Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 23:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Its non stop from Blr - Nainital, we drove Bolero & with us my wife & friends wife were there, stopped only for food & bio break. Every 3-4 hrs we took turn(only self & friend drove).
Left Blr at around 3pm on friday, came back from office around 2.30pm took quick shower & started driving immediately.
At around 5am next day we were at panvel & by 9pm we touched Rajasthan border, at 12pm next day we were at Gurgaon & 6pm we reached nainital after a exhaustive drive.

While coming back from Pauri, we took Nagpur route & that took around 72hrs of continous driving because of bad roads.
@ Tiger: Which route did you take from Pauri to Nagpur?

@ Avi, see the differences in driving times. 44 hrs while going via Mumbai and 72 hours to return via Nagpur. This is what HVK, MC and I were talking about. A whopping 63% increase in driving time. If we take driving time to Delhi at 36 hours, it will go up to about 58 hours via Nagpur.

Forget the time, imagine the fatigue for the driver and abuse the car goes through. Anyway, if your wives are letting you guys loose in Meerut / Delhi, why not take a stopover in Mumbai, I heard that the night-life in Mumbai is back in action. HRH-RR might be able to contribute some local info & colour on this.

Contrary to all logic, the best way of getting from Mumbai to Kolkata is via Hyderabad & Vijayawada! Similarly the best way for us to go to Delhi and those parts of North India would be via Mumbai (Till the North - South corridor is completed, if at all it is).

Cheers,
Old 15th November 2009, 23:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

@ Avi, Ravveendra: If I need to travel to Delhi, I would still take the route via Nagpur/Bhopal because I would be driving in a Bolero.

Driving Time on the Nagpur Route: 51 Hours total time with 37 Hrs driving time
DrivingTime on GQ Route : 56 Hrs Total Time with 39 Hrs of driving time.
Old 16th November 2009, 00:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I heard that the night-life in Mumbai is back in action. HRH-RR might be able to contribute some local info & colour on this.
lol. i would love to term it as a must visit to the ' indian institute of performing arts' .

knowing our avi ,he will have more info than i had living there for 28 years.
Old 16th November 2009, 13:23   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Avi, Ravveendra: If I need to travel to Delhi, I would still take the route via Nagpur/Bhopal because I would be driving in a Bolero.

Driving Time on the Nagpur Route: 51 Hours total time with 37 Hrs driving time
DrivingTime on GQ Route : 56 Hrs Total Time with 39 Hrs of driving time.
Quote:
@ Avi, see the differences in driving times. 44 hrs while going via Mumbai and 72 hours to return via Nagpur. This is what HVK, MC and I were talking about. A whopping 63% increase in driving time. If we take driving time to Delhi at 36 hours, it will go up to about 58 hours via Nagpur.
Guys, i am totally confused. I seemed to be pulled between Route 2 and Route 3.

Based on MC's feedback, going by nagpur route still seems appropriate and its just that i will keep a few more hours extra than what he clocked ( 51 hours) to be on a safe side.

Now the only tricky part is reaching Bhopal the same night. I am suitably warned by Ani and i dont want to take any risks. So Lets see if we can start at 3:00AM or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
knowing our avi ,he will have more info than i had living there for 28 years.
Well, my knowledge of Mumbai's institute of performing art has rusted a bit since its over a year i visited that place.

Talk about Hyderabad, i can tell you very well and also indicate where they award you properly for your performance
Old 16th November 2009, 16:43   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I am making a few overhaul to my plans. Some questions :-

1. How far is Tirthan Valley from Shimla?

2. Narkhanda is 70kms from Shimla. Is it advisable to make a day tour keeping Shimla as base camp or it would be better to spend a night in Narkhanda?

3. I assume this is the route to Tirthan Valley/Manali.

Shimla-Narkhanda-Tirthan Valley-Manali Correct me if i am wrong

4. Also, is it advisable to spend a night at Tirthan Valley or same can be done keeping Manali as base camp?
Old 16th November 2009, 17:02   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am making a few overhaul to my plans. Some questions :-

1. How far is Tirthan Valley from Shimla?
About 6-7 hours (via Bilaspur), a little more via jalori pass(scenic route)

Quote:
2. Narkhanda is 70kms from Shimla. Is it advisable to make a day tour keeping Shimla as base camp or it would be better to spend a night in Narkhanda?
If you like markets and such, stay at Shimla, if you like peace and quiet, stay at Narkanda
Quote:
3. I assume this is the route to Tirthan Valley/Manali.

Shimla-Narkhanda-Tirthan Valley-Manali Correct me if i am wrong

4. Also, is it advisable to spend a night at Tirthan Valley or same can be done keeping Manali as base camp?
1. This route may be closed when it snows, so you go via Bilaspur
2. Its must to spend a night in Tirthan. Actually 2 nights are good if you really want to see the place.
Its best to visit Tirthan like this if you are short on time
1. Tirthan shimla(reach by early evening), stay near river
2. Do river sight seeing - Go towards Jalori pass for snow - Drive to manali and stay there for the night
Old 16th November 2009, 17:31   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer. I am preparing a revised plan and will send you by email. Can you share your email address? Request your help in editing that document if you think some of the plan seems illogical.

Thanks !
Old 16th November 2009, 22:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
@ Tiger: Which route did you take from Pauri to Nagpur?
We took pauri - Najibabad-meerut-delhi-agra-sagar-nagpur, We took this route thinking roads might be better than earlier ( we did the same route in 2005 while travelling to Leh), to our badluck roads were pathetic, lot of construction going on, no proper hotels...
eventhough Blr- naini & Pauri-blr were almost same distance we just took chance & suffered. Its 300kms less & took 18hrs more.

At the end of the journey, it was just stinking clothes, itching body.!!

@avi... You may have to make a decision based on your preference. I am not aware how the roads are now. if its same & you are travelling in NHC I think its better to take Mumbai-delhi route.
few hours of bad roads on each day will spoil your journey.
Bolero will take all these bad roads without any fuss, NHC may not.
Old 16th November 2009, 22:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
@avi... You may have to make a decision based on your preference. I am not aware how the roads are now. if its same & you are travelling in NHC I think its better to take Mumbai-delhi route.
few hours of bad roads on each day will spoil your journey.
Bolero will take all these bad roads without any fuss, NHC may not.
Just looking at the itenary of Bhopal route is already making me tired ( quoting Ravveendra, who is travelling to Arunachal Pradesh from Hyderabad) and going via. Mumbai seems to be that i will be on the road most of the time of my 15-day trip which i dont want.

Looking at Milecrunchers 51-hours total travel time. I will factor in some more hours for my travel as i will probably going a lot less slower.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the process of hotel booking for this trip. Guys, someone help me with hotels in Tirthan Valley with contact info? no website seems to list any hotels in this area.

Also, in Narkhanda, is Hotel Hatu the only hotel? no other options?
Old 1st December 2009, 20:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the process of hotel booking for this trip. Guys, someone help me with hotels in Tirthan Valley with contact info? no website seems to list any hotels in this area.

Also, in Narkhanda, is Hotel Hatu the only hotel? no other options?
Way to go Avi! I feared that you would cancel this vacation of yours. Try the state tourism corporations (google) another method is to use the map sites and then zoom in to the town to look for Hotels, same can be done with Google earth. Best of course is to PM the TBHPians who have been there. The travelogue section gives the best leads.

Cheers,
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:50   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Way to go Avi! I feared that you would cancel this vacation of yours. Try the state tourism corporations (google) another method is to use the map sites and then zoom in to the town to look for Hotels, same can be done with Google earth. Best of course is to PM the TBHPians who have been there. The travelogue section gives the best leads.

Cheers,
Thanks Ravvs, when i set my mind on something, i do that irrespective of repercussions

I agree with you TBHPian are the best and fastest source that you can rely. IMO, sometimes they are faster than a google search..LOL

Also for travel related and hotel booking related info, BCMtouring.com is a great source ( Do check it out)

There is a major change to my plan. My dream of driving to Himachal will remain a dream until some more time as my cousin drop out of the plan as he has important official travel during the same period which he cannot skip.

I would have loved to go ahead in my car but now the equation didnt look so good with me spending 4-5 days just on the road which i rather spend in the beautiful locales of Himachal.

So i took an instant decision yesterday :-

Dec 19th : Booked a 9:00AM flight to Delhi

Dec 20th : Booked a Cab ( Indica/Swift D) and will leave at 8:00AM and reach Shimla by 4:00pm

Dec 21th, Dec 22nd, Dec 23rd : Shimla, Kufri, Naldhera

Tanveer, can you suggest any other place to visit near by to Shimla during these 3 days in Shimla?

Dec 24th : Vacate Shimla and head to Narkhanda and spend the night in Hotel Hatu

Dec 25th: Vacate Narkhanda and head towards Tirthan Valley. Here i am stuck, unable to find a hotel till now

Dec 26th: Leave Tirthan Valley and reach Manali.

Dec 27th, Dec 28th, Dec 29th : Visit Rohtang Pass, Solang Valley

Apart from this, is there any other good places to visit from Manali?

Dec 30th: Leave Manali in the morning and reach Delhi late in the night

Plan to visit Amritsar/Haridwar if possible before catching an early morning flight back to Hyderabad on Jan 4th

My hotel bookings in Shimla, Manali and Narkhanda is confirmed.

Though i am disheartened that my original plan has not materialized but i am happy that atleast i will get to put up my feet and absorb the beauty of Himachal during this much deserved vacation.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread. It'll help if someone can point me to a hotel in tirthan valley as that is the only missing link.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dec 20th : Booked a Cab ( Indica/Swift D) and will leave at 8:00AM and reach Shimla by 4:00pm
Sorry to hear that you are not driving down. But atleast you are going. Is this on a self - drive? Check our Hertz. They have amazing packages for weekly self drive rentals.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Avi, why don't you drive down to Tawang with the other group? That would be more fun for sure.
You've already been to HP, so why make another trip to the same place?
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:39   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Avi, why don't you drive down to Tawang with the other group? That would be more fun for sure.
You've already been to HP, so why make another trip to the same place?
Well, as you know my wife is from Delhi and she takes every single opportunity in a year ( actually there are atleast 3-4) to visit her parents and i was thoroughly coaxed by her that Himachal is more beautiful than Arunachal

Jokes apart, i personally like Himachal and you can never get enough of its beauty.

Most Viewed