Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyderabad-Uttranchal-Himachal-Delhi-Hyderabad (5000kms Road Trip)

I am contemplating a plan to drive up North between dates ( Dec 19th-Jan 3rd). Need to reach back Hyderabad by Jan 3rd night !

We plan to start from Hyderabad on Dec 19th at 5:00AM and need to spend 2 days at my in-laws in Delhi and 2 days at my cousin's in-laws in Meerut.

Can someone please advise of destinations that we can visit close by from Delhi/Meerut factoring in following points :-

1. Would love to visit cold places and don't want to spend more than 1-2 days at each destination

2. Kindly factor in 2 nights each at Delhi and Meerut and 3 nights of driving from Hyderabad-Delhi-Hyderabad. So we have effectively 8-9 days for visiting these places

3. Would like to explore some unknown/not previously visited terrain. I have visited Kullu/Manali,Shimla and Rohtang before. And, honestly, i wouldnt mind exploring the same again since this time it would be different as it would be self-driven. Previous visits were by cab.

4. Would prefer if all destinations are close-by so we can hop from one destination to another and spend a day or two there and move on to next one.

5. I love Himachal Pradesh and never explored Uttranchal/U.P that much. Wouldn't mind exploring non-touristy places as long as they are scenic

Thanks to Tanveer, i got some preliminary information and open to changes based on recommendations

It would also help with route info/places to stay for the drive between Hyderabad to Meerut

This is what the initial plan looks like :-

Hyderabad-Meerut(1507kms)-Nanital(235kms)-Mukteshwar(36kms)-Auli-(200kms)-Narkanda (????)-Tirthan Valley (????)-

Can someone add elaborate the route plan with suggestions on which destinations can be covered in above circuit, places to halt, places that can be given a miss etc.

Appreciate and thank you for your responses in advance
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone give some pointers?
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

I suggest stick to a himachal only circuit, or Uttarachanchal only circuit.
I have little idea about Uttrakhand(UK) but if have 8 days, it can be like this
1. Meerut - Narkanda (12 hours)
2. Narkanda and Hatu peak etc.,
3. Narkanda - Tirthan valley (Via Jalori pass if its open(4-5 hours), otherwise via the plains route(6-7 hours)
4. Tirthan valley
5 Tirthan Valley
6. Go to Manali
7 Manali and Around
8 Manali and around
9 Back to Meerut(14 hours)

This circuit gives you good chance of snow. In December, Jalori pass may close if there is "heavy" snowfall, otherwise it stays mostly open.
Winter is also off season in Tirthan valley, and you can stay at any of the nice resorts for 600-700/night, or stay in FRH/PWD for 300-500rs approx

As for Uttrakhand, I have heard about a place called Munsiyari
Munsiyari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its in East UK, and you can make this part of Nainital circuit. Basically stay 2 nights in nainital, and head towards East Uttaranchal.
You can also do Almora/Binsar as a part of this circuit

Now I do not know much about this area, but what could be doable is
1. Meerut - Ranikhet
2. Ranikhet Kasauni
3. Kasauni
4. Kasauni Nainital
5. Nainital - zoo visit etc,
6. Nainital Binsar(3 hour drive only)
7.. Binsar Munsiyari
8. Munsiyari
9. Back to Meerut

If you want to get a feel of the places

Narkanda - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-paradise.html (Narkanda... Paradise!!)
Ranikhet Kasauni - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ms-3-days.html (Ranikhet and Kausani, 1000kms 3 days!)
Binsar Nainital - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...eekend-uk.html (A crazy crazy weekend... to UK)
Nainital - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-nainital.html (Long weekend at Nainital)
Kinnaur (Alternate to Tirthan circuit) - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-remember.html (Nightmares and Dreamscapes: A Trip to remember)
Manali - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...nnes-snow.html (Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow)
Tirthan - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...s-tirthan.html (And quiet flows the Tirthan....)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd November 2009 at 13:45.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a bunch for your feedback Tanveer.

Now based on your experience which is the best circuit between Himachal & Uttarkhand?

I am keen they should be scenic and very cold/ chances of seeing snow. I am kind of tilting towards Himachal, but would still like to know your view.

I'll use the info that you gave below and create a Plan A and Plan B shortly and post it back here.

You have already shared details on Tirthan valley. Can you also share some info, if you know of any places to stay in Narkhanda and Manali?
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you want snow, then himachal is the best bet. Rohtang and Marhi areas will 100% have snow that time.
In Uttaranchal, it depends if a western disturbance hits the area during that time.
We prefer himachal to uttaranchal because it feels safer and more "comfortable".

In Narkanda, stay at HPTDC, they are the best.
As for manali, you can stay at HPTDC properties, or try out the smaller hotels near palchan(if you want to stay away from city)
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:33   #6
BHPian

Whoa, Avi, big trip there. For the Hyd-Delhi section, you can check this thread (started by, LOL, you!!!): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ad-trip-3.html
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for digging that out Anurag. That will be a great help for my trip until Delhi/Meerut
Old 4th November 2009, 14:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, using some prelim information from Tanveer and also by using the thread that Anurag dug up ( which was incidentally started by me way back) where i chose a route from Hyderabad to Delhi outlined by HV Kumar.

Need some help from gents who did this route to cut down on number of kilometers and also recent updates on road conditions and any other suggestions that you can share, it would be really helpful.

Please review below rough draft plan and suggest with your opinions and i will keep fine tuning it till it takes a complete shape.

Help required on following items

a) Hotel info with contact numbers if possible
b) Road conditions of below outlined route
c) Shorter and faster route if available
d) Tips and Tricks...LOL
e) Any other sundry issues/recommendations

Thanks to all in advance for your contribution

Day 1 (Hyderabad-Meerut Driving)
Hyderabad-Adilabad (320 Kms)-Nagpur (190 kms)-Seoni (135kms), Total: 645 kms

Day 2 (Hyderabad-Meerut Driving)
Laknadon (60kms)-Narsingpur (75kms)-Sagar (140kms)-Lalitput (110kms)-Jhansi (95kms) - Gwalior (120kms)-Agra (115kms)-Meerut (267 kms), Total: 982 kms

Day 1 (Dec 19th)
Start at 5:00AM from Hyderabad and drive until Seoni which is approximately 700kms which we hope to reach by 8:00PM and halt there for night.

Is Seoni a good place to halt for the night with decent staying options?

Day 2 (Dec 20th)
Start at 5:30AM from Seoni and reach Meerut which is approximately 980 kms by 10:00PM. Is this doable with 2 drivers? I doubt as it seems tough to cover so much distance in a single day. Is there other shorter options? Have to reach by nightfall to Meerut somehow.

Need some help on places to halt, decent place to have lunch, anything we should be careful about?

Day 3 (Dec 21st)
Spend the night at Meerut

Day 4 (Dec 22nd)
Leave at 7:00AM for Narkhanda in Himachal Pradesh, as it takes 12 hours should reach there by 7:00PM. Spend the night at Narkanda

Day 5 (Dec 23rd)
Leave at 9:00AM and visit Hatu Peak. How far is it from Narkhanda? Can we visit Hatu Peak and return to Narkhanda by evening? If yes, return and spend this night as well in Narkhanda

Day 6 (Dec 24th)
Vacate hotel in Narkhanda and leave at 9:00AM and reach Tirthan Valley by 5:00PM.

Day 7 (Dec 25th)
Spend the day/night in Tirthan Valley

Day 8 (Dec 26th)
Vacate Hotel in Tirthan Valley at 9:00PM and drive to Manali which is 100kms away. Reach Manali at 1:00PM and spend the day visiting local sight seeing

Day 9 (Dec 27th)
Visit Manikaran which is 160kms to and fro to visit the temple with miracle hot springs

Day 10 (Dec 28th)
Visit Rohtang to catch some snow which is 120kms to and fro

Day 11 (Dec 29th)
Suggestions to visit places on this day. Does it make sense to drive to Shimla on this day which is 280kms from Manali?

Day 12 (Dec 30th)
Suggestions to visit places on this day

Day 13 (Dec 31st)
Vacate hotel in Manali at 7:00AM and drive to Delhi which is 550kms.

Reach Delhi by 6:00PM

Spend New Year’s Eve with In-Laws

Day 14 (Jan 1st)
Spend the day in Delhi

Day 15 (Jan 2nd)
Leave at 6:00AM and drive until Seoni and halt for the night

Day 16 (Jan 3rd)
Leave Seoni at 5:00AM and reach Hyderabad 9:00PM
Old 4th November 2009, 14:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Info as requested.
Hatu peak is a few kms from Narkanda, and if you leave in morning, you can be done before lunch(much before lunch actually)

From Tirthan no point going to Manali first.
Do this
Tirthan - Leave hotel by 9am and reach Manikaran, spend night there
Next day noon leave for manali
Next day visit Rohtang pass, snow etc,. solang valley, and river stuff
And then return to Delhi.
Old 4th November 2009, 14:24   #10
BHPian

Just one suggestion on route, you can take, Nagpur->Itarsi->Bhopal->Gawalior route rather than Seoni - Jansi, its better and will be faster. I think MileCruncher also took this route while going to Himalaya in September from Hydrabad.
-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 4th November 2009 at 14:30.
Old 4th November 2009, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure you want to break your suspension in the Laknadon-Sagar-Jhansi road?
Why not simply take the Nagpur-Bhopal-Gwalior route which has pretty good roads and ,may be faster too despite the longer distance?

Seoni is a small town, but there are some hotels. Check out whether MPTDC has any hotels in that area (other than in Pench and Kanha)?

If you take the Bhopal route, you can spend the night in MPTDC's resort at Bhimbetka - the same place which MileCruncher stayed when he drove to Ladakh - check out his thread for details.

If you take the Sagar route, you can halt at Jhansi for lunch - Hotel Sita is a good place.

Please recheck the distance from Agra to Meerut - I suppose this is via Hathras/Aligarh. For that kind of distance, maybe it is a better idea to go via Delhi!

Don't know what route you are planning to go to Narkhanda, but why not try the Chakrata route, although I am unsure if it will be blocked by snowfall.

Driving to Narkanda in 12 hours looks tough to me.

Better to cover Shimla on the onward journey, instead of coming back from Manali on return.

Jalori Jot may also be snow-blockaded in December in case you are planning the Sainj-Jalori Jot-Aut route to Manali.

You want an exciting route to return to Hyderabad - why not try the Bombay route like what MC did - longer but very exciting and different!

Another interesting choice would be to do Gwalior-Jhansi-Kajuraho-Katni-Jabalpur-Laknadon-Seoni-Nagpur. Road is good, plus you ca spent a day in Kajuraho too.
Old 4th November 2009, 15:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Info as requested.
Hatu peak is a few kms from Narkanda, and if you leave in morning, you can be done before lunch(much before lunch actually)

From Tirthan no point going to Manali first.
Do this
Tirthan - Leave hotel by 9am and reach Manikaran, spend night there
Next day noon leave for manali
Next day visit Rohtang pass, snow etc,. solang valley, and river stuff
And then return to Delhi.
That's a good suggestion because i was not aware that Manikaran will fall enroute from Narkhanda to Manali. Can you share info about distance from :-

Narkhanda-Manikaran?

When i went to Manikaran last time, it seemed quite a small place, didnt even think i noticed any hotels to stay there. Are there staying options here?

Manikaran-Manali? ( I know it's 80kms but is there any other route?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Just one suggestion on route, you can take, Nagpur->Itarsi->Bhopal->Gawalior route rather than Seoni - Jansi, its better and will be faster. I think MileCruncher also took this route while going to Himalaya in September from Hydrabad.
-Pramod
Thanks Pramod, i will take this route if roads are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Are you sure you want to break your suspension in the Laknadon-Sagar-Jhansi road?
Sirji, i picked this route since you outlined the same in that other old thread. But, i can imagine it was about 2 years ago.

Quote:

Why not simply take the Nagpur-Bhopal-Gwalior route which has pretty good roads and ,may be faster too despite the longer distance?
Ok, will take this route since i am completely unaware of this section as this going to be my first drive up north.

Quote:
Please recheck the distance from Agra to Meerut - I suppose this is via Hathras/Aligarh. For that kind of distance, maybe it is a better idea to go via Delhi!
I saw this distance on a distance calculator when searched on google. Let me look this up again.

Quote:
Don't know what route you are planning to go to Narkhanda, but why not try the Chakrata route, although I am unsure if it will be blocked by snowfall.

Driving to Narkanda in 12 hours looks tough to me.
No clue about route from Meerut-Narkhanda. Can you help with a short, decent route?

Why do you say 12 hours is tough? I read somewhere on the internet it takes 12 hours, so i assumed the same. Inputs please

Quote:
Better to cover Shimla on the onward journey, instead of coming back from Manali on return.
If i decide to go from Manali to Shimla, i would most positively use the logical return route to Delhi. Which is directly from Shimla.

I was just enquiring if it makes sense to visit Shimla from Manali which is 280kms or will it be too hectic?

Quote:
Jalori Jot may also be snow-blockaded in December in case you are planning the Sainj-Jalori Jot-Aut route to Manali.
No Idea about this route. But, thanks, I will make a note of this point.

Quote:
You want an exciting route to return to Hyderabad - why not try the Bombay route like what MC did - longer but very exciting and different!

Another interesting choice would be to do Gwalior-Jhansi-Kajuraho-Katni-Jabalpur-Laknadon-Seoni-Nagpur. Road is good, plus you ca spent a day in Kajuraho too.
Sounds very interesting. This will depend on how much time we have on hand. Since have to report back to work on Jan 4th morning
Old 4th November 2009, 15:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Narkanda is an easy 10 hours run from Delhi if you start early morning.
Meerut to Kondli(Delhi border) is 2 hours, and from Delhi border narkanda takes 9 hours or so early morning, thats why I said 12 hours to Narkanda is easy from Meerut.

If Jalori Jot is closed, then there is another interior route via Shimla Bilaspur road, and Tirthan will be around 8-9 hours from Narkanda via that route.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone outline the distance between these :-

Nagpur->Itarsi->Bhopal->Gawalior
Old 4th November 2009, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can someone outline the distance between these :-

Nagpur->Itarsi->Bhopal->Gawalior
Nagpur-Bhopal 350 kms-Biaora 115-Guna 100-Shivpuri 100-Gwalior 115

Most Viewed