-OR border
Old 11th November 2009, 11:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would suggest starting out really early, something like 2/3 am on Day 1. My personal experience is roads are generally empty and devoid of too many truckers. 2 am start will allow you to hit Vijaywada by 7 am.
That holds good for most highways but the Vijayawada Rd. is a notable exception. Leaving at that time one would face horrific amounts of oncoming bus traffic as buses from Vijayawada, Vizag, Guntur etc. reach Hyd. between 4 and 6 in the morning. Leaving at 5.00, one hopes to beat the outgoing traffic and be on the the 4 lane portion till Ramoji Film City till just before 6.00. The 4 laned portion from Nandigama to Vijayawada too will hopefully be not too crowded when we cover it around 8.30 to 9.30.

Cheers,
Old 11th November 2009, 12:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget to "sweater" your car's bonnet in Tawang, it can be very cold there in Dec. When I went there in Dec, I found frost covering the windshield, but my Matiz started at second try (without any "sweatering").
Old 11th November 2009, 12:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
That holds good for most highways but the Vijayawada Rd. is a notable exception. Leaving at that time one would face horrific amounts of oncoming bus traffic as buses from Vijayawada, Vizag, Guntur etc. reach Hyd. between 4 and 6 in the morning. Leaving at 5.00, one hopes to beat the outgoing traffic and be on the the 4 lane portion till Ramoji Film City till just before 6.00. The 4 laned portion from Nandigama to Vijayawada too will hopefully be not too crowded when we cover it around 8.30 to 9.30.

Cheers,
I would tend to disagree. Even though the Bus/Truck traffic might be high (which it is anways during the day as well). Atleast during the night you will not have jokers on cycles/bike/auto/foot on the highway. Its easier to maneuver with truck /bus traffic but really frustrating with the above mentioned morons
Old 11th November 2009, 13:34   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would tend to disagree. Even though the Bus/Truck traffic might be high (which it is anways during the day as well). Atleast during the night you will not have jokers on cycles/bike/auto/foot on the highway. Its easier to maneuver with truck /bus traffic but really frustrating with the above mentioned morons
From my experience of driving on this highway until Vijaywada at all times, be it early morning start, late afternoon or night driving. I have experienced unprecedented traffic at all times.

It would be a miracle if you can touch 80kmph and i guess 5:00AM heading out sounds like a sane plan on this highway as Ravvs can wave out a hello to most of the oncoming traffic just outside Ramoji Film City
Old 11th November 2009, 13:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
From my experience of driving on this highway until Vijaywada at all times, be it early morning start, late afternoon or night driving. I have experienced unprecedented traffic at all times.
True, that is a horrendous stretch. HRH RR is an experienced driver on that stretch, but alas, he ain't drivng that bit .

Ravvs, each time I see your plan, I start drooling. Damn it, I wish I was working in HP, since they declare mandatory off days for all employees in Xmas week
Old 11th November 2009, 15:35   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Driving between 12am to 5am on Hyderabad- Vijayawada highway is the most horrific experience one can have..the bus and trucks are absolutely ruthless and can give quite a few jitters for smaller vehicles.

The amount of fatigue that may set in during the early part of the journey may hamper the the overall progress for the day.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:02   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
True, that is a horrendous stretch. HRH RR is an experienced driver on that stretch, but alas, he ain't drivng that bit .
RR experiencing that stretch that late evening with full traffic = comfort and languishing moments for me in backseat.

Guess who was happy in the end?
Old 11th November 2009, 19:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Ravvs, each time I see your plan, I start drooling. Damn it, I wish I was working in HP, since they declare mandatory off days for all employees in Xmas week
Two things: 1. "Work from home" and 2. Data card!! think about it, you can still make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Don't forget to "sweater" your car's bonnet in Tawang, it can be very cold there in Dec. When I went there in Dec, I found frost covering the windshield, but my Matiz started at second try (without any "sweatering").
Thanks Chief, for teaching me about sweatering/jacketing in your Ladakh thread.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1576372-post104.html

Please check out the above link, on 3 things:
- Bad Bhadrak-Balasore stretch
Let me just add this thread to the above - Puri and Chilka from Kolkata - Rediscovering coastal Orissa. Predatorwheelz has given some nice details of the route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Driving between 12am to 5am on Hyderabad- Vijayawada highway is the most horrific experience one can have..the bus and trucks are absolutely ruthless and can give quite a few jitters for smaller vehicles.

The amount of fatigue that may set in during the early part of the journey may hamper the the overall progress for the day.
Well said Brajesh bhai. That stretch, at that time of the day can be as bad as Ameerpet and would make one want to turn back and go home. Over 20 years of driving on that stretch has taught me that doing it is all about timing the departure - the only time to leave Hyderabad is between 5.00 and 6.00 a.m. There used to be another window around 11 a.m. to 1.00 pm but that has all but disappeared now. If one is forced for any reason to drive at night, the best thing to do is to leave around 11.00 and follow one of those madcap Volvo buses.

Cheers,
Old 11th November 2009, 22:48   #87
BHPian

ravs.. i happened to see alpine continental and o2 .both look pretty good man

any updates on the new year's eve passes/parties in shillong?

too early to ask but not too early to think.

any shillong tbhp folks can give us leads.what say?
Old 12th November 2009, 08:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
ravs.. i happened to see alpine continental and o2 .both look pretty good man

any updates on the new year's eve passes/parties in shillong?

too early to ask but not too early to think.

any shillong tbhp folks can give us leads.what say?
Both Alpine and O2 were discovered by Chetan, so all bouquets (and brickbbats if any) go to him.

About that party - I am clueless. Why don't you PM members from Shillong.

Cheers,
Old 12th November 2009, 09:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Just back from Assam. Have done a Cal - Tezpur run (in bits and pieces) starting mid September, using different routes. Will add up/ collate the times and distances, and post.

Quote:
23.12.2009 06.00 am Depart Siliguri – Mal – Koch Bihar – Donkinamari – Pathsala – Nalbari – Rangia – Darrang – Tezpur. Night Halt Hotel JK, Tezpur.
Cheers,
There are various options for Siliguri to Tezpur, but your one does not seem optimal. Some discussion needed.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th November 2009, 09:22   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if these two issues can be bypassed by using the Kolaghat-Contai-Digha-Jaleshwar route. Is the Orissa RTO as active on WB-OR border along the state highway that this route takes?
Attached Thumbnails
AP to AP queries (Hyd-Vtz-Barddhaman-Siuri-Maldah-Siliguri-Tezpur-Tawang-Shillong)-untitled.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks