Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:24   #31
BHPian

Thank, ampere. This is excellent! Makalidurga seems a place really off the beaten track and I think is not featured in Outlook - 52 Weekend Getaways from Bangalore.
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:18   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
Thank, ampere. This is excellent! Makalidurga seems a place really off the beaten track and I think is not featured in Outlook - 52 Weekend Getaways from Bangalore.

Thanks Roameo for the kind words.

Another place which is commonly missed out is Bannerghatta. Although its crowded on the weekends, but the zoo, safari and the butterfly park is one hell of a place for kids. It is a very good outing for the day. One can go early have the morning out, have good food at the JLR restaurant anold be home by evening. For folks who dont want to drive, there is a BMTC Volvo service which runs every one hour from Majestic to Bannerghatta.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2010 at 19:19.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
If you want a place which has good place to dine and stay then try of the below one day trips desitinations. All the below destinations are along Cauvery river and within 150Km from Bangalore.
  1. Bheemeshwari Fishing Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only problem with JLR is that you can never make an instant decision of driving to any of these places. They are always booked. You need to book in advance, which kind of spoils the fun. Because for a distance of 150-200Km you dont want to book 2 months in advance.
Rightly saud ampere.
We had been to Bheemeshwari fishing camp yesterday without booking for a day's visit.
Had to return with a pale face.
JLR doesn't entertain without proper booking.
Not even a single PROPER hotel between Kanakpura - Bheemeshwari.
Only saving grace was the drive from Sathanur - Bheemeshwari. It was fantastic.
One has to pay 50 Rs as entry fee in Muthathi. God knows as why do they collect this amonut.
Total distance 100kms from Banshakari.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Today we tried the Devanarayanadurga, Madhugiri Black Buck Sanctuary and [COLOR=#006600]Siddara Betta.

I can just say, we keep on saying there are no places around to see and nature keeps throwing these to us.

All these places are in Tumkur district and bordering on AP side. You need drive towards Tumkur till you hit Dobbas Pet and these places are about 30-40Km from here.

I also found that Dobas Pet is the point from where NH207 (one of the smallest NHs) originates.

Devanarayan Durga is a temple on top of a hill, where you can drive to. It is also ideally suited for a trek (an hour or two). Nearby vistas are just too good. Recommend to reach here by 7 in winter, to see this place at its very best.

Skipped the Madhugiri and Chenanarayan Durga forts, as it was too hot.

Need to drive about 20km toward Paruvara and then to Maidanhalli to reach the Black buck sanctuary. This also includes driving on a mud road for about 3KM. The place is very nice, and is a grassland like forest. Do not expect heavy dense trees. Spotted a few Black Bucks.

Siddarabetta is a temple place. One needs to take a diversion in between Koratagere and Madhugiri and drive about 12Km to reach the base of the hill. Then its a climb of about ~700 feet all on steps. Aged people may find it difficult. There is a temple at the top and some caves. Overall not much to do, but very good views as you climb.

All these places lie around the same region. The arterial road is the Tumkur-Hindupur road. I realized that this is a SH which is used by people in and around Tumkur to go towards NH7, without needing to go towards BLR.

Obviously there should would have been some road serving this purpose. Just did not realize it is this one.

Also please carry your own food. There are no options available.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:25   #35
BHPian

Another place to visit is Sripuram. That is if one wants to visit a temple and have a nice drive. It's around 200 km from Bangalore and adjacent to vellore enroute to chennai. Awesome road. It's got a Mahalaxmi temple also called as the Golden Temple and is made of pure gold.... a treat to eyes to see so much gold at one place. Definitely looks like goddess Laxmi's residence. Sadly no pictures allowed there.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:33   #36
BHPian

Thanks ampere and babaops for adding those new places.

Here is rk_sans little travelogue to Channarayana Durga near Madhugiri in Tumkur district around 100 km from Bangalore:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

Another nice travelogue for Pandavapura with pics of the stunning Thonnur lake:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...t-history.html

Last edited by Roameo : 19th January 2010 at 09:51.
Old 19th January 2010, 13:07   #37
Team-BHP Support

In fact I found about this side of things from rk_sans. Here is a snap of the place taken in early hours. Worth a visit for a day picnic.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-image0110.jpg
Old 19th January 2010, 16:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...... Devanarayanadurga, Madhugiri Black Buck Sanctuary and [COLOR=#006600]Siddara Betta.
.......Chenanarayan Durga forts, as it was too hot.
I agree, there are a lot places around Bangalore which can be done as a 1 day excursion. One can even try Savanadurga which is a rocky hill near Magadi town. But it is going to be hot there.

@ quotes: Actually it is Devarayana Durga and Channarayana Durga.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:10   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I agree, there are a lot places around Bangalore which can be done as a 1 day excursion. One can even try Savanadurga which is a rocky hill near Magadi town. But it is going to be hot there.

@ quotes: Actually it is Devarayana Durga and Channarayana Durga.

Thanks for correction. I always pronounce it right, but spell it wrong
Old 21st January 2010, 20:32   #40
BHPian

Sushrutha,

I have to travel to Chikmagalur next weekend. Any good places other than Belur & bababudangiri. On my last drive earlier this month I was told by a friend that Bababudangiri or Dattapeeth is closed since it is a disputed site.

I read about Mulayangiri, Devyangiri in this thread are these different places?
Old 5th October 2010, 13:53   #41
mkh
Senior - BHPian

HI Folks
Have read several posts from folks who have travelled, but cannot really find a definitive answer to this question that i am faced with
What will be a good trip( wildlife, jungles) around 2-3 hours from bangalore in this season?
I have seen that Kabini, Nagarhole, Bandipur are the most frequented places, added to that Madikere probably.
What are the cheaper accomodations to stay in? Saw the resorts like JL which are about Rs 4K a day, need something around 3K a day at the most.
Can someone suggest a itenary for starting Sat morning and reaching Sunday evening or even Fri morning to Sunday Evening?
I am tempted towards Bandipur as there will be some animals around this year hopefully, what is a good place to stay there- homestays or something in the range of 2.5K per day with food?
Old 5th October 2010, 15:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

mkh, If you want to vist Bandipur then Jungle lodges are good. it is 1500/- per night and the rooms are very good. This included all your food and safari and a visit to Gopalswamy Betta also. Check it out.
Old 5th October 2010, 16:02   #43
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
mkh, If you want to vist Bandipur then Jungle lodges are good. it is 1500/- per night and the rooms are very good. This included all your food and safari and a visit to Gopalswamy Betta also. Check it out.
It says 3K per person there, had checked that out intially as its the most famous. Need something like 4k for 2 people per night. Anything cheaper, like a homestay etc?
Old 5th October 2010, 17:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
It says 3K per person there, had checked that out intially as its the most famous. Need something like 4k for 2 people per night. Anything cheaper, like a homestay etc?
Generally if you book online/over phone there is not much scope to negotiate. Speak to them if you like and that would give you an idea.

As you would be travelling in your car, there are many good lodges/resorts starting from bandipur till madhumalai. You can see the rooms, negogiate the charges and then book. Obviously this hold good if you are starting early morning from Bangalore, else if you go at night better to book in advance.

Safari : Best times are early morning or late evening - in short the first and the last safari trip. Better to take the safari from Bandipur (if you stay at Madhumalai also, few kms distance), chances of seeing Tiger are a bit more, but then its luck.

If you are more Adventurous : There are lodges and resort whom you can speak with (initially they would say NO, not possible etc) if you can make them agree for Night Safari (starting 11pm till 12:30am) in Jeeps, then nothing like it, but if with your family get few other members too. Believe me, Tiger - no gurantee, but 90% chances you would see Wild Elephants, among usual deers, bison etc and that would be a different feeling altogether seeing wild animals at middle of night !

Moreover you have Ooty nearby, and also can take a nearby trips to Guddalur etc.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:07   #45
BHPian

I would recommend Bangalore -> BR Hills -> K.Gudi stretch-> Bangalore. 375 kms roundtrip. What a beautiful drive it is through the BR Hills Sanctuary! If you're smitten by the place ( which you'll be ), you'll always go back for the stay at JLR there for a day more. If you're not, the 1 day drive will still be an experience.

Most Viewed