Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 07:34   #691
BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Once we visit Lepakshi, there's a route that takes to Sabbanahalli Lake/Gunjur Lake via Gouribidanur and return to Bangalore

Is the route good ?

Name:  lep.PNG
Views: 1368
Size:  141.5 KB

Are there any good restaurants on the lake side or we need to wait until we join with Hyderabad - Bangalore Road (left side )?
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 11:49   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Once we visit Lepakshi, there's a route that takes to Sabbanahalli Lake/Gunjur Lake via Gouribidanur and return to Bangalore

Is the route good ?

Attachment 2336235

Are there any good restaurants on the lake side or we need to wait until we join with Hyderabad - Bangalore Road (left side )?
There is absolutely nothing around the lake view point. The view point itself is overrated and is nothing great. What is good is the drive until there which is very green.

For food, please carry your own eatables. If you want to absolutely eat something outside, then your best bet is to come out to the highway and head back towards Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20220720-11.46.27-am-1.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-whatsapp-image-20220720-11.46.27-am.jpeg  

normaltusker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 13:31   #693
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
You can visit Krishnagiri dam park. open.
Krishnagiri dam is about 100km from Bangalore. Makes for a great early morning drive and a half day out. A little mild off roading is also possible there. Best to go with at least one more vehicle rather than alone.
The designated dam park is of acceptable standard but on weekends there will be quite a few bikers and all. And yes there are monkeys who are quite tame and will tend to snatch food if you eat in thw open. Thats a rabies risk in case they scratch you while snatching food. Hence best not to eat in the open.
Attached Thumbnails
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-4124a87fb51a46189d50170dd0ad9776.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-1b1ad7770bd9451bae5c21de0c04e2e9.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-b03f0b853035436d8368f9844b2bad32.jpeg  

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-663ff01085b24073a4d6ece6309aca25.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 07:32   #694
BHPian

A word of caution to those planing to go to Krishnagiri Dam:

The Google Marker is placed right in the center of the reservoir. As a result, google routes you through a stretch of narrow village roads/paths and finally ends up placing you at a spot that is in the middle of nowhere. I didn't go all the way as it was getting too narrow and there was no space to turn the car, you'll have to reverse for quite a distance and do so carefully since in this area both sides are recessed water logged fields... the narrow road/path is sort of a plateau between fields on both sides. Can be stressful for new drivers.

If you are going to Krishnagiri Dam, Please search for 'KRP Dam Park'. That has the right location and will take you there correctly. I'd have changed the map location, but looks like general public can not edit this map marker.

Last edited by blitz_nomad : 25th July 2022 at 07:33. Reason: corrected a typo
blitz_nomad is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 15:54   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Went on a short 35 km (one way) drive (a change to my usual bike rides) to Hesaraghatta. Left home at 7 AM, reached at 8:10. Returned by 10:30 AM after breakfast at Udupi Garden near Hesaraghatta.

I found the place (Hesaraghatta Grasslands) on social media a few months back; some people had gone there as a biking group on Independence Day, lining up their rides on a flat stretch of lush green grass. The place looked enormous. Even Google Images threw up a nice looking flat plains-looking area of land. But what I found there this morning was….well, see for yourselves.
What you had ended up at was the property of IIHR. Entry to the grasslands has been closed for a couple of years and even the routes have been delisted from Google Maps. This was done because of the damage that was being done to the ecosystem. The last time I had gone 6-7 years back, the place was littered with plastic and liquor bottles and also several unruly people.
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 19:16   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
What you had ended up at was the property of IIHR. Entry to the grasslands has been closed for a couple of years and even the routes have been delisted from Google Maps. This was done because of the damage that was being done to the ecosystem. The last time I had gone 6-7 years back, the place was littered with plastic and liquor bottles and also several unruly people.
If you read again, I’ve not stated that I’d actually reached the grasslands. In fact, I tried finding the place on my bike, not so long ago, but it was raining slightly and the maps just kept telling me to go on and on until I decided it was enough and turned back. Never got around to entering any private property, cordoned off or otherwise.

But yeah, our people have no civic sense, which is a given fact.
Old 17th August 2022, 19:24   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
If you read again, I’ve not stated that I’d actually reached the grasslands. In fact, I tried finding the place on my bike, not so long ago, but it was raining slightly and the maps just kept telling me to go on and on until I decided it was enough and turned back. Never got around to entering any private property, cordoned off or otherwise.

But yeah, our people have no civic sense, which is a given fact.
Understood. The first pic that you have put, that is in fact part of my regular cycling route and that is how I recognize it. The road is not private property per se but definitely has gates on both sides.
Old 21st August 2022, 16:14   #698
BHPian

On a casual drive to Bagepalli saw these parks. This particular one was located at Paragodu, on the highway, just a few meters after the Chitravathi dam road when returning from Bagepalli to Chikkaballapur. The concept seems nice and it was a largish park with some children's play area etc. Would look beautiful in the early morning. One could spend a few minutes at max walking around. There are some old trees that are labeled and would serve for education purposes.

The tree parks are created in the name of Salu Marada Thimmakka and all the parks listed in the board are in Chikballapur district.

Though the board says trek, restaurant etc available in the campus, I could see no one around.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-paragodu1.png

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-paragodu2.png

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-paragodu3.png
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 19:17   #699
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Looking for a trip for 3-4 days within Karnataka so just wanted a few suggestions.

Not exactly a limit on 150km, but not more than 200km.

Have already been to areas like Sakleshpur, Mysore, Coorg, Etc and do not want to visit the same places again. Hence looking for options.

Please do mention a good resort to stay if you are aware of any in the place suggested.

Thanks in Advance!
arnav17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 00:30   #700
BHPian

The Markandeya Dam at Budikote, Malur has been overflowing for the last couple of weeks ( I was a little late in getting to the place, but it still is overflowing). The dam is built across the Markandeya river which is a tributary of Dakshina Pinakini ( Then Pennaiyar ) and joins it before the Krishnagiri dam.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-dsc_0079.jpg

Video of the dam when it's at the 75 feet mark on Sep 18, 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Looking for a trip for 3-4 days within Karnataka so just wanted a few suggestions.

Not exactly a limit on 150km, but not more than 200km.

Have already been to areas like Sakleshpur, Mysore, Coorg, Etc and do not want to visit the same places again. Hence looking for options.

Please do mention a good resort to stay if you are aware of any in the place suggested.
Arnav, that is too broad a question for Bangalore without enough details such as how many days, what are the preferred type of places etc. However, here are some options..

• BR Hills, K Gudi ( Jungle Lodges )
  • Gopinatham Mystery Trails ( Jungle Lodges ) + Karnataka side Hogenekal
  • MM Hills Temple + Dzogchen Monastery and if you are adventurous you can explore Hoogyam Dam + Thamarakarai Ghat (elephant zone) or Nugu Dam / Suvarnavathy dam.
  • Yelagiri - nothing much to do, but a quiet place to relax
  • Kabini & Nagarahole ( Orange County / Kabini JLR / Kings Sanctuary JLR / Serai

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2022 at 16:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 18:30   #701

I had plans to visit Gudibande fort for a long time but for some reason it was never accomplished. Starting this weekend, kids have holidays until Dasara. Saturday was the perfect day to give them some adventure after their semester exams. The original plan was to leave early(7am), spend some time near Gudibande lake, then climb the fort and cap it off with a visit to Vatada hosalli lake.

Well, plans are good only on papers and we had a delayed start. Left home at 8.30 am and in no time reached Nandi Upachar for breakfast. After the tasty ghee roast masale dose and filter coffee, we resumed our journey at 9.45 am for Gudibande. From Nandi cross, it takes 45-50 mins to reach the destination. We took the diversion at Peresandra and the roads are good all the way. Gudibande lake was overflowing and driving right next to the water was a thrilling experience. We did not stop here as we were getting late and the sun was beating down.

We reached the base of the hill at 10.30 am. The climb was not challenging but as it was quite hot, we had to take frequent breaks to save the energy. Climbing became easier with cold breeze as we moved up. We carried enough water and some buttermilk packs to keep ourselves hydrated. We spent an hour at the top relishing the views around the hill. Here are some pictures of the views.

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20220924_064944204.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20220924_065004064.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20220924_065613346.jpg

We came down to the base by 1 pm. After a quick tender coconut, we moved towards Sabbanahalli lake. The lake was full and overflowing. We spent 15-20 mins there and started the return journey. While returning, we stopped by the Gudibande lake, clicked few pictures and followed the same route back home.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20220924_090327617-2.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Hotel Pranav. Food was okay and service was quick. Overall, we had a very nice short trip.
sixersiddu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 20:19   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the nearest place from Bangalore south for a good sun-rise view ? Some place with at least a little elevation
Old 30th September 2022, 22:53   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What's the nearest place from Bangalore south for a good sun-rise view ? Some place with at least a little elevation
Why not try Ragigudda in 9th Block Jayanagar...peaceful, small hillock and surrounded for many good breakfast joints once the sun is shining
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 05:38   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Why not try Ragigudda in 9th Block Jayanagar...peaceful, small hillock and surrounded for many good breakfast joints once the sun is shining
Thanks, I live not too far from Ragigudda. However I was trying to head out a bit.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 06:52   #705
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, I live not too far from Ragigudda. However I was trying to head out a bit.
Devarayanadurga will be a good place unless the weather plays spoilsport.
My experience there (Dizzy Drive ®:Sunrise @Devarayanadurga, Inspired by the Captain !) over a decade ago.

Or maybe the Shanmukha temple/Shakti hill resort, Raja Rajeshwari Nagar.

Last edited by NPV : 1st October 2022 at 06:54.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks