Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 11:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is the utilization of the port? Any major things exported? (I have no idea).
That should decide the requirement of good roads.
Well this is what they say

Quote:
The objective of Karaikal Port is to serve as a congestion-free port that will enable efficient transportation of goods. This will be done through advanced cargo handling equipment, sufficient and damage free warehousing facilities, faster turnaround of vessels (due to mechanization of all activities) and smooth evacuation of cargo with the help of advanced, competitive logistics support. The e-port model will encourage transparent paper-free transactions at a single window.
Source : WELCOME TO MARG KARAIKALPORT: ABOUT US

Also if you take a look at the distance chart Karaikal port scores over the Chennai and Tuticorin ports.

See here : WELCOME TO MARG KARAIKALPORT: CONNECTIVITY
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:43   #32
BHPian

Probably, since it is a recently built port and proximity to Nagapattinam, NHAI's focus may not be on Karaikal port for the time being. Also this is a private port which also needs to be considered when comes to infrastructure development by Public sector like NHAI.
Old 25th December 2015, 18:12   #33
BHPian

Bangalore to Thirunallar : Route Queries

Friends,

I am planning to drive to Saneeswara temple, Thirunallar, around mid of January. I will be travelling with my wife and two daughters. I would like to know the best route and road conditions, especially after the recent rains. Thanks in advance.

Narayan.
Old 2nd July 2016, 17:50   #34
BHPian

Friends any recommendation on Bangalore to Thirunallar? Planning for a trip next month.
Old 2nd July 2016, 18:29   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Friends any recommendation on Bangalore to Thirunallar? Planning for a trip next month.
Bangalore-Salem-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Peralam-Thirunallar

- Till Tanjore its smooth sailing
- Tanjore-Kumbakonam: 2-Lane with heavy traffic
- Tanjore-Peralam-Thirunallar: Dont know the latest update. Last I read, this section was pretty bad.

My suggestion: Plan your visit with stay at Kumbakonam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
My route recommendation will be Bangalore - Salem - Virudachalam - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal - Thirunallar. Stay at Karaikal. You can also stay at Tharangambadi ( Tranquebar) if you like beaches. I do not know the present road conditions between Virudachalam - Chidambaram.

Tanjore - Kumbakonam - Thirunallar roads will be narrow and time consuming. If you stay at Kumbakonam, it will take 90 to 120 minutes to reach Thirunallar.
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:44   #37
BHPian

Thanks Folks. I am planning to start in the morning and reach Karaikal in the afternoon. Probably can plan to visit the beache in the evening and temple next day morning.

Any recommendation on hotels at Karaikal? Requirement is just a decent AC room to stay with kids.
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:37   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any recommendation on hotels at Karaikal? Requirement is just a decent AC room to stay with kids.
I had suggested Kumbakonam, assuming you may want to visit other temples as well. But if its only Thirunallar, maybe Karaikal makes more sense. But then I dont know about any good hotels around that region. Others can help I hope.
Old 4th July 2016, 11:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I had suggested Kumbakonam, assuming you may want to visit other temples as well.
Yes it is only Thirunallar so planning to stay at Karaikal so that next day I can visit the temple early in the morning
Old 4th July 2016, 14:52   #40
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Take a look at this post, about 3 years old but may give you a lead for hotels in Karaikal (this was the only post in the accommodations thread for Karaikal hotels that a search returned).
Karaikal hotels

*Found one more in this thread itself, and it was in response to your earlier question about hotels in Karaikal back in 2009
Parrys

Last edited by NPV : 4th July 2016 at 14:58.
Old 4th July 2016, 19:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Last month, one of my friend stayed in "Hotel Paris" with his family in karaikal and said it is a decent/average place though not perfect/great. Check the rooms and select which works best for you. They also have good parking space.

-Ravi
Old 5th July 2016, 07:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV;4008879'
Found one more in this thread itself, and it was in response to your earlier question about hotels
Yes you are right. This thread is started by me long time back. Now time to go again and asking for info as things would have changed over these years
Old 5th July 2016, 10:01   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now time to go again and asking for info as things would have changed over these years
From the earlier response that I mentioned in my post and what @ravib has mentioned, seems like Parrys/Paris is the good option to stay at Karaikal.
*Checked on the internet, seems to be Paris International, not Parrys

Last edited by NPV : 5th July 2016 at 10:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 20:33   #44
BHPian

I am planning a trip with family (3 adults) to Thirunallar on 5th Aug 2016. The plan is to reach there by 5th Aug evening. Vist Saneeswaran temple on 6th Aug morning and return to Bangalore. No plan to visit other temples unless they are on the way. From few posts above in this thread, I understand the best route option would be

Bangalore - Salem - Virudachalam - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal - Thirunallar

Any latest update on road conditions for this leg (Virudachalam - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal)?

I am planning to stay at SUBASREE COTTAGE on 5th night. Based on my research this seems to be a decent option closer to the temple. Happy to receive any feedback.

Welcome other recommendation / inputs.
Old 29th July 2016, 09:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Bangalore - Salem - Virudachalam - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal - Thirunallar

Any latest update on road conditions for this leg (Virudachalam - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Karaikal)?
Chidamabaram - Sirkazhi - Thirukadaiyur - Karaikal - roads are good except for a narrow stretch near the turn off near poompuhar. I returned to Madras only about 10 days back in this road.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks