Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 11:55   #31

re: Mumbai - Nashik : Route Queries

I just used the Mumbai - Nasik highway on the weekend of 9th March. Went to Nasik for the weekend, returned on Sunday, March 10. Left at around 7 am in the morning from Santa Cruz. And I was completely blown by this stretch of road. Beautiful road to drive on (am sure will get even more beautiful during the monsoons), smooth, no glitches, good lanes, excellent ghat road. I reached Nasik in around 2.5 hours, and was driving at a constant speed of around 100 km/hr.
This is the best road to take for a weekend getaway around Bombay. Beats Pune by a huge margin. And because the road is so good, the distance and time become irrelevant.
Sincerely hope, more and more roads like this are prepared across the country. What was the really good thing was that this is a tar road, and not a concrete one. The pleasure and confidence one derives from the way the tyres grip this road is indeed an awesome feeling.
aashishtrivedi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 10:05   #32
BHPian

Travelled from Mumbai to Nasik during the past weekend, i.e. 23-24th March. Roads are in excellent condition and one can easily maintain constant speeds of 80-100kmph, subject to traffic. We encountered sparse traffic, except at some bottlenecks, especially while leaving Mumbai. Other than that - a very pleasant drive. Had a lot of fun at the Kasara Ghat flinging my Linea around.
On the way to Nasik, tried out the "Ghatan Devi Marg" as mentioned by GTO and coolabhi, though the road has the potential to be a lot of fun, as of now, roughly half the length of the road is in a bad state, with the road surface severely pitted and some sections potholed. Of course the upside is that the road offers a lovely driving experience, with tight turns, fairly long curves and lovely up and down elevation changes, just watch out for cattle and oncoming taxi traffic.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 14:53   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Had a lot of fun at the Kasara Ghat flinging my Linea around.
You drive a T-Jet right? Man, one of my most memorable drives on this road has been in the T-Jet . I wish I could revisit that morning again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best part about the drive : On Monday morning, I left from Deolali at 0430 hours. The next 2.5 hours is me alone in the car, and alone on the highway. No disturbances inside the car, no traffic outside. Stopping at a dhaba (Kadak chai + Marlboro) after 90 minutes of high-revving = Priceless. Ah, the simpler pleasures of life.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You drive a T-Jet right? Man, one of my most memorable drives on this road has been in the T-Jet. I wish I could revisit that morning again.
Yes, GTO I drive a T-Jet. Usually, no matter how empty the road maybe, I rarely exceed speeds of 100-110. But, ghat sections are something else, once we began climbing, I left all the traffic in my rear-view mirror and eventually they left the rear view mirror as well!!

The Ghatan-Devi Road is amazing as well, but driving hard there gave my Linea a real beating, till I slowed down and babyed her over the rest of the bad patches.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Yes, GTO I drive a T-Jet. Usually, no matter how empty the road maybe, I rarely exceed speeds of 100-110. But, ghat sections are something else, once we began climbing, I left all the traffic in my rear-view mirror and eventually they left the rear view mirror as well!!

The Ghatan-Devi Road is amazing as well, but driving hard there gave my Linea a real beating, till I slowed down and babyed her over the rest of the bad patches.
[quote=NMS;2993319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments and replies

@NMS - Pune to nasik via mumbai?oh! do u drive via navi mumbai-kalyan route?

Yup !! Via Kalyan. I prefer that route to the direct one. Its much more peaceful. The road from Pune to Nasik is a 2 lane SH. And trust me, the way people drive on that highway is Horrific !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are several flyovers in that stretch, some are incomplete, but the main one at Dwaraka Circle (where you turn off to Shirdi) is still incomplete & causes traffic bottlenecks.
Might have to travel to Igatpuri from Pune the coming weekend. After reading this I am all the more excited and wanting to do this drive

Now coming to my query, since I will be driving from Pune, will be entering Navi Mumbai via the Expressway. I have to be at Igatpuri by 9AM. Want to know, which route to take for exiting Mumbai. Google Maps shows an exit from Panvel and takes to Nasik highway via Navade, Taloje, Shilphata and Mumbara. So is this the right route? I would prefer a route which has lesser traffic. Any alternate suggestion to this route?
Old 30th May 2013, 18:47   #36
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Now coming to my query, since I will be driving from Pune, will be entering Navi Mumbai via the Expressway. I have to be at Igatpuri by 9AM. Want to know, which route to take for exiting Mumbai. Google Maps shows an exit from Panvel and takes to Nasik highway via Navade, Taloje, Shilphata and Mumbara. So is this the right route? I would prefer a route which has lesser traffic. Any alternate suggestion to this route?
I don't know much about the traffic scene in Mumbai, but you could surely try going via Thane, It might be a bit longer but will have lesser traffic at that hour.
Once you get off the express highway, just keep going straight towards Thane, I don't know what is the last T junction from where you have to take a right turn.
I have done the same route in a little more than 4 hours approx at around the same time.
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 19:25   #37
BHPian

[quote=aniket.tiwari27;3135919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post

Hey Ankit , I have never travelled from Pune to Nasik Igatpui so not very sure about the route.
I checked the route shown on google maps (the one mentioned by you) and it seems that it is the feasible one.
Coming via thane will no doubt be smoother but will be very long. The kalyan stretch may not be a smooth ride but seems to be the right option.
I suggest you take help at all major turns so that you dont end up in the wrong route. Have a great weekend !
Old 30th May 2013, 19:28   #38
BHPian

[quote=aniket.tiwari27;3135919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post

coolAbhi,

For reaching Igatpuri by 9AM, you would be in Navi Mumbai sufficiently early to not really worry about traffic. The road via Mumbra would be shorter, but I was never sure about the traffic and other obstacles. So I have never tried it. My preferred route is via Thane. After exiting the express-way, you just need to keep going straight, following road signs for Thane, and then you can cross over the Thane creek at Airoli. The road will take you to EEH, straight to Igatpuri. You would end up paying Rs30 toll twice, but it is convenient...

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sschivate : 30th May 2013 at 19:31. Reason: Used wrong name in salutation!!
Old 31st May 2013, 10:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post

For reaching Igatpuri by 9AM, you would be in Navi Mumbai sufficiently early to not really worry about traffic. ...
My preferred route is via Thane. ...
but it is convenient...
+1 to sschivate. If you have to be at Igatpuri by 0900, then safe to assume that you should be getting off from the Mum-Pune Exp near Kamothe at about 0630-0730 at the very latest (depending on how fast you drive). At that hour on a weekend you will find very sparse traffic in Navi Mumbai and the road is far simpler in direction and far better in condition as well. Just go straight after exiting the Expressway, on the Thane-Belapur Road (rid is a bit bumpy but much shorter than the Palm Beach Road and the diversions it will involve for you).
Keep going straight till you get to Airoli, cross the Thane Creek at via tha Airoli Bridge and immediately turn right onto the EEH. From there it is a straight shot all the way to Nasik.

Don't bother with the Mumbra stretch - been there yesterday, the road has too much truck and trailer traffic and some stretches are bottlenecked with single carriage ways, potholed/paved with paver blocks. Overall the Navi Mumbai - Thane road is a FAR better bet than the Mumbra - Shilphata Road!!

Last edited by PGNarain : 31st May 2013 at 10:18.
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:36   #40
BHPian

Am returning from Nasik .It rained in Kasra and it was a lovely drive through the ghats. Also saw an overturned truck ,probably it slipped off.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130602_172021.png
Views: 3958
Size:  513.2 KB
Attached Images

Old 6th August 2013, 18:31   #41
BHPian

Planning a trip to Igatpuri & Bhandardara during coming weekned. How are the road conditions on Mumbai-Nashik highway especially after some heavy rains early in the season?
Old 7th August 2013, 08:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Mumbai Nasik highway is good for a drive and does have some bad patches but they are still driveable. I had recently gone (2nd week of July) and found the roads to be motorable.

This travelogues will give more insight with pics
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...pic-drive.html
Old 18th March 2014, 11:54   #43
BHPian

Kasara Ghat

I went on this road for my trip to Shirdi yesterday. The Mumbai nashik ghat is having lot of bends and you have to be cautious as you have to negotiate certain bends while making a steep climb. Gives you a feeling of driving in a proper ghat.

The return ghat road of nashik to Mumbai is very curvaceous without any steep slopes. You can cruise comfortably even in night.

Both the roads are one ways, but beware of idiots (two wheelers, autos) who choose to come in the wrong way opposite to you. Though they drive cautiously on the left most margin with headlights on, it is still a nuisance and sometimes you may encounter them while making a climb in a turn.

The road condition of the ghat is good especially the nashik mumbai section.

I would live to drive through this road in monsoon.

Murthy
Old 16th June 2014, 19:18   #44
BHPian

Just came back from Nashik via Kalyan to Pune on 15th June. One can reach Bhiwandi bypass signal (Kalyan Phata) in 2 hours with 80 kmph top speed.

From Nashik, approx 23 kms road is now 6 lane which was only 2 lane earlier. I remember driving on that section in 2010-11 and it was really a nightmare. No dividers, horrible traffic once you enter in Nashik city made that stretch miserable. Now there are 4 flyovers and you reach directly to Mahamarg bus station after taking 4 flyovers and a left turn thereafter.

Remaining 4 lane road is good till Thane. Some rough patches are there but no potholes. Just stay away from Kasara taxis, some of them drive rash.
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:24   #45
BHPian

Just returned from a 3-day Mumbai-Igatpuri-Nashik-Igatpuri-Mumbai trip before the monsoons hit. The highway was excellent all the way, including the Kasara ghat. No potholes whatsoever, yet and much more enjoyable than the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Tar wins over concrete any day, in my book.
Our trip was aimed at visiting the Sula vineyard and when we turned off the highway into Nashik, guided by GPS, the roads as well as local drivers' lack of road sense brought me back to earth with a few curses.
Our trip was over Tuesday-Thursday and after passing the Bhiwandi junction on the way out the traffic was unbelievably thin. Also, Manas Resort, where we stayed was practically empty, though they said the crowd comes in during the weekends. So I think if this is normal and you want to avoid crowds and you have a choice you should do this trip during weekdays.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks