Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 12:31   #1

How to plan Kerla trip from Delhi

Hi All,

This would be my first trip to Kerla, I have never been to south of India(though lot of travelling experience towards north).

I need your guidence who have already been to Kerla many time or even one time.
I need to know how should I plan my trip(I can give it 7 days).
Following are my questions :
1. Medium of transportation(I am thinking to travel by train, Which all train goes directly from delhi to Kerala or to near by station) ?
2. How should I divide 7 days so that I can enjoy all the time in kerla.
3. Which all places should I visit(pls. do not suggest places which are quite far(I want to spend about a day in Water boat, also want to go to Kovallam beach, is it too far from where we do the water boating, Whar are other near by places from where we do the water boat) ?
4. Do you have to bargain for every little thing in Kerla(what is the trend there) ? So that We are already prepared as to how to deal with those people ?
5. What would be the roughly cost of 7 days trip(for a couple or for 4 people)

Regards,
Mahen
Old 4th November 2009, 12:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

The train trip to Kerala will itself take 4-5 days to and fro, even if you take teh fastest Rajdhani Express. You can take the train direct to Ernakulam (Kochi) or TRivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram).

Assuming that you have 7 days of touring at your disposal (excluding the train journey), I would spent it as follows:
- 1 day in Kochi
- 2 days in Munnar
- 1 day in Thekkady
- 1 day in Kumarakom/Alapuzha
- Balance 1 day in travelling

Kovalam is further South (near Trivandrum), you will not be able to cover it in this short duration trip.

The peak tourist season has started in Kerala and will stretch upto June now. Precious little bargaining you can do this season, since Kerala normally gets flooded with foreign and domestic tourists. Generally, hotels are more expensive than rest of India, especially the ones in most-visited places like Kumarakom and Munnar. However, if you shop around in the internet you will get lots of choice of hotels. The KTDC (Govt-run) hotels are normally more expensive than the budget private ones.

Having reached Kochi, you should hire a taxi (upto Rs 12 per km for a Innova), for the duration of your tour, since it will be difficult for you to use public transport, especially since most of the places you will cover are within 50-100 kms. Each of the palces mentioned are 1-4 hours road journeys.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:04   #3

I agree with hvkumar that a train journey will take 3-4 days or more (to-and fro), best would be a flight from Delhi to Kerala. Check out in Makemytrip.com. Boating and beaches are further down south so will be a challenge fo you if you come by train.
Water boats (if you want to stay over night) will cost you min Rs 7500/- for 2 people with maybe a meal skipped. Good ones (I have not tried, coz they are expensive) will cost you as high as 15,000 to 20,000/- for 2 people.

One place hvkumar have not mentioned and I would recommend is WAYANAD district. That's a hilly and forest area with lots of opportunity for trekking. Infact on a personal front I prefer Wayanad (vythiri/Kalpetta town limits) than Munnar.

Transport cost as provided by hvkumar must be true (I have no idea) as whenever I travelled to Kerala from Bangalore, I used my own transport.

Most Viewed