Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 18:49   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The road up to Bettamugilalam was mainly a biker's road if I remember. I wasn't sure how good it was for a 4-wheeler? Did you climb from Marandahalli? In other words did you go beyond Panchapalli or come back towards Denkanikottai and climbed up from Ayur side? Did you do a full loop?
I ended up driving this road, but in the reverse direction (Rocky Ridge Cafe to Bettamugilalam, and then to Marandahalli) this weekend in my BMW 320d, and oh boy, it turned out to be an adventure! The road is totally broken in many patches, very narrow throughout (we had a couple of tense and troublesome moments where we had to negotiate with a buss driver about how to let him pass or pass him; it was not easy), and not really a car friendly road at all. We ended up driving there because we were on a fun weekend drive, and we did not know the road was that bad. We just wanted to follow a nice loop and ended up driving on that road. By the time we realized the road was so bad, it was too late to return.

However, reaching the Bettamugilalam view point was worth it. We enjoyed the drive and the views regardless of the road conditions. Here is one picture of my car (and that is my friend BHPIan robimahanta's M340i in front of my car - yes he was with me too; and we had one vRS with us too. All three exact wrong cars for this stretch ):
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20211205_112512-2.jpg

The tarmac you see in the above picture could be misleading. This was the only small section of tarmac that was recently fixed and was good. Rest all sections were broken and even narrower than the road you see in the picture above.

Quote:
I have been wanting to up, but am still not clear on roads for 4-wheelers.
One can still drive on it (like we did), but only if they are up for the adventure and ready to take the risk. It is certainly not an easy drive, especially if the cars are low and wide (exactly what we had). If one had a high GC and narrow vehicle (like a Thar), this road would be a lot more fun.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 6th December 2021 at 18:55.
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 17:17   #647
BHPian

Wanted to share a quick update.

Took the linea to a drive from Arekere to Achalu Betta and then onwards to Muthathi River front. The drive was a total disappointment barring the Yadamaranahalli lake.

We could not go up Achalu betta as one of us started feeling motion sickness, so we just parked the car at the village at the foot hills and set off after sometime. Took the village roads instead of the main road that google suggested and that led us to the lake.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20211127_125717.jpg

Spot the Linea.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20211127_131912.jpg

From the lake we proceeded to Muthathi via Sathanur forest. Took a small bio break at the friendly forest guard's checkpost.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20211127_141026.jpg

What started as drive on broken roads in the forest (where we encountered a lone elephant as well) became the worst possible drive with all the top soil washed off and just sharp jagged rocks throughout. Had to go extremely slow to avoid any cuts and get stranded.

This continued for quite some time and then things became worse. We were now going downhill and the path had lost more soil and was deeply rutted. The drive was far more anxious and we did not even take a pic of the road.

Kept going left and right to avoid the ruts and not get grounded. Also took the opportunity to warn a few motorists coming in the opposite direction, on how bad the roads were and prompted them to turn back. Finally reached the end of the treacherous wretched road and on to smooth tarmac that took us to the river front.

A word of praise for the Linea. Mine is the Pre Facelift, High GC version and boy she took on the rough with just 1 (!) scrape to show for. Same for the Tyres - the rocks gave a sick feeling in the stomach but the Perfinzas crunched their way through. I was truly stunned, for the path that we took would have earned some praise from SUVs for the poor Fiat.

This is the Torque Map View that shows how we fared on this sector. Total Distance 25 Kms, Time taken 2 hours (including 10 mins at the check post, & 10 mins for the tusker to pass) Also note the max speed we could attain.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-screenshot_20211210170408.png

More disappointment awaited us what greeted us was a full river lined with garbage and pooja items and some stench. Not forget pilgrims amidst them all. Spent 30 mins there and then left to find some place on the way back to eat our packed lunch. This time took the road to Halagur, on the way to which we found a quiet spot to spread our carpet and have lunch. A boring drive back home via Kanakapura Road capped off what was an ill planned trip.
sai_ace is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:20   #648
BHPian

Went on a short 35 km (one way) drive (a change to my usual bike rides) to Hesaraghatta. Left home at 7 AM, reached at 8:10. Returned by 10:30 AM after breakfast at Udupi Garden near Hesaraghatta.

I found the place (Hesaraghatta Grasslands) on social media a few months back; some people had gone there as a biking group on Independence Day, lining up their rides on a flat stretch of lush green grass. The place looked enormous. Even Google Images threw up a nice looking flat plains-looking area of land. But what I found there this morning was….well, see for yourselves.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-5e5550dde9bd47468f38e2b703f4eb87.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-1d77471015c2416e9cb6c462220d65f9.jpeg

The rains have filled up the lake bed. Asked a villager at a petty shop. He told me that people from the city come there and litter the place, so they’ve cordoned off the area. There were Area Prohibited warning signs too. The only things to do are to see the temple, take a short walk along the perimeter of the lake and click some pictures.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-b397a9c1fcfd455e8638129ad2e228a3.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2296281ffc70473abcecf49384971a47.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-63f51c3588414e4f9804bf4c6797b273.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2feb84c7a89c4538b811557d2ef4086f.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3483857c705143ca93566de0d784dd64.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-93733eb244de48d1b6e74d2b697a7879.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-8f01287dec0f4accb4419befa87deaa7.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-a924958608684f199c3c16488a8d2507.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-e921b04c0ac8418584630bbcda6ac7f2.jpeg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-c062cd1e00b24b5ea675f8d9799adc1f.jpeg

Overall, a decent trip.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 17:44   #649
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Shoolagiri Dam marked correctly on google maps ? Wondering why there is no waterbody marked nearby on the map!

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-shoolagiri-dam.png

Also, could someone please share the best route if the google maps suggested route is not good ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Last weekend, we visited Chinnar dam, Shoolagiri which is around 80 km from my home.
Quoting to get your attention to know the route you took.

Last edited by NPV : 20th December 2021 at 18:07.
Old 20th December 2021, 18:08   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is the Shoolagiri Dam marked correctly on google maps ? Wondering why there is no waterbody marked nearby on the map!
Well, there is a waterbody and a structure that looks like a dam visible in satellite view. So my bet is on the PoI marker being correctly placed.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:13   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We need to flip the switch on the maps.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-shoolagiri-dam.jpg

The google maps route works just fine. You can park your vehicle at that temple and walk up the stairs . Some of them park their vehicles including cars on top of the dam as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 21:55   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Also, could someone please share the best route if the google maps suggested route is not good ?
As per the satelite image, there is road only for 300 mtrs from the highway. After that, there is no road, as shown by google maps. its only walking trails and dirt tracks after that.

I see there are two routes. One is through shoolagiri town which is marked on google maps and another one from the highway, which is not properly marked.
Based on the satellite image, the shoolagiri route seems to be in bad condition. The 2nd route is partially metalled. You have to turn left at 12.64843723041739, 78.040144604557 from the highway for the 2nd route. No idea about the road condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-shoolagiridamjpg.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2022, 11:32   #653
BHPian

Happy New Year Folks!!!
Just made a random plan to visit Gudibande and Sabbanahalli Lakes to brighten up first day of the new year.
Started from home after lunch at 15:30 hrs and headed towards airport road and beyond.
Roads are an absolute joy for the entire stretch except for 5-6 km of bad batches after exiting NH-44.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  98.9 KB
Delightful roads

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  112.4 KB
Gudibande Lake
The lake had, on a small stretch, breached the bank and inundated the road which caused a bit of worry.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3.jpg
At Sabbanahalli Lake

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  92.8 KB

This place is really scenic to spend a weekend refreshing in the cool breeze, witnessing the underrated beauty of this place. Did not venture into the water as it was in spate and didn't want to take unnecessary risk.
Started the return journey after it got dark and reached back home by 21:00, feeling refreshed and good that we got to spend first day of the year on a brighter note.
Abhinav V is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:38   #654
BHPian

Two day getaways around Bangalore

Hi All,

Am looking for suggestions on a strict 2-day weekend getaway by car (that starts on Friday evening/Saturday morning and ends with being back home on Sunday evening/night) around Bangalore. I do not want to spend most of this time time driving, looking for more of a relaxing getaway with bit of sight seeing around - hence looking for suggestions that are not too far away. But at the same time, not too close a place like Nandi Hills as there is not much to do there over 2 days

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:46   #655
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two day getaways around Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
......But at the same time, not too close a place like Nandi Hills as there is not much to do there over 2 days
Hi, please check this thread for ideas (if you haven't already):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...bangalore.html (Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore)
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:54   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Am looking for suggestions on a strict 2-day weekend getaway by car (that starts on Friday evening/Saturday morning and ends with being back home on Sunday evening/night) around Bangalore. I do not want to spend most of this time time driving, looking for more of a relaxing getaway with bit of sight seeing around - hence looking for suggestions that are not too far away. But at the same time, not too close a place like Nandi Hills as there is not much to do there over 2 days

Thanks in advance
Within 150 kms - Mysore.

Wake up a bit early and reach Mysore for breakfast, there will be less traffic at that time.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:19   #657
BHPian

Once I did a Mysore outing (left on Fri afternoon and returned on Sun evening) having nearly two full days of sightseeing. There are a lot of interesting places within Mysore (30-60 minutes' drive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Within 150 kms - Mysore.

Wake up a bit early and reach Mysore for breakfast, there will be less traffic at that time.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:03   #658
BHPian

I think the other thread of 150 km radius is about day trips. Assuming the OP was asking about places a bit farther than that, here would be my recommendations:

Within KA
  • Mysore
  • Coorg (Madikeri/ Virajpet/ Kushalnagar)
  • Bandipur/ Masinagudi
  • Chikmagalur
  • Belur/ Halebid
  • BR Hills

There are some JLR resorts in and around some of these places, can be pretty good weekend getaway. However, they have strict itinerary for the stays so may not be completely relaxing.

Beyond KA
  • Wayanad (Sulthan Bathery/ Kalpetta), KL
  • Horsley Hills, AP
  • Tirupati, AP
  • Salem (Yercaud, Kolli Hills), TN

If looking for sheer driving pleasure, would suggest Hospet. 330 kms but superb roads that would take almost same time as some of the above, but obviously 1 night/ 2 days wont be enough for all the monuments.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:11   #659
Senior - BHPian

You can add below to the list,

- Within 5 hours of driving

- Kabani
- Sakleshpur
- Nagerhole
- Bheemashweri
- Belur

- 5+ hours, doable with an early morning start

- Jog Falls
- Agumbe, Kudajadri hills
- Muthumalai, Gudallur, Devala or even Ooty (TN)
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:05   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Yelagiri Hills is another option, same distance as Mysore but drive is relaxing due to good roads in TN. Nothing much to do for sightseeing there, get some good homestay and enjoy the cool weather and morning mist. There's a small lake, park & some adventure camp/go-karting in case you wish to indulge in activities.

Here's a pic from new year morning, we did overnight camping there.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_8039.jpg
asethi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks