Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 20:11   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
I am confused whether to take the NH 47 from Ernakulam to Trivandrum or the MC Road via Kottayam. Tempted to take the MC road, its been a long time since I've been on that route. What do you guys suggest ? Road Conditions ?
Starting from south, the M.C. road from Trivandrum till Chengannur is a bliss. So as from Muvatupuzha onward. Beware of speed interceptors. The 50 km from Chengannur to Ettumanur is not that bad, but dense with traffic at peak hours.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused whether to take the NH 47 from Ernakulam to Trivandrum or the MC Road via Kottayam. Tempted to take the MC road, its been a long time since I've been on that route. What do you guys suggest ? Road Conditions ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Starting from south, the M.C. road from Trivandrum till Chengannur is a bliss. So as from Muvatupuzha onward. Beware of speed interceptors. The 50 km from Chengannur to Ettumanur is not that bad, but dense with traffic at peak hours.
Yes - the stretch from Ettumanoor to Chengannoor can take you a long time to traverse if you're travelling during day time. Other than that MC road is quite a lovely drive.

If you don't mind experimenting a bit, you can try bypassing Ettumanoor, Kottayam and Changanacherry by taking a left turn at Koothattukulam and going via Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Kidangoor-Ayarkunnam-Manarcaud-Puthupally-Vakathanam-Thengana-Changanacherry byepass. This road is good throughout and the traffic is sparse as well, but if you aren't familiar with the area I'd suggest some prior planning (using a map) and use of a GPS if possible to locate the points where you need to take turn-offs from the road you're travelling. (Easy to get confused about which road to take at many junctions on the way like Koothattukulam, Marangattupalli, Kidangoor, Manarcaud, Puthupally, Thengana etc)
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes - the stretch from Ettumanoor to Chengannoor can take you a long time to traverse if you're travelling during day time. Other than that MC road is quite a lovely drive.

If you don't mind experimenting a bit, you can try bypassing Ettumanoor, Kottayam and Changanacherry by taking a left turn at Koothattukulam and going via Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Kidangoor-Ayarkunnam-Manarcaud-Puthupally-Vakathanam-Thengana-Changanacherry byepass. This road is good throughout and the traffic is sparse as well, but if you aren't familiar with the area I'd suggest some prior planning (using a map) and use of a GPS if possible to locate the points where you need to take turn-offs from the road you're travelling. (Easy to get confused about which road to take at many junctions on the way like Koothattukulam, Marangattupalli, Kidangoor, Manarcaud, Puthupally, Thengana etc)
I travelled through this route beginning of this month. it is narrow at some stretches, yet much faster than MC road also can escape from traffic congestion from Ettumanur to Kottayam. there is lack of direction signs in this route which may confuse those who are new to this route. saves 5-6kms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2864083

I thought after Puthupally, You can reach Chingavanam(MC Road). but, going through thengana will bypass changanassery which will save time.

Google Maps route: http://goo.gl/maps/Lp0SI

Quote:
Planning to drive down from Calicut to Trivandrum this saturday via the following route.

Calicut - Kottakkal-Edappal-Kuttippuram-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur- Angamaly-Ernakulam.

another route to reach MC road is take seaport-airport road from Kalamassery to reach Thrippunithura-Thalayolaparambe-Kottayam route.

Last edited by deepclutch : 22nd August 2012 at 16:55.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive down from Calicut to Trivandrum this saturday via the following route.

Calicut - Kottakkal-Edappal-Kuttippuram-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur- Angamaly-Ernakulam.

if time is not an issue you can try the m.c.road ,if not take the n.h.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:50   #80
BHPian

If you don't mind experimenting a bit, you can try bypassing Ettumanoor, Kottayam and Changanacherry by taking a left turn at Koothattukulam and going via Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Kidangoor-Ayarkunnam-Manarcaud-Puthupally-Vakathanam-Thengana-Changanacherry byepass. This road is good throughout and the traffic is sparse as well, but if you aren't familiar with the area I'd suggest some prior planning (using a map) and use of a GPS if possible to locate the points where you need to take turn-offs from the road you're travelling. (Easy to get confused about which road to take at many junctions on the way like Koothattukulam, Marangattupalli, Kidangoor, Manarcaud, Puthupally, Thengana etc)[/quote]

I'll try this route. Hope Gmaps will get me through. Hope this is a safe route to travel in the night. I will be starting from Calicut by 3 pm or so, planning to take a break at Aluva by 7.30 pm and restarting the journey by 11 pm.
Hope this is doable .
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll try this route. Hope Gmaps will get me through. Hope this is a safe route to travel in the night. I will be starting from Calicut by 3 pm or so, planning to take a break at Aluva by 7.30 pm and restarting the journey by 11 pm.
Hope this is doable .
If you're travelling by night, I wouldn't bother about this route at all. The main issue with MC road between Ettumanoor and Chengannoor is the traffic - the road condition is quite reasonable otherwise (Unless the recent monsoon has wreaked havoc - I haven't passed that way for quite a while now).

So if you're travelling after midnight there's no reason to go by the alternate route - the main highway would probably be much faster.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:32   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you don't mind experimenting a bit, you can try bypassing Ettumanoor, Kottayam and Changanacherry by taking a left turn at Koothattukulam and going via Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Kidangoor-Ayarkunnam-Manarcaud-Puthupally-Vakathanam-Thengana-Changanacherry bye pass.
Excellent suggestion. I took this route last Sunday. From Thengana, as per google maps, I went straight instead of taking a right to Changanassery bye-pass. I reached Perumthuruthy near to Thiruvalla. The entire Koothattukulam to Perumthuruthy stretch is in very good condition, except for 2-3 kms towards the end. There is a level cross near to Perumthuruthy.
Old 4th September 2012, 09:22   #83
BHPian

Did Calicut Trivandrum non stop on 25th night taking the Chamravattom route to Cochin and NH 47 thereon. The approach road to the Chamravattom bridge is in shambles for like 6-7 kms, otherwise this route is ok, especially with low traffic.

The Alleppey - Kayamkulam stretch gave me a backache, with the highest pothole density I have seen..
Old 21st September 2015, 20:35   #84

Trivandrum to Wayanad trip

Dear folks

I am planning for a trip to wayanad from 2nd to 5th October driving a polo tdi. This being my first in kerala with my wife and kid, feeling very excited. Could you please share your experience to address the following
1. What is the best time to start?
2. What route to take ( I generally use Google maps and had my share of surprises.. ;-)
3. Details of possible pitstops offering the local delicacies
4. Any precautions for the car/ trip required
5. Some reliable mechanic contact details in or around wayanad.. Just in case
6. The 4 year old car is in good condition, though not very comfortable with the stock lights. Service centre suggested of adjusting the focus. Thinking of replacing them with Philips crystal vision or xtreme vision. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Though the warranty will expire on 24th December this year, not in favour of HIDs.
7. Any special places in wayanad to cover

Sorry for the long list, but will really appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:23   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
Dear Mods.. I will drive from Trivandrum to wayanad.. Not sure the subject got correctly aligned.
Hi @vanguard, I moved your query to this thread because:

- I thought the topic is more relevant here
- The route that you would take from Trivandrum to Waynad, pretty much will share the same route till Calicut.
- Hence the road condition updates that you may get would be more current.

As regards to the route itself on a broad level:

- NH47 till Trichur via Ernakulam, Angamaly. Dont take NH17. Its crowded
- From Trichur, take the Guruvayur road to Kunnamkulam.
- You can bypass Kunnamkulam via Pannithadam
- Continue on to Eddapal, Kuttipuram, Kottakal
- Check with seasoned folks on this thread on how to bypass Calicut
- Latch on NH212. Now the best route to your destination beyond Calicut depends on where in Waynad, you plan to go.
- Cant comment on good break options.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2015 at 08:24.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:08   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Wayanad trip

Quote:
Dear folks

I am planning for a trip to wayanad from 2nd to 5th October driving a polo tdi. This being my first in kerala with my wife and kid, feeling very excited. Could you please share your experience to address the following
1. What is the best time to start?
2. What route to take ( I generally use Google maps and had my share of surprises.. ;-)
3. Details of possible pitstops offering the local delicacies
4. Any precautions for the car/ trip required
5. Some reliable mechanic contact details in or around wayanad.. Just in case
6. The 4 year old car is in good condition, though not very comfortable with the stock lights. Service centre suggested of adjusting the focus. Thinking of replacing them with Philips crystal vision or xtreme vision. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Though the warranty will expire on 24th December this year, not in favour of HIDs.
7. Any special places in wayanad to cover

Sorry for the long list, but will really appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
1. Start as early as it is comfortable for you. Maybe even 3-4am. It is going to be a long long drive (~12-13 hours of driving time) on mostly 2 lane roads with heavy traffic. So an early start will enable you to make quick progress initially. The ghat section has 9 hair pin bends. Overall road conditions should be good throughout.

2. Route as Ampere has mentioned. From where Amp left off Kotakkal- University-Calicut byepass (or enter the city from one of the entry points in the bypass to hit the eateries)- Thamarassery-Adivaram-Wayanad ghat-<depends on destination>

3. If you start very early, you should be able to reach Calicut for lunch. Would recommend the Calicut Biriyani and other non veg items (Assuming you have non veg). Hotel Garlic Route, Paragon are couple of good places. For these you need to enter the city,but that should be ok.

5. Wayanad does not have a authorized VW service center. Closest one is Calicut. Better to keep the contact details of the Calicut center handy.

7. Lot of places. There are several Travelogues on the forum. Would recommend going through those to get a good idea.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:42   #87

Thanks @ampere for the details. I am pretty new on this forum and trying to figure my way. I would be staying in thirunelli.

@Rajeevraj thanks for those heads up. And yes we are nonvegs and looking forward to that biriyani. I would have loved to search for threads. But were unable to locate the search option in the app version.

Thanks.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2015 at 11:38. Reason: Formatted post. Please refrain from dotty posts
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates

Quote:
@Rajeevraj thanks for those heads up. And yes we are nonvegs and looking forward to that biriyani.
I would have loved to search for threads.. But were unable to locate the search option in the app version.
Thanks.
I think it would be a pain if you get into Calicut city. Better keep to the by-pass and take right to NH212 towards Tamarassery at Malapparamba Junction.

Tamarassery Junction (where the road Mukkam -Balussery road bisects this road) you have a decent restaurant on the right hand side

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Last line isn't required. Lets not open the door for commercial posts. Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:20   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And yes we are nonvegs and looking forward to that biriyani. I would have loved to search for threads.
You can find the hotels and food details mentioned here.

Hotel

However, I would second Mallumowgli's suggestion on not venturing too much in to the town due to time constraints.

One option which is not much of a detour is to get off NH bye-pass at Mavoor road- NH byepass junction at Thondayad and proceed to Focus mall.

Paragon hotel has a branch inside the mall called M Grill. This will be just about 3 KMs detour and also the route is straight forward with minimum chances of getting lost.

I guess the detour will take around 15~20 mins.

Route
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:15   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ampere for the details. I am pretty new on this forum and trying to figure my way. I would be staying in thirunelli.

@Rajeevraj thanks for those heads up. And yes we are nonvegs and looking forward to that biriyani. I would have loved to search for threads. But were unable to locate the search option in the app version.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
One option which is not much of a detour is to get off NH bye-pass at Mavoor road- NH byepass junction at Thondayad and proceed to Focus mall.

Paragon hotel has a branch inside the mall called M Grill. This will be just about 3 KMs detour and also the route is straight forward with minimum chances of getting lost.

I guess the detour will take around 15~20 mins.

Route
Yes, This was what I intended to convey. Getting in an out of Calicut City from Thondayad will not take too much time. The bypass itself is now becoming like a City Road.

Here is another idea. A new mall- Hilite Mall has opened on the Calicut Bypass. It is a huge set up with a few restaurants and a good food court. Would be an idea place to stop. Right on the way and with several food options and maybe some quick shopping if interested.

Here is a thread on Wayanad. Has several posts with places to visit. Some of the common attractions are Pookot Lake, Edakkal Caves, Banasura sagar, meenmutti falls, Chembra peak, Kuruva Dweep, Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...mmodation.html

Note, all these places are set apart from each other and will require travel time. Since you have only couple of days, pick 2-3 places and stick to those.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks