Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 10:19   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
NH 17 is having some bad stretch of roads at kuttipuram .
Thank you for the suggestion.

When i checked google maps, it shows road widening/ new road creation for NH 17 at many places starting from Calicut. Road looks muddy.

Anyone has any updates?

How long does it take to reach Guruvayoor from calicut through NH17 (avoiding Kuttipuram)? Start time from Calicut would be around 7:00pm.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest taking the NH-17 anyway - if it is in bad shape, chances are the other roads are in much worse shape.

I haven't actually driven myself Calicut-Guruvayur, but have done it many times with local drivers (who presumably know the routes better). I don't think you can avoid Kuttipuram (unless you are willing to take a much longer detour via Pattambi or something). There aren't many bridges across the Bharatapuzha river.

The standard NH17 route to Kuttipuram goes as Calicut-Ramanattukara-Changuvetty-Valanchery-Kuttipuram. One alternative is to get off NH 17 at Chelari, then proceed along Chelari-Chettipadi-Tanur-Tirur-Thirunavaya-Kuttipuram. The Feroke-Kadalundi-Tirur route, though a good 10 km shorter, is usually in bad shape round the year, so you might want to avoid it altogether.
function toggle(id) {var elem=document.getElementById(id);if(elem.style.dis play=='none'){var obj=document.getElementsByTagName('object');for (var k=0;k
Old 14th September 2010, 21:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I would suggest taking the NH-17 anyway - if it is in bad shape, chances are the other roads are in much worse shape.

I haven't actually driven myself Calicut-Guruvayur, but have done it many times with local drivers (who presumably know the routes better). I don't think you can avoid Kuttipuram (unless you are willing to take a much longer detour via Pattambi or something). There aren't many bridges across the Bharatapuzha river.

Did this route last weekend. Started at 7:45pm from Calicut and reached Guruvayoor by 10:15pm. Followed NH17 all the way. Took 2Hrs and 30 mins overall.

Since it was night and heavy rain, could not even think of taking any alternative route. The route near Kuttipuram - construction is in progress - some good distance is not tarred yet. And the condition is expected to be the same as the work is not happening now. Since traffic was less, could maintain speed. Road doesn't have much potholes.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
function toggle(id) {var elem=document.getElementById(id);if(elem.style.dis play=='none'){var obj=document.getElementsByTagName('object');for (var k=0;k
Couldn't quite figure out what this was all about

OT : By the way, is your full name Binand Sethumadhavan ? (I seem to recall someone by that name from another online venue that I used to frequent ages back)
Old 15th September 2010, 19:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Couldn't quite figure out what this was all about

OT : By the way, is your full name Binand Sethumadhavan ? (I seem to recall someone by that name from another online venue that I used to frequent ages back)
Yes :-) Perhaps on IRFCA? I used to be a bit active there once upon a time. I am a bit of a mode-of-travel freak - some plane/train spotting to go with my driving. Otherwise, it would have been on a Linux forum. That junk was added by the "Quick Reply" button - not my fault, btw.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:09   #36
BHPian

re: Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates

Can someone update me on the updated road condition on the Calicut- Guruvayoor road. Planning my annual trip over the weekend. Has the road widening works completed?
Old 19th April 2011, 14:55   #37
BHPian

Re: Calicut to kochi Road route

Folks,
Planning a drive around 1st from ooty to calicut and leave around evng 6-7 pm from calicut to kochi.
Pls advice route with detailed directions,driving time, distance.

cheers
Old 19th April 2011, 17:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Planning a drive around 1st from ooty to calicut and leave around evng 6-7 pm from calicut to kochi.

cheers
Last week I had done Calicut - Guruvayoor and the roads were in good condition. Guess the rest of the route should be fine as well.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Ooty-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikad-Pattikad-Perinthalmana-Pattambi-Kulappully-Shornur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47-Chalakudy-Angamali-Kochi

This is the best route as you would be able to make good time on the entire 4 laned stretch between thrissur and ekm.Also the Nilambur-Thrissur section is low density traffic.

NH17 is narrow and too congested.I took the wadakancheri route 2 weeks back and roads are fine except for some sections between perinthalmana and pattambi and some sections between wandoor and pandikkad.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Planning a drive around 1st from around evng 6-7 pm from calicut to kochi.

cheers

Folks,
Pls advice.
tx
Old 21st April 2011, 08:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Calicut-Kochi two options:

1.NH17 till Kunnamkulam,then take the Thrissur road and from Thrissur join the 4 laned NH47.Quick,easy,fast.

2.NH17 after Guruvayur is very narrow and time consuming especially after Kodungallur.You would lose quite a bit of time.I travelled this route 2 days back and its good for a leisure drive but not good for a long drive.

My personal choice would be the Thrissur-Cochin route via NH47.Thrissum-Alwaye can easily be done in 50mins as all the flyovers are complete enroute.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Calicut-Kochi two options:

1.NH17 till Kunnamkulam,then take the Thrissur road and from Thrissur join the 4 laned NH47.Quick,easy,fast.

2.NH17 after Guruvayur is very narrow and time consuming especially after Kodungallur.You would lose quite a bit of time.I travelled this route 2 days back and its good for a leisure drive but not good for a long drive.

My personal choice would be the Thrissur-Cochin route via NH47.Thrissum-Alwaye can easily be done in 50mins as all the flyovers are complete enroute.
NH-17 would take a right turn much before Kunnamkulam while coming from Calicut. I believe that officially, NH-17 alignment is the straight road (now work-in-progress) after crossing Bharathapuzha river bridge right after Kuttippuram. Once opened, this is a much shorter and straighter route to Ponnani and helps save a lot of time as well since you will be able to drive faster than the curvy sections between Kuttippuram and Edappal.

Driving at night, it is better to choose Trichur route since the other route would be deserted during certain stretches. If at all you need to save a few kms (helps well during daytime towards Trichur), just after Perumpilavu, there is a left turn with a direction indicator board saying Trichur/Sabarimala (definitely in Malayalam and not sure about English). You will cross Kunnamkulam->Alathur road and then proceed to join Kunnamkulam->Trichur road near Kecheri. This is a very useful Kunnamkulam bye-pass (esp. all the one-ways through narrow roads) during day times but never tried in the night as you can drive faster through Kunnamkulam then.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:30   #43

While coming from Thrissur, where do we join at N17 for going to Calicut ?
Old 25th August 2011, 17:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifpm View Post
While coming from Thrissur, where do we join at N17 for going to Calicut ?
A couple of kms before crossing Bharathapuzha river just when you reach Kuttippuram. Any specific reason for this query?
Old 25th August 2011, 21:42   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
NH-17 would take a right turn much before Kunnamkulam while coming from Calicut. I believe that officially, NH-17 alignment is the straight road (now work-in-progress) after crossing Bharathapuzha river bridge right after Kuttippuram. Once opened, this is a much shorter and straighter route to Ponnani and helps save a lot of time as well since you will be able to drive faster than the curvy sections between Kuttippuram and Edappal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
A couple of kms before crossing Bharathapuzha river just when you reach Kuttippuram. Any specific reason for this query?

Basic doubt:

Kunnamkulam is not on NH17 right? So how do you connect Kuttiparam to Kunnamkulam?
Is it the road via Nadduvattam?

My understanding (as per what I read) is that its not worth taking NH17 from Kuttipuram to Chavakkad and beyond.
But I was wondering, is that a better option to drive down to Trichur via Guruvayur?
(Again I understand it would be highly traffic prone. But which road in Kerala is not heavy on traffic!!)

Most Viewed