Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 11:27   #181
BHPian

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Anyone did the Jog falls recently - interested to know about the water flow rate to decide on the weekend trip.
Old 13th August 2013, 16:15   #182
BHPian

We are planning a trip to Horsley hills from Bangalore on 17th August for an overnight stay at the Haritha resort there. Any travel tips would be great. 4 Adults, 1 toddler and 1 baby in a Figo.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:08   #183
BHPian

Visited Kanva dam last Satudray. Went and returned via the usual NICE road -Bidadi - Ramnagar SH-17 route. Started around 12:30 PM from Marathalli and returned at 6:00 PM.

A few pictures:

1. Good road through villages ; absolutely no traffic
2. Not much water in the dam.
3. I saw a few vehicles parked near water. not able to find the road which goes to the lakeshore. :(
4. 'Zulu'
5. Stopped at Kamat Lokaruchi for snacks while returning. They prepare very good Basundi.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_1281_rs.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_1286_rs.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_1310_rs.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_1325_rs.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_1328_rs.jpg  

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 14th August 2013 at 12:15.
ankan.m.blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 17:54   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Anyone did the Jog falls recently - interested to know about the water flow rate to decide on the weekend trip.
Did Jog last weekend. The waterfall is pretty good. Though not as good as what was reported in the news papers the previous week(the flood gates were open).
The road was in good condition. No hassle at all. Did Blore '-Citradurga -Shimoga - Sagar - Jog.
Stay at the Royal Orchid Shimoga.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-image3426943532.jpg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-image2830817308.jpg  

Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 17:22   #185
SBR
BHPian

Where: Sivanasamudra falls (Gaganachukki Falls) & on the return journey, a visit to Talakadu.

Day of Journey: Tomorrow (21st Sep, 2013). Plan to start around 8:30 AM and return home by 6:00 PM.

My ride:Ritz VDI with family and kids.

I am told that the best route will be via Mandya on the Mysore highway and take the road straight to Sivanasamudra falls & when returning from the falls, a road/deviation leads to Talakadu.

A quick help on the route and road conditions and if any important aspects I need to consider will be helpful.

advise.
Old 20th September 2013, 17:37   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
A quick help on the route and road conditions and if any important aspects I need to consider will be helpful.
Dont go via Mysore road. Take NH209 all the way. Much much better an option. Smooth roads and much less traffic. However fewer hotels on the way.

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2013 at 17:40.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 17:48   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

I am told that the best route will be via Mandya on the Mysore highway and take the road straight to Sivanasamudra falls & when returning from the falls, a road/deviation leads to Talakadu.

A quick help on the route and road conditions and if any important aspects I need to consider will be helpful. advise.
Take NH209 instead of Mysore Road.
Please read my recent travelogue for all the answers: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-talakad.html

Last edited by iVento : 20th September 2013 at 17:49.
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 12:13   #188
BHPian

Planning for a Mekedatu trip this Saturday. Is it good time to visit. Heard that there is lot of water and dangerous for kids is it true?
Old 31st October 2013, 16:23   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Planning for a Mekedatu trip this Saturday. Is it good time to visit. Heard that there is lot of water and dangerous for kids is it true?
In my opinion, Mekedatu is dangerous if you let the kids roam freely and allow them to venture into knee deep water, but if you take care not to let them venture into water unsupervised , it should be fine.

Be careful of slippery rocks , eddys and broken bottles.

The depths are unpredictable and the rock cropping are also pretty dangerous. I dont think there is a concept of life jacket in the coracle rides as well ( this info is around 2 years old, when we used to frequent the place from my in-laws place in Kollegal)
Old 21st April 2014, 20:35   #190
BHPian

The search for a weekend day-trip destination begins again. We have visited Shivanasamudram, Talakadu, DD Hills, Shivaganga, Somnathpura, Bhimeswari, Lepakshi, BR Hills, Ranganathittu etc. Please suggest any other destination with family friendly env, restroom & parking facilities.
Old 21st April 2014, 21:07   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The search for a weekend day-trip destination begins again. We have visited Shivanasamudram, Talakadu, DD Hills, Shivaganga, Somnathpura, Bhimeswari, Lepakshi, BR Hills, Ranganathittu etc. Please suggest any other destination with family friendly env, restroom & parking facilities.
You can do the Shrvanabelagola/Melkote circuit. Or closer to Hassan you can do Shettihalli/Hemavathy Reservoir and Shravanabelagola.

EDIT: You said you have done DD Hills. Drive further on the same road, and go to Channarayanaruga. Its a fort. You can do Madhugiri and also Siddarbetta.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2014 at 21:21.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:36   #192
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
You may want to try Chunchi water falls the entry to the place is a small deviation from the sangam/mekedatu road just off Kanakapura. You can read up more about the place on the net as well as search TBHP. I think there are some mentions maybe even pictures.
I haven't been to the place yet.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:51   #193
Team-BHP Support

There would no water in Chunchi now. One should go in may Aug/Sep. This place is on the way to Mekedatu.

In general another thing to note is that since you are slowly exhausting nearby places, your distance to hit a weekend spot, slowly would not increase. At least thats what I have noticed over the last 4-5 years. From a humble 50km radius it has come to a stage where did 500km (total) in a single day along with time to explore.

For such excursions surely its strenuous for the family members. So you need to sanitise the targets accordingly.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2014 at 22:59.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:50   #194
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I am planning to do a trip to Mysore in the 2nd weekend of May. We will start from Bangalore on Friday morning and plan to return back by Sunday evening.

I would be the only driver. Car is i10. Total members - 3 adults + 2 kids.

We want this to be a leisurely trip, covering the most of the popular spots and spending some time at each spot.

Please suggest the must see spots in and around Mysore.

From my limited knowledge, I could come up with the following:

1. Shivasamudram - We plan to cover this on friday, on the route to Mysore. Will there be any water in this season ? Is it worth going at this time of the year ?

2. Mysore Palace - Must see spot.

3. Mysore Zoo - Kids would enjoy. I will also get to do some amateur photography.

4. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary - I really like this place and have gone there 3 times in the past. But is it worth visiting in the month of May ? Can we spot any birds in this time of the year ?

5. Other miscellaneous places like Rail Museum, St Philomena's Church, Chamundi Hills, Srirangapatana etc (depending upon the time available).

Not too keen on visiting Brindavan Garden, I never understood what the fuss is all about.

Rohan
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:29   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi friends,

I am planning to do a trip to Mysore in the 2nd weekend of May. We will start from Bangalore on Friday morning and plan to return back by Sunday evening.

I would be the only driver. Car is i10. Total members - 3 adults + 2 kids.

We want this to be a leisurely trip, covering the most of the popular spots and spending some time at each spot.

Please suggest the must see spots in and around Mysore.

From my limited knowledge, I could come up with the following:

1. Shivasamudram - We plan to cover this on friday, on the route to Mysore. Will there be any water in this season ? Is it worth going at this time of the year ?

2. Mysore Palace - Must see spot.

3. Mysore Zoo - Kids would enjoy. I will also get to do some amateur photography.

4. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary - I really like this place and have gone there 3 times in the past. But is it worth visiting in the month of May ? Can we spot any birds in this time of the year ?

5. Other miscellaneous places like Rail Museum, St Philomena's Church, Chamundi Hills, Srirangapatana etc (depending upon the time available).

Not too keen on visiting Brindavan Garden, I never understood what the fuss is all about.

Rohan
Hi Rohan,
1. There is not much water in Gaganachukki, some water is there at Bharachukki (this is what I heard from a friend who visited 15 days back). you can play in the water here. You can also visit Somnathpura temple which is not very far.
2. Palace is a must visit.
3. IMHO, Mysore zoo is also a must visit. but in this hot climate, its better to hire a battery operated buggy (rate was INR 100/- per person last year).
4. It'll be very hot; if you are not a keen birder, you can give it a miss now and visit in aug/ sep
5. If possible, visit Tippu's summer palace at Srirangapattana.
There's a small wax museum is Mysore depicting wax figures with indian musical instruments. I liked that place. Also worth mentioning is the art gallery; if you are interested in arts then you might pay a visit there.

You can plan you'r trip such that you start early morning; take Kanakpura Road (NH209) ; visit Shivanasamudram & Somnathpura; reach Mysore in the afternoon.
While returning from Mysore, take the Mys-Blr road (SH-17) and visit Srirangapattana attractions on the way.
ankan.m.blr is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks