Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 14:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
@josepeter, i thought you loved your Bolero!

-- Torqy
Not much of a choice after you buy it, do you? That said, for the kind of roads on these pictures, nothing but a Bolero. You can whack that guy (read bolero) without a whimper.

I still cant get over the front end of your beaut Jose. Have to do that to my Scorp soon.

I have to say this thread is Jo-some! (awesome)
Old 4th February 2010, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Not much of a choice after you buy it, do you? That said, for the kind of roads on these pictures, nothing but a Bolero. You can whack that guy (read bolero) without a whimper.

I still cant get over the front end of your beaut Jose. Have to do that to my Scorp soon.

Yeah, it depends. I fell in love with it when i drove my friend's Bolero. The amazing Bangalore roads also helped the decision.

I love that "josepeter" grill. My only worry is it may not be as strong a protection for the radiator as the current rabbit teeth.

-- Torqy
Old 4th February 2010, 17:04   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Boy. You should have turned off at Hubli and taken NH63 to Ankola and then proceeded to Goa via Karwar through NH17. The other road looks terrible.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Offtopic, with no intention to derail the thread.

@RedLiner, KITUP of Coimbatore has the stuff for you.
Check them out.

http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Scor...oiler-1of2.jpg
http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Scor...riors-1of5.jpg

-- Torqy
Old 4th February 2010, 23:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Offtopic, with no intention to derail the thread.

@RedLiner, KITUP of Coimbatore has the stuff for you.
Check them out.

http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Scor...oiler-1of2.jpg
http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Scor...riors-1of5.jpg

-- Torqy
They sure look great! Must cost an arm and a leg? 10K types?

Quote:
Yeah, it depends. I fell in love with it when i drove my friend's Bolero. The amazing Bangalore roads also helped the decision.

I love that "josepeter" grill. My only worry is it may not be as strong a protection for the radiator as the current rabbit teeth.

-- Torqy
No worries mate! There is always the condenser to protect the radiator!

Quote:

Thanks a ton Mate! And you are quite funny!

If I have to buy a new car, I will most probably buy one more - a STORM and follow-up with (almost) the very same mod as on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Boy. You should have turned off at Hubli and taken NH63 to Ankola and then proceeded to Goa via Karwar through NH17. The other road looks terrible.
True! MX6 - This I found on the way back, coming soon on this thread!
Old 5th February 2010, 00:52   #21
BHPian

20th Dec SUNDAY

We woke up to a bright new day and took in the calm and peace that tropicano beach resort offered.

Now! don't conjure up images of a cottage on the beachside with swaying palms and soft white sand; well you can't ever see a beach from here.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-tropicano1.jpg

But what it is, is a very clean, cozy and peaceful lodge with around 15 double rooms, each with its own veranda. The people are nice and mind their own business. This place is pretty cheap too, unless you are booked in on New years eve or Christmas when the rates are like X5.
Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-tropicano2.jpg

Rear View>

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-tropicano3.jpg

There was this swiss couple in the adjacent room; they were in to stay here ( in Tropicano) for 8 weeks! It's that kind of place!

They were also taking care of a lovely cocker spaniel that someone apparently abandoned!

Look at this lovely>
Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-cocker.jpg

Since it was Sunday; we thought of hitting church - for a change.

We proceeded from Candolim to Old Goa to pay a visit to the World heritage site that is the Bom Jesus Church; it was the first time for wifey in Goa and she was quite excited! We were told that dark tints were a strict no no in Goa, so decided to spend the day with windows rolled down.

Old Goa is quite beautiful in a rustic way and reminded us of Fortcochin and Pondichery.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-og1.jpg

The roads in Old Goa are narrow but are very well paved, nice and twisty.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-og2.jpg

We first went in to see the St. Francis of Assissi church; this one was some 250 years old and quite fabulous.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-assisi1.jpg

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-assisi2.jpg

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-assisi3.jpg

Adjacent to this is the Bom Jesus Church; this is quite posh on the inside with an alter made of gold.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-bj1.jpg

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-bj2.jpg

With the check in the box items done and dusted; it was infraction time. We turned back to Panjim and finally landed up in Miramar where we had a wonderful lunch in a sea side restaurant and then returned to tropicano for a nap.

That evening I took a walk outside and literally stumbled upon this wonderful beach that was just 100 metres away from the resort; the beach was just so clean and my spirits soared instantly. I haven't seen such a nice beach in our country; Candolim probably is the best beach we have. There were plenty of very large shacks on the beach. The sand near the shoreline gave a feeling like you were walking on milk powder. The water was a clear blue, Phew! I just had to go back to wake up everyone and tell them.

We had our most wonderful time in Goa that evening! We were the first customers that evening in a shack; and the last ones to leave. My kids slept peacefully on the hammocks after their share of grub. The music was awesome and atmosphere was just so chilled out! This I guess is heaven! We did make that inevitable oath to be there every year! I just hope it comes true!
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 08:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking exactly the same while reading the travelogue. That is when I saw this comment.

The best way to go to Goa is either BLR -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa or via Yellapore or Sirsi on to NH17

But in both ways the current problem is that the Kali Bridge at Karwar is closed for maintainence. It should be opening any time now. So you will need to do a roundabout of 70KM from via Kadra/Kaiga.

But still looks like it was some fun (though at points on the other end of the spectrum with hardly anything left in the tank )

Last edited by ampere : 5th February 2010 at 08:59.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good going Jose & good lessons that I've learned too , keep the travelogue coming
Old 5th February 2010, 12:17   #24
BANNED

Oye yaar, why is this in travel/route queries. Sounds like a Travelogue to me. Unless you are lost and will ask for directions later.

I know how to report a post how do I report a Thread. FAQ time.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best way to go to Goa is either BLR -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa Yes this is my favorite too. or via Yellapore or Sirsi on to NH17

But in both ways the current problem is that the Kali Bridge at Karwar is closed for maintainence. No this opened on 17 Jan
My comments in bold. driving goa b'lore on 14. too bad that the ranebennur bypass isnt opened as yet. It looked almost complete last time i went thru in Dec 09.
Old 5th February 2010, 13:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oye yaar, why is this in travel/route queries. Sounds like a Travelogue to me. Unless you are lost and will ask for directions later.

I know how to report a post how do I report a Thread. FAQ time.

Thanks Mate!

MODS - Please move this thread to travelogue forum.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:16   #27
BHPian

21st Dec MONDAY

We hit the beach first thing on monday morning; it was all pristine waiting for the day's Sunbathers. Candolim does not have the usual day tripper crowd; probably because there is no road that ends at the beach, it is more or less secluded and requires a fair amount of walking. You would be hard pressed to find many Indian tourists here.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-beach1.jpg

Jeremy made good use of his time on the beach, while trying to build his version of a sand castle.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-jeremyonthebeach.jpg

After a dip and breakfast at Tropicano we decided to go beach hopping to Calangute, Anjuna and Vagatoor.

We did try out Parasailing in Calangute. I was quite excited at getting tugged on a parachute by a speedboat and had expected quite a scary feeling; similar to the dizzy experience I had had on my first time on a giant-wheel. But it was nothing but; the experience was quite pleasant. This guy operating the speedboat informed that the winds were too dangerous to attempt a dip; this is stunt where the parasailer will be dropped rapidly very close to the water so that his feet skims the surface followed by a rapid ascent. So we had to give "the dip" a miss. Nevertheless it was a satisfying experience.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-parasailing1.jpg

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-parasailing2.jpg

We also went for the jetski, which was quite disappointing. You don't get to ride alone, an instructor basically rests on your back and leans on the handlebars. It was more of a wresting match, while I wanted to experience the G forces by rapid left and right manoeuvrings; this instructor guy wanted to drag in a straight line. Money wasted! I will never again ride a Jetski with an instructor on board.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-jetski.jpg

We hired an FZ16 from calangute to move around till the end of the day; it was quite nice to be on two wheels in the evening. Since we were plannning to leave to Bangalore on the next day we ended up buying kilos of cashew nuts. They are of superb quality and quite cheap, kind of the ideal gift for people back home.

22nd Dec TUESDAY

We packed our bags and set out for Bangalore; careful to take the more recommended route via Ankola.

The route we planned to follow was Panjim-Margao-Karwar-Ankola-Agsur-Ramanguli-Yellapur-Kalghati-Hubli and back onto GQ.

Goa to Ankola would be on NH17 and Ankola to Hubli on NH63.

These were good roads mostly; NH63 road has many interesting curves but truck traffic was huge. Needless to say the route will be the preferred one for future trips.

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-trucks1.jpg

SCOOP : Babaj testing its new m80 temple; this one will be a hit, the sportiff mags on them - Super!

Taj Connemara to Taj Mahal : West India Roadtrip-m80temple.jpg

The route map for the whole trip with milestones:

Name:  routemap.JPG
Views: 4986
Size:  48.8 KB

A- Chennai
B- Krishnagiri
C- Bangalore
D- Dharwad
E- Alnawar
F- Khanapur
G- Goa border
H- Candolim
I- Ankola
J- Hubli

Rest of the journey to Bangalore and then onto Cochin was rather smooth; I will just bore you to death if not already! Adios!
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2010, 14:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Death by boredom is better than being left out high and dry. Let the photos do their trick, just keep them coming all the way back to Madras.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:15   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That photo of the colourful parasol on the vast expanse of blue looks awesome.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
That photo of the colourful parasol on the vast expanse of blue looks awesome.
Yes, I do agree, love this picture.

Complete the rest dude, its very nice!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks