Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 16:51   #256
BHPian

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Did the 1 day trip to Talakadu in the last week of Dec 2015.

Route followed:
Regular BLR-Mysore highway till Maddur -> Malavalli -> Talakadu

The stretch between Maddur and Malavalli has all kinds of road conditions.
Just after you exit the highway at Maddur, the road is bumpy, with potholes having been recently filled with uneven dollops of tar.
Then it deteriorates to the point of being a mud road, with bi-directional traffic being pushed into one lane, due to ongoing road work on the adjacent lane.
There are some stretches where road widening has been completed and these can be covered very quickly.
In other stretches, one half of the road has been completed, while work on the other half is ongoing and bi-directional traffic gets onto this single completed lane.
In many places, there is almost a 1 foot difference in height between adjacent lanes of the road (one being the completed lane and the other being the one where work is ongoing)
IMO, it is best to avoid night driving on this stretch due to the current road condition.

After Malavalli, Google maps suggests a deviation from NH 209 onto a village road. Route link.
This stretch of road is very good for the first few KMs after leaving NH 209 and then deteriorates rapidly and becomes rather agonizing till the point where it hits the Belakavadi to T-Narasipura road.
There is some road work ongoing on this stretch, but doesn't look like it is going to complete anytime soon, as there was no machinery apart from a digger on this entire stretch.
After rejoining the Belakavadi to T-Narasipura road, the drive quality improves again and remains good till Talakadu.

There are no decent food joints or restrooms anywhere after you exit from the BLR-Mysore highway
The Talakadu river bank was a nice place for kids to enjoy, but quite crowded.

Wasn't aware of the existence of other route options so took the same route on the way back also and suffered the same broken road between Belakavady - T-Narasipura road and Malavalli.

For someone else who is visiting, it might be worth checking if either of:
1] Malavalli to Talakadu road via Kyathanahalli and Mallinathpura. Route link
2] NH 209 -> Belakavadi -> T-Narasipura to Belakavadi road -> Talakadu (a slightly longer route). Route link.

have better road conditions than the shorter route suggested by Google maps
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:01   #257
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

For a day trip drive to Karighatta from Bangalore, is this the correct route if going via NH 209 Kanakapura-Malavalli ?

https://goo.gl/maps/1WB52TVyM492

I think at Malavalli cross of NH 209, one needs to turn right and then left onto Bannur Road (SH 33).

At Bannur, on SH 33 are there any landmarks to spot the turn off to SH 79 towards Srirangapatna ?

And again how to spot the turn off to Karighatta from the SH 79 ?
Old 7th April 2016, 13:20   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For a day trip drive to Karighatta from Bangalore, is this the correct route if going via NH 209 Kanakapura-Malavalli ?
The route you have shown is via the Hassan Highway. All you have to do take the road to Bannur. At Bannur, turn to Srirangapatna. The climb to the hill is just before the point where Bannur SH touches Mysore road.

If you coming from Bangalore via the Mysore road, then, the easy way to remember this exit is to take left before the first bridge on Cauvery.

Quote:
I think at Malavalli cross of NH 209, one needs to turn right and then left onto Bannur Road (SH 33).
Yes. Thats the route.

Quote:
At Bannur, on SH 33 are there any landmarks to spot the turn off to SH 79 towards Srirangapatna ?
Have no idea. But your GPS should be able to handle it with ease.

Quote:
And again how to spot the turn off to Karighatta from the SH 79 ?
Its well marked. Should not be an issue. The road goes all the way to the temple of top.

Since its hot, please make an early visit. Its fun to be there at sunrise, if you can manage.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 14:10   #259
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route you have shown is via the Hassan Highway.
Just checked the link and it loads up fine for me with the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Karightta route

Quote:
If you coming from Bangalore via the Mysore road, then, the easy way to remember this exit is to take left before the first bridge on Cauvery.
You mean just before Srirangapatna ?

Being there at sunrise seems unlikely, but yes an early morning 5am start should be possible so that we beat the heat, hoping to be on my way back by 11am
Old 7th April 2016, 18:53   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess what Ampere is saying is to take the Somanathapura route just before Srirangapatana.

I guess there is a yellow KA tourism signboard with Somanathapura distance marked at this junction. Road slightly turns to right here and it hard to miss the junction.
Old 7th April 2016, 19:09   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess what Ampere is saying is to take the Somanathapura route just before Srirangapatana.
No. I did not mean that.

If you are on the regular Mysore road, just before entering Srirangapatna, when you hit the first bridge on Cauvery, you will a see road left. Thats the state highway to Bannur. Karigatta is very close after this exit on to left.
Old 7th April 2016, 19:43   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. I did not mean that.
I was talking about this road link

I guess you are talking about next deviation.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2016 at 23:09. Reason: Fixed URL Link
Old 7th April 2016, 23:11   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am talking about the point you marked. Its the same point.
Old 7th April 2016, 23:37   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are on the regular Mysore road, just before entering Srirangapatna, when you hit the first bridge on Cauvery, you will a see road left. Thats the state highway to Bannur. Karigatta is very close after this exit on to left.
Quote:

Actually this turn off towards Bannur is a couple of kilometers before you get to the first Cauvery bridge at Srirangapatna. There is a rather big village with quite a few shops, a bank etc (Baburayanakoppal) a few hundred meters after you cross this junction, and the Cauvery bridge comes about 1 km after that. Can't recall any specific landmark at this junction, but I think there is a board there with marking for Somanathapura and possibly Talakad as @mpksuhas mentioned.
Old 8th April 2016, 00:15   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Actually this turn off towards Bannur is a couple of kilometers before you get to the first Cauvery bridge at Srirangapatna. There is a rather big village with quite a few shops, a bank etc (Baburayanakoppal) a few hundred meters after you cross this junction, and the Cauvery bridge comes about 1 km after that. Can't recall any specific landmark at this junction, but I think there is a board there with marking for Somanathapura and possibly Talakad as @mpksuhas mentioned.
Sorry guys. My bad. I did mean the point which Suhaas mentioned. Just that I thought it was Cauvery.

I hope that clears the confusion. Have been to this temple some time back. Beautiful place in winter.

I had updated about this place some time back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3610036

Cross posting those images here.

The temple in the morning before the sun came on:

Sunrise

ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 23:05   #266
BHPian

Suggest a place

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a place around Bangalore - 60 - 70 km where I can sit and paint on location. Any lake / waterbody/ structure with a background would do.

Mods: Couldn't find a suitable existing thread. If present, please merge.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:03   #267
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggest a place

This is my personal favorite spot in Bangalore with rolls of green on one side, lake on one side, and mountains with train track on the other side: 13.442522, 77.518448 I happened to stumble upon the place in my first year in College. It is quite a drive away (about 50kms from Hebbal) and in the end you need to take a tall path off the road which if you don't drive carefully, can have you fall down on either side. I always use my Wagon R even though the Kizashi would be ideal for the narrow state highway where overtaking must be done swiftly, because that final drive down the path requires something narrow that you don't mind getting a bit scratched up due to the plant growth.

PM me if you need any more help getting to the place

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd June 2016 at 06:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:30   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggest a place

This thread may help. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html.

If just the lake kind of atmosphere, maybe the surviving lakes within Bangalore like ulsoor or kaikondrahalli will work?

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd June 2016 at 06:32.
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:49   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
This is my personal favorite spot in Bangalore with rolls of green on one side, lake on one side, and mountains with train track on the other side: 13.442522, 77.518448 I happened to stumble upon the place in my first year in College. It is quite a drive away (about 50kms from Hebbal) and in the end you need to take a tall path off the road which if you don't drive carefully, can have you fall down on either side. I always use my Wagon R even though the Kizashi would be ideal for the narrow state highway where overtaking must be done swiftly, because that final drive down the path requires something narrow that you don't mind getting a bit scratched up due to the plant growth.

PM me if you need any more help getting to the place
Are there any places to have breakfast on the way? Is sunrise/sunset visible ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This thread may help. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html.

If just the lake kind of atmosphere, maybe the surviving lakes within Bangalore like ulsoor or kaikondrahalli will work?
I want to drive too. So looking to combine both. Any other places would also do, not necessarily lakes.
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:51   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Are there any places to have breakfast on the way? Is sunrise/sunset visible ?
A basic meal and some tea, sure. Personally I have never stopped on the way, but have seen a few places. Yup sunrise and sunset are visible. Even if you don't end up painting the place, I highly recommend just visiting it Fair warning, it is a state highway and I would suggest driving slowly the first time since there are several bad undulations, unmarked speed-breakers and currently a few diversions.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd June 2016 at 09:53.

Most Viewed