Team-BHP - Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/69723-cool-drives-within-150-km-bangalore-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 2920221)
Just drive down to this...

This is on my to-do list for quite some time :) Given my driving temperament, going to this place and coming back the same day would be too hectic so I'd keep it for some other time when I can stay overnight at Hassan/Sakleshpura and do this at leisure. Moreover, I have done the Bangalore-Hassan stretch 6 times in the last 3 months so not too keen on heading that way again...

Thanks anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 2920137)
Guys,

I had plans to drive down to the Cauvery (Galibore, Bheemeshwari, etc) tomorrow (2nd Oct) but given the current situation on the Cauvery dispute, have decided against it. Any other place (~ 100 km from Whitefield) where I can spend some time on the banks of a river?

You may want to try some places around river Arkavathy ? But be aware that there is not much water around.

Chunchi falls /Manchanabele dam or Harobele dam (Kanakpura)

Eventually ended up going to Makalidurga/Ghati Subrahmanya - though we did not get to see a river, we did spent some good time on the Gunjur lake-bed and my little one had nice time walking down the railway tracks and doing some train spotting :) Will post up some pics soon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 2921839)
Eventually ended up going to Makalidurga/Ghati Subrahmanya - though we did not get to see a river, we did spent some good time on the Gunjur lake-bed and my little one had nice time walking down the railway tracks and doing some train spotting :) Will post up some pics soon...

Its a beautiful place. You can catch a brilliant sunrise. Other than Gunjur lake, you can also visit another lake at the other side of the hill.
There is also a resort on that road which you can take a break (Not that great for food. But nevertheless a good place to spend some time)

Here are the locations:

Location of lake

Green Valley Resort

However do note that the approach to this lake from the road is almost like a 4x4 territory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2921876)
Its a beautiful place...

You bet it is - and a great place for birding too...
Quote:

Other than Gunjur lake, you can also visit another lake at the other side of the hill...
There is also a resort on that road which you can take a break...

Thanks - will definitely try these out the next time I am there. I believe one can trek up the hill from Makalidurga/Gunjur side and come down the other side to get to the other lake that you are talking about, right?
Quote:

However do note that the approach to this lake from the road is almost like a 4x4 territory.

That would be fun. Yesterday I did get to engage my Safari's 4x4 while driving on the Gunjur lake-bed to get as close to the water as possible :)

BTW, I could see electrification work in progress on the tracks. Looks like this line will finally get electric engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 2907380)
We have been to Heritage winery recently. They have a wine tourism where they explain the process of making wine. Its about 3-4 kms after Chanyapatnam on MYsore road. The last 1 km is bad with gravels.
They charge Rs. 150 per head, which includes wine tasting.

Have few queries,

Heard somewhere that Kids are not allowed for this tour, is that true?
How long the tour takes
1km bad stretch, is it fine to go with a Sedan

Thanks in adv

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 2922020)
You bet it is - and a great place for birding too...

Thanks - will definitely try these out the next time I am there. I believe one can trek up the hill from Makalidurga/Gunjur side and come down the other side to get to the other lake that you are talking about, right?

Its possible. But to get to the other side, you dont need to climb the hill.
At the base of the hill, where you have the temple, you can walk through back, it cuts through both the hills.

You need to trek up to hit to the top. I have been there a couple of times and its amazing,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1525842

(The lake you see is the on the other side. )

Quote:

That would be fun. Yesterday I did get to engage my Safari's 4x4 while driving on the Gunjur lake-bed to get as close to the water as possible :)
I had taken a Ritz to the Gunjur lake. :D

Quote:

BTW, I could see electrification work in progress on the tracks. Looks like this line will finally get electric engines.
Even I noticed that. I think thats the project for Bangalore-Hindupur electrification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2922070)
I had taken a Ritz to the Gunjur lake

I guess it depends on the season/condition of the lake-bed. Yesterday when we went there, the water had receded (apparently recently) quite a bit and the approach to the edge of the water was all gooey and slushy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2922070)
Even I noticed that. I think thats the project for Bangalore-Hindupur electrification.

Correct - high time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 2922092)
I guess it depends on the season/condition of the lake-bed. Yesterday when we went there, the water had receded (apparently recently) quite a bit and the approach to the edge of the water was all gooey and slushy.

Very true! I never took it close to water. The very fact that I could get it down from the main road to the vicinity of the lake, itself was an achievement for me !
Because I thought the incline was very steep.

Hi bhpians,
My buddies and I have planned a one day trip to Mekedhatu tomorrow. Just wanted to know if we should face any traffic jams on the route if we leave at 7 am. Also are petrol pumps available on the way or would it be advisable to fill within the city limits itself and then start?

What route would you advise to take for a relatively hassle free drive?

Any agitations or any problems on that stretch we should be aware of? Also is the car parking area safe on a weekday?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:- Google maps gives us these 3 routes. Which should be jam free for both morning and evening drive?
1.http://goo.gl/maps/1ZUYn
2.http://goo.gl/maps/346EN
3.http://goo.gl/maps/tlwIW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 2928434)
What route would you advise to take for a relatively hassle free drive?

- Going via NICE from Tumkur road side is too long
- Taking Mysore road and going via Bidadi is also I think not worth it.
- The best would be take Bannergatta road, hop on to NICE and exit at Kanakpura road.

Here is the suggested route
Via Bannergatta Road and NICE road

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere

- The best would be take Bannergatta road, hop on to NICE and exit at Kanakpura road.

Here is the suggested route

Wow thank you for that route suggestion. Will this route be good for the evening too without traffic jams? Are there any traffic jams we should worry about? Is the 4x4 service still available these days? I noticed the jeep in the earlier posts but they were made more than a year back.

Thanks a lot Ampere :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 2928790)
Wow thank you for that route suggestion. Will this route be good for the evening too without traffic jams? Are there any traffic jams we should worry about? Is the 4x4 service still available these days? I noticed the jeep in the earlier posts but they were made more than a year back.

Thanks a lot Ampere :)

On an evening, Bannergatta road will surely have traffic.
May be going via NICE Tmkkur road would easier on the way back.
But there you need to face the traffic at ORR signal and then at Yeshwantpur.

Which is the jeep that you are referring to ? I did not get it. Do you mean that bus on the other side of the river?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere

Which is the jeep that you are referring to ? I did not get it. Do you mean that bus on the other side of the river?

Perhaps I'll take the NICE Tumkur road in the evening then. Which area is this ORR signal you are talking about(will try to avoid this) ? The yeshwantpur jam can be handled if I enter Bangalore at the right time. In fact i was wanting to take the longer route even in the morning but since we are leaving early it won't make much of a difference.

The jeep is the alternative to the bus service from Sangam to mekedatu. I saw it in some posts in this or the other thread. Will have to look again.

On another note, is the place where you parked your cars safe? If its any specific place you chose, do mention it.

Also does Mekedatu have any eateries or are they only in the Kanakpura area?

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parthasarathig (Post 2928817)
Perhaps I'll take the NICE Tumkur road in the evening then. Which area is this ORR signal you are talking about(will try to avoid this) ? The yeshwantpur jam can be handled if I enter Bangalore at the right time. In fact i was wanting to take the longer route even in the morning but since we are leaving early it won't make much of a difference.

I meant this location

Quote:

The jeep is the alternative to the bus service from Sangam to mekedatu. I saw it in some posts in this or the other thread. Will have to look again.
Then I have not been there for long ! I only saw a bus!

Quote:

On another note, is the place where you parked your cars safe? If its any specific place you chose, do mention it.
Thats where most people park. Ensure that you dont any major valuables in the car.
I meant the usual precautions.

Quote:

Also does Mekedatu have any eateries or are they only in the Kanakpura area?
Thanks again.
Kanakpura is a better option for food. There is a Udupi upachar which opens in the morning. Another one called Gokul is good for lunch.
He does not open in the morning times.While coming back if you plan to have lunch and if you are coming via the Sangam road, then you need to turn left (towards Malavalli)
once you hit Kanapura road to go to this hotel. You will see it on your right while driving toward Malavalli.