Team-BHP - Maharashtra Itenary
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Maharashtra Itenary (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/69712-maharashtra-itenary.html)

Hi Guys! New Year is coming and my mind has started freaking me out to plan some trip around that time. Last year I had a rocking drive to Goa, and this year too planning some loing drive.
I'm planning to visit Maharashtra this time, around Pune maybe, not sure actually! Please suggest some itenary for this trip. I'll have 5-6 days at my disposal for this trip.
Waiting for your suggestions!please:

Beaches - Kihim, Alibag, Kashid, Murud, Harihareshwar, Harnai-Guhagar, Ganapatipule, Tarkarli

Forts - Raigad, Panhala

Hill Stations - Mahabaleswar, Matheran, Lavasa

Pilgrimmages - Shirdi, Kolhapur, Pandharpur, Ganapatipule, the entire Asta Vinayak circuit

If you want to be around Pune, why not a Pune-Matheran-Alibag-Pune circuit?

Book in advance - NY is a bust season at all these places.

Hi,

To add to the pilgrimage places, there are three famous ones called Trayambakeshwar near Nasik and Bhima Shankar and Ellora not too far from Pune. There is a place called Chaphal as well which is related to Samarth Ramdas, the Guru of Shivaji Maharaj. This might be the only old place where the temple is dedicated to Sri Ram in this part of the country

Cheers

If you like sea food and the sea, this is the best weather of the year ( the odd cyclone excepted!) to visit the konkan, with a reduction of the usual humidity that can be a spoiler at other times. Value for money, very scenic, some very good homestays to allow you to stick to a budget or stay longer. The food scene is great for vegetarians as well. And you can choose between fast NHs and scenic backroads, based on your needs and tastes. The worst part of the drive would be Blr to Hubli, enroute to Belgaum/Nipani for the ghat descent.

Depends what you are looking for:
Hills: Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani ( Will require advance reservations. Matheran is a beautiful & unique hill station with no motor vehicles but you need advance reservations in December, totally inadvisable for asthamatics, and getting there needs a lot of travel time)
History: Ellora and Ajanta Caves near Aurangabad
Beaches: All along the Konkan coast
Nightlife, Restaurants, Theatre, Art Galleries: Mumbai

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1590105)
If you want to be around Pune, why not a Pune-Matheran-Alibag-Pune circuit?

Matheran I think doesn't allow vehicles inside the town, so any idea about where to leave/park own vehicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1590168)
If you like sea food and the sea, this is the best weather of the year ( the odd cyclone excepted!) to visit the konkan, with a reduction of the usual humidity that can be a spoiler at other times. Value for money, very scenic, some very good homestays to allow you to stick to a budget or stay longer. The food scene is great for vegetarians as well. And you can choose between fast NHs and scenic backroads, based on your needs and tastes. The worst part of the drive would be Blr to Hubli, enroute to Belgaum/Nipani for the ghat descent.

Can you please recommend some homestays along the Konkan, or some website where I can get the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asethi (Post 1592209)
Matheran I think doesn't allow vehicles inside the town, so any idea about where to leave/park own vehicle?

You can drive upto the top of the Matheran Hills to a point called Dasturi Naka, which is 2 kms short of the bazaar and main Matheran town. Dasturi Naka is 11 kms from the foothills, a place called Neral, which is accessible from NH4 on the Khopoli-Panvel road. The ghat road is excellent. Dasturi Naka has a car parking lot (and a MTDC resort), and from there, you will have to walk, take a horse or go by hand-pulled rickshaw, or better still, take the hill train coming from Karjat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asethi (Post 1592209)
Can you please recommend some homestays along the Konkan, or some website where I can get the info.

please ref MAHARASHTRA TOURISM, The Official Website of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation, Govt. of India.

you will get all info.

Is it possible to do Bangalore - Pune in a single day? I mean max I've done is Bangalore - Kollam (approx 650 kms) at a stretch in almost 14-15 hrs considering slow pace in Kerala.
So what you guys suggest, do it in a single shot or take a break in between?

I routinely do Bombay-Pune-Bangalore in 12 hours. This is an extraordinarily fast road not comparable with the slow Kerala roads.

hi Ankush,

Considering the fact you are not a regular on this circuit, I'll do a bit of a calculation for you. Bangalore to Belgaum is a 515 kms stretch and you could do that in 8 hours. This is taking into account some rough sections on the way and the fact that you may be doing it first time and don't know the track like the back of your hand. Belgaum to Kolhapur will take max 1.5 hours and Kolhapur to Pune will take 3.5 hours. So, in my reckoning it would take you maximmum 14 hours allowing for breaks and a leisurely pace to do the entire Bangalore to Pune leg. Hope that helps you decide one way or the other

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1596755)
I routinely do Bombay-Pune-Bangalore in 12 hours. This is an extraordinarily fast road not comparable with the slow Kerala roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akadian (Post 1597008)
hi Ankush,

Considering the fact you are not a regular on this circuit, I'll do a bit of a calculation for you. Bangalore to Belgaum is a 515 kms stretch and you could do that in 8 hours. This is taking into account some rough sections on the way and the fact that you may be doing it first time and don't know the track like the back of your hand. Belgaum to Kolhapur will take max 1.5 hours and Kolhapur to Pune will take 3.5 hours. So, in my reckoning it would take you maximmum 14 hours allowing for breaks and a leisurely pace to do the entire Bangalore to Pune leg. Hope that helps you decide one way or the other

If that's the case, then it should be great! I've done Hubli-Bangalore in 6.5 hrs while returning from Goa. But still considering that I'll be with my family, so speeds will not be that high, I should be able to make it within 15 hrs.

Guys, any idea about the current condition of NH204 from Ratnagiri to Kolhapur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asethi (Post 1648400)
Guys, any idea about the current condition of NH204 from Ratnagiri to Kolhapur?

This road is in good condition.