Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:55   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Can somebody guide me where to stop and and how far to walk on the railway track and from what point to start climbing up? Which side and way to go Iocate the best view point around the fort?
Check this Google route link. The location is accurate.

Route Link

You park right next to the railway track. There is enough space. But if you plan to climb up the hill, I dont know how safe is the location, as its open.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 01:26   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Check this Google route link. The location is accurate.

Route Link

You park right next to the railway track. There is enough space. But if you plan to climb up the hill, I dont know how safe is the location, as its open.
Thanks Ampere. How long does it take to climb up? 2 hrs? I am planning to leave by 10 pm. Is it safe to come down by 6pm and walk back to the car?

Ragul
Old 6th August 2016, 08:45   #303
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to leave by 10 pm.
I really hope that is a typo and you actually meant 10am ?

If it's indeed 10am, then 10am to 6pm is a lot of time to spend there. I guess it may be safer then with a group rather than all alone.
Old 6th August 2016, 21:11   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. How long does it take to climb up? 2 hrs? I am planning to leave by 10 pm. Is it safe to come down by 6pm and walk back to the car?
I would say start early to be there by 8 or so. Much better that way. There is absolutely nothing in terms of support. So please carry your own food and water.
Old 7th August 2016, 01:24   #305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I really hope that is a typo and you actually meant 10am ?

If it's indeed 10am, then 10am to 6pm is a lot of time to spend there. I guess it may be safer then with a group rather than all alone.
Thank you for spotting the error - yes I meant starting out at 10AM from my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say start early to be there by 8 or so. Much better that way. There is absolutely nothing in terms of support. So please carry your own food and water.
We plan to stay till 4:30pm pm before climbing down. I think two hours on top should be good enough and assuming a one hour climb even 12PM starting time should be good enough should it not?

PS: We dont want to park right at the temple and climb up, we want to enjoy walking like tramps for about 2km on the railway line. Is the parking area indicated right next to the railway station or near the temple?

Thanks for your inputs.

Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 7th August 2016 at 01:36.
Old 7th August 2016, 01:50   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: We dont want to park right at the temple and climb up, we want to enjoy walking like tramps for about 2km on the railway line. Is the parking area indicated right next to the railway station or near the temple?
All the more a reason to start early. Because you walk a km or two along the tracks before climbing up!

But yes parking at the station is a bit more safer. I did the same some 10 years back!
Old 7th August 2016, 08:55   #307
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We plan to stay till 4:30pm pm before climbing down. I think two hours on top should be good enough and assuming a one hour climb even 12PM starting time should be good enough should it not?
Instead of a late morning start and hill climb at noon, I would suggest an early morning start and hill climb so that by noon you can be back on the road. That will work much better.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:37   #308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Instead of a late morning start and hill climb at noon, I would suggest an early morning start and hill climb so that by noon you can be back on the road. That will work much better.

Except that I want a sunset drive looping back home via a longish route

Thanks all for your inputs.

Cheers!
R
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:44   #309
Senior - BHPian

Hi BHPians,
We're planning a trip to Horseley hills on 3rd and 4th of September. Accommodation is booked by mom's friend at Madanapalle.

We'll be travelling in an Innova. Is this route okay?
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-route.jpg

Also, what are the best POIs?
Old 24th August 2016, 07:35   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
We'll be travelling in an Innova. Is this route okay?
With an Innova any route should be OK! Jokes apart Hoskote-Chintamani is the standard route to Madanapalle.

Quote:
The only hitch is there are near zero places to break for food. So its best you carry own stock.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:26   #311
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The route via Chintamani is the regular route and I road conditions are decent from what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Horseley Hills is just a hillock with some good views, a place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
There's not much else other than the APTDC run Haritha hotel/resort there.
Nearest town is Madanapalle and probably some temples around the place and the Rishi Valley school. Madanapalle is also known for it's mangoes but it's not season time now.

*check out some of the travelogues here on Team BHP for more information.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 12:37   #312
BANNED

So we went to MakaliDurga. Left home by 12:20 I think and took the longish route after the BIAL toll naka and reached by 2pm. Parked at the Rly Stn and enquired the direction to HYD with the Stn Master who popped out of his cabin. Turned out to be counter-intuitive and the opposite of the direction I'd planned to walk. Anyways dont be stupid like me and remember to walk in the direction of the hill. Obvious eh?
We started climbing down by 16:45 and were down before dusk.

Just posting to remind people that a lazy morning and a late start is also a good option. No need to wake up early on a holiday.
The place is doable in the PM after rainy season starts as afternoons are windy and cloudy. It rained just enough to wet our skin and cool us delightfully but not enough to soak us or drench us.

Cheers
R

Last edited by Ragul : 26th August 2016 at 12:43.
Ragul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:57   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Parked at the Rly Stn and enquired the direction to HYD with the Stn Master who popped out of his cabin. Turned out to be counter-intuitive and the opposite of the direction I'd planned to walk.
Direction towards the hill and towards Hyd are same. Its not opposite. (See Google maps). Not sure if it was a mis-communication/interpretation ?
Old 26th August 2016, 14:32   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
...Another 20Kms from here, there is a Heritage Vineyard. Had lunch here and spent around 3-4 hours lazily exploring the place. This place is spacious and has open place for kids to play around. Also, we can walk around their vineyard.(http://www.heritagewinery.in/aboutus.html)It was a fun day with impromptu activities. Total Kms covered was around 150 Kms.
How was the visit to this vineyard? have seen the board when traveling towards mysore, but went there. Pl share your feedback in terms of
- activities (wine tour? worthiness?)
- lunch at their restaurant? (quality, price, recommended? Is lunch better or a dinner would be a better option)
- pricing aspects
- Also, is it a good option to take some foreign guests? say for a half day outing?
Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 11:14   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
How was the visit to this vineyard? have seen the board when traveling towards mysore, but went there. Pl share your feedback in terms of
- activities (wine tour? worthiness?)
- lunch at their restaurant? (quality, price, recommended? Is lunch better or a dinner would be a better option)
- pricing aspects
- Also, is it a good option to take some foreign guests? say for a half day outing?
Thanks
We didn't have any expectations while going there, so we were satisfied.

Activities: Kids play area, Wine tour and wine tasting.You can taste some 6-7 types of wine.you can buy them too..
Lunch: It was good but little pricey we felt.
Its totally outside the maddening city hustle and bustle. so foreigners may like it. May be you should give them a call and check if they have any other activities as well.

Most Viewed