Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:53   #496
BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You were allowed to go from the temple parking entrance down to the lake?
Yes but that particular path was very boggy so didn't risk it. I found another trail through the villages that seemed decent enough.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:27   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A quick question guys - How do you manage the toilet breaks? Particular for the female beings. At the ones at toll booths, petrol pumps or just any hotel like before? Safe enough to get into the hotels? That is the only thing holding me back to get the heck out to some place.
We have exclusively used restrooms at toll booths. Our day trips have been fortunate enough to be on sections with tolls. The advantage with them is that they are not used very frequently, as there is typically an attendant there who expects some payment.

I will have to look at alternatives when travelling on non-toll areas such as Mysore Road.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 21:10   #498
Senior - BHPian

We went to Nandi Hills today but we were told that vehicles with token only will be allowed to go up. We were not aware of this.

Luckily managed to get a good space for enjoying sunshine and nature for couple of hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-nh-2.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-nh-4.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-nh-6.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-nh-8.jpg  

airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 13:38   #499
BHPian

Drove to Manchinabele Dam from my residence in Bellandur early this morning. Very peaceful drive, there were maybe about 10-odd cars and a couple of bikers around.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_20200906_083221.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pano_20200906_085709.jpg  

TejasKinger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 05:47   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
Drove to Manchinabele Dam from my residence in Bellandur early this morning. Very peaceful drive, there were maybe about 10-odd cars and a couple of bikers around.
Its a beautiful frame especially the first one. A very early morning drive here followed a trek to Savandurga is nice weekend plan.
Old 7th September 2020, 12:15   #501
BHPian

We decided to do an impromptu picnic Saturday morning to Vani Vilasa Sagara. Prepared stuff required for picnic like snacks, tea etc. The plan was to leave post lunch at 1:30pm, reach the dam by 5, enjoy sunset and return back.

However, when I started the car, the TPMS threw a warning for front right tyre. Not wanting to take a risk, I headed to Tyre Empire closeby and discovered a puncture. This took some time and finally left home only by 3. Since Vani Vilas would be a stretch with this new start time, took an instant decision to head to Devarayanadurga. I did not want to go through the city and Nelamangala, hence preferred this longer route.

https://goo.gl/maps/NtghMsQtiL2XaVqH6

There was some confusion just after the turn at Kyathsandra since the direct road was closed for some work and had to reroute through a make shift road through a field. GMaps wasn't yet aware of this development hence lost few mins navigating. (Now it has been updated)

The drive through State Reserve Forest was amazing with good roads. Once we reached the point of climb to the betta, they collected an entry fee of Rs.30 and told us that we can't go to the temple but have to just drive up and return back.

The twists were super fun after all these months of being grounded. We reached atop, parked the car and started having our tea time. Just about 15 mins into it, police came and asked us to return back. I told him to allow me to finish my tea. But he was non relenting. We decided to get back and stopped at a view point just after the entry toll collection. We resumed our tea time there with wonderful views of the sunset amidst the dense forest cover.

It started getting dark and hence returned back. This time, took the Nelamangala road, regretted once again as the traffic was ruthless with the toll taking over 15 mins to pass. Reached back home by 9:30pm.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200905-22.12.23.jpeg

Last edited by luvurride : 7th September 2020 at 12:17.
luvurride is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 22:45   #502
BHPian

Decided to do something about my leaves piling up and hence visited Sabbanahalli Lake last week on a weekday (just to beat any rush or crowd).

And I was rewarded with a private view and full access to view
Not a single soul around and we had a great time. Soaked in the serenity and beauty for an hour or so. On top of that the rain gods were in good mood and the journey was also scenic.

Attaching some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200909-22.40.15-1.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200909-22.40.15-2.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200909-22.40.15.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200909-22.40.16-1.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20200909-22.40.16.jpeg  

nitinkbhaskar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:01   #503

The Aiyur forest will be a quaint place to spend some time if someone is not willing to visit multiple places in a single day. The place itself is not yet commercialized. You rarely see any tourists, let alone throngs pouring out of buses.

There is a rest house run by the TN forest department which used to offer overnight stay facility. I last visited the place some time in 2018 and I am not sure if Covid has affected their plans of letting visitors stay. The place did not have any restaurant of its own, but the staff were ready to prepare the dinner provided the visitors carry all the ingredients required. My friends visited the place back in 2018 and were happy with both the location and the food.

The rest house is an entry point to the forest and the narrow tarred road from this point to Bettamugilalam village runs through a fairly unspoiled forest stretch. We were lucky enough to spot an elephant herd in this stretch during our first visit itself. We saw them crossing the road just 500 feet from us. They were crossing to reach a watering hole on the other side of the road.

The route to the forest
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-road.jpg

The forest rest house
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-resthouse.jpg

The elephants reached the shore of the watering hole and can be seen at the far end of the lake
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-elephant-1.jpg

Here they can be seen getting in the water for a drink
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-elephant-water.jpg
trkauditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:10   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkauditya View Post
The Aiyur forest will be a quaint place to spend some time if someone is not willing to visit multiple places in a single day. The place itself is not yet commercialized. You rarely see any tourists, let alone throngs pouring out of buses.
I guess this is road to Bettamugilalam range. Also the lake: Is it Sami Yeri?
Been some time having read about it. Thanks for sharing.

For that now one needs to go to TN and cross state border.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:36   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess this is road to Bettamugilalam range. Also the lake: Is it Sami Yeri?
Been some time having read about it. Thanks for sharing.

For that now one needs to go to TN and cross state border.
Yes. This is the road to Bettamugilalam range.

Google maps tells the lake as 'Bethlamangalam Elephant Water Hole'. Its a 10 minute drive from the rest house on the road to Bettamugilalam.

The lake is highlighted below:
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-lake.jpg

Last edited by trkauditya : 10th September 2020 at 13:55. Reason: Added a screenshot
trkauditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 06:56   #506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkauditya View Post
The lake is highlighted below:
Attachment 2053989
Yes, this water hole is also called Sami Yeri. In the same region you would can also visit the beautiful Panchapalli reservoir.

Cross posting pictures

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2020 at 06:58.
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:29   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend has been insisting on a trip to Kotilingeshwara temple and I was planning to go this weekend. During my earlier drives on the Kolar highway, I have been intrigued by directions to KGF and was thinking of including it in my plan. Is it possible to travel to this mine? Is it worth the drive?

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th September 2020 at 12:37.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:48   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A friend has been insisting on a trip to Kotilingeshwara temple and I was planning to go this weekend. During my earlier drives on the Kolar highway, I have been intrigued by directions to KGF and was thinking of including it in my plan. Is it possible to travel to this mine? Is it worth the drive?
Yes, Kotilingeshwara is a beautiful temple and is supposed to have a crore Shiv Lingas as the name suggests. Well worth visiting!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 13:15   #509
BHPian

Could anyone confirm if Vani Vilas is open for visitors, anyone been there recently?

I am planning to ride out tomorrow.
Old 11th September 2020, 13:28   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Could anyone confirm if Vani Vilas is open for visitors, anyone been there recently?
Many folks have been there during these times. Scroll up for earlier posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks