Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 15:27   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
How old is the kid? This thread has enough info on a plethora of dams around Bangalore which can be visited. If the ask is for a place that will keep a kid engaged, then I think you might be better off considering places like Prani or Bannerghatta zoo/safari. IMHO, Mysore Zoo is much better and worth the drive if you are open to it.
Kid is of 4 year old. Would wish for any water related activities in a place as my kid love playing with water. Also we plan to stay away from home for these 3 days
Old 20th December 2018, 15:37   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Guys,
We family of 3 want to visit places around Bangalore for 3 days which are not hill stations and favorable for kids. How can we plan the places for such occasion?
Thanks very much in advance.
There's Hogenakkal falls that you can check out. Be sure to check if they are allowing folks into the water ahead of your trip. They do close it down when the flow is too strong.

Also, there's another place near Shivsanasamudra falls which is like a lake and the shore is quite shallow and a perfect place for kids to play in the water. I don't recollect the name though. Avoid Shivsanasamudra falls though - no one is allowed to even go near the water.

EDIT:
Talakadu sandy beach near Shivsanasamudra falls.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 20th December 2018 at 15:44.
Old 20th December 2018, 17:27   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Kid is of 4 year old. Would wish for any water related activities in a place as my kid love playing with water. Also we plan to stay away from home for these 3 days
Check into a good "expensive" resort which will automatically restrict customer numbers which has a swimming pool and a lot of nature around it. Every other public place will be jammed with all kinds of people unless you plan to go exploring some unseen and unknown part of Karnataka.

The last time I went to Hogenekkal it looked like the Kumbh Mela! And it was a normal Saturday - no long weekend or anything!

Good luck!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 20:31   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
There's Hogenakkal falls that you can check out. Be sure to check if they are allowing folks into the water ahead of your trip. They do close it down when the flow is too strong.

EDIT:
Talakadu sandy beach near Shivsanasamudra falls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Check into a good "expensive" resort which will automatically restrict customer numbers which has a swimming pool and a lot of nature around it.

Good luck!
Thanks guys. We have been thinking of going to Ooty. Please suggest places which we can visit around Ooty(wildlife safaris also ok) and few staying and fooding options.
Regards.
Old 20th December 2018, 20:52   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys. We have been thinking of going to Ooty. Please suggest places which we can visit around Ooty(wildlife safaris also ok) and few staying and fooding options.
Regards.
Please look at the Ooty threads for the same. There are quite many suggestions in there. This thread is more about what you can do for a day trip in and around Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 20th December 2018 at 21:53.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:21   #396
BHPian

Another Saturday, another quest for a day outing. This time I decided to visit a fort near AP border 'Gummanayaka' fort.
Started from home (near Bellandur) at 11.30 AM. Drove via ORR, Bellary road and proceeded on NH-44 towards Hyd. At Bagepalli crossing, I took the exit on the right-hand side. Soon the town limits ended and I was driving through small villages interspersed with arid hillocks. The roads were narrow but the tarmac was in good condition. Followed google maps all the way to the fort. There is a very small village at the base of the fort. Parked the car in front of a school (school was closed) and proceeded on foot. The fort is not too big and not too glamorous either. Which explains why it is not so popular among day trippers. We had brought packed lunch, which we enjoyed eating sitting under a tree. BTW, there is no decent shop or hotel of any kind at the base of the fort, so one needs to carry food and water. Then roamed around a little bit with my family but it was too hot and sunny, so retreated to AC comfort of the car. Highlight of the visit was we found a green iguana much to my son's delight. A few photos of the visit :

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img20181209wa005801.jpeg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_035901.jpeg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_034101.jpeg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_033401.jpeg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img20181209wa001401.jpeg

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 3rd January 2019 at 14:22.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:49   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to
  • Mavinkere Ranganatha Swamy temple
  • Lakshmi Narayana Temple, Hosaholalu
  • Venugopalaswamy Temple, Kannambadi (KRS Backwaters)
All of the above standalone are just a little over 150 kms from Bangalore but can be covered as a circuit as well.

Yeshwantpur - Nelamangala - CR Patna - SH121 - Mavinkere: excellent roads
Mavinkere - HN Pura - Bherya - Hosaholalu: Mix of very good to good roads with the occasional broken section and patches strewn around
Hosaholalu - Chinakurulu - Beby -Kannambadi: Decent to bad roads. Need to drive patiently
Kannambadi - Pandavapura - Nagamangala: 4L construction is still in progress and hence can be a pain if stuck behind large vehicles. Would still prefer this or Mandya - Huliyurdurga - Magadi anyday vis a vis Mysore road.

Route map: https://goo.gl/maps/okpNeyC7sfG2

Cross posting some pics from my ownership thread:
Lakshmi Narayana Temple, Hosaholalu
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-ln1.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-ln2.jpg

KRS Backwaters - Venugopalaswamy temple
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-lk1.jpg
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-lk2.jpg
Note: Temple is now open only from 11 am to 6 pm
procrj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:22   #398
Senior - BHPian

I ride out to our farms (75km, 85-100km, depending on the route taken) practically every weekend. Keep trying various routes back once in a while. If you want a great ride, and good workout and earthy lunch, do join
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20180804-07.59.491.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20170909-09.17.35.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20181101-09.09.10.jpg  

zenx is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:24   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I ride out to our farms (75km, 85-100km, depending on the route taken) practically every weekend. Keep trying various routes back once in a while. If you want a great ride, and good workout and earthy lunch, do join
Nice snaps! Which route is the first snap from? Looks awesome to drive for an early morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Drove to
Venugopalaswamy Temple, Kannambadi (KRS Backwaters)
All of the above standalone are just a little over 150 kms from Bangalore but can be covered as a circuit as well.
The Venugopal swamy has come up well more as a weekend destination. When we went only cell phones were allowed and no cameras.

Last edited by ampere : 7th January 2019 at 21:26.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 21:34   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps! Which route is the first snap from? Looks awesome to drive for an early morning!
Yes it's brilliant for an early morning ride. Ecity - Attibele - TVS Factory - Denkanikottai - Anchetty - Thagatty.

Alternatively take TVS factory - Thally - Jawalagiri - Hunasanahalli - Thagatty.
Or sometimes even Kanakapura - Kodihalli - Hunasanahalli - Thagatty (very fast ride, this!)

Another farm is Sarjapura - Bagalur - Berigai - Nachikuppam.

The best rides are when I manage to leave by 6:30am! Return is always a pain though, except on Sundays :/
zenx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 12:32   #401
BHPian

Anyone visited Prani recently? I'm thinking of taking my 2 year old kid to Prani this weekend. Their website unfortunately does not have much info about food availability. Do they have food available or do I need to carry my own?
Any other better alternative to Prani considering that the kid is 2 year old?
Old 10th January 2019, 12:56   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Yes it's brilliant for an early morning ride. Ecity - Attibele - TVS Factory - Denkanikottai - Anchetty - Thagatty.

Alternatively take TVS factory - Thally - Jawalagiri - Hunasanahalli - Thagatty.
Or sometimes even Kanakapura - Kodihalli - Hunasanahalli - Thagatty (very fast ride, this!)

Another farm is Sarjapura - Bagalur - Berigai - Nachikuppam.

The best rides are when I manage to leave by 6:30am! Return is always a pain though, except on Sundays :/
Are these your own farms? And what do you mean by hard work, do we have to do some heavy lifting there
Old 1st February 2019, 10:07   #403
BHPian

Folks,

Anyone recently visited Mekedhatu? Any recent snaps with water levels? Planning for a day trip this weekend.

Regards
SE
Old 7th March 2019, 22:49   #404
BHPian

Friends,
I would like to go on a day trip on Sunday, March 10th, with my family; wife and daughters. Given the hot climate now, can you please suggest a nice place to go to. Is this the right time to go for bird watching at Kokkare Bellur? Or is there any other place that would be worth visiting, on a trip? Kindly suggest.

Regards,
Narayan.
Old 9th March 2019, 22:21   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Is this the right time to go for bird watching at Kokkare Bellur?
I guess all one day options around Bangalore will be equally hot, same with Kokkare Bellur since it's past season too.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed