Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 13:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
You can probably include MM Hills, but then the roads are not that great.

Add to that, the distance would increase. It would be too hectic for a one day trip.

On a different note, if you happen to visit MM Hills, try trekking to Nagamali. Its probably around 14-16 km one way (rough estimate).

Food ain't available en route as you trek through the forest. You may order food as you pass through the villages at the beginning of the trek so that it will be ready when you trek back.

One must exercise caution as its a frequent elephant crossing area.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:59   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
About 130 km from Bangalore. Nice , placid lake and some old temples. See Pandavapura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I'm planning on a visit tomorrow, will post on a travelogue after returning.
We were searching for some info about this place named Kalhalli on the banks of Hemavati river near Pandavpura (has an ancient temple of significance)and found this thread. Not sure if you had visited Pandavpura later but sharing this anyway.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...my-mandya.html
benzbeemers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 21:35   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbeemers View Post
We were searching for some info about this place named Kalhalli on the banks of Hemavati river near Pandavpura (has an ancient temple of significance)and found this thread. Not sure if you had visited Pandavpura later but sharing this anyway.
I think there are two ways to reach this place. The place is actually very close to KRS reservoir where Hemavathi meets the Cauvery. So you can either go to KRS and
go north or go to Pandavpura and drive for another 30km to reach this place.

Option Via Pandavpura

Option 2 via KRS
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 19:42   #94
BHPian

Yesterday, did a short and sweet drive to visit 2 temples near Hosur.
1) Chandrachoodeshwara temple - entry through the arch on the RHS just after the Hosur flyover, immediately after the next main junction. This is a famous hill temple that provides a fabulous aerial view of Hosur town and the neighbourhood greenery and lakes.
2) Dakshina Tirupathi temple - about 10 Kms after Hosur, on the RHS while going towards Krishnagiri. Landmark would be the Kamat hotel on the same(left) side of the drive and just crossing the same, immediately you will see the arch on your RHS. In fact, this temple is visible from about 1 KM before reaching the arch itself as there is a download curvy slope on this hilly terrain. There used to be a green signage board which is removed because of 6-Lane work but on the opposite direction, the board is still there. The narrow snake-like road leads you to the temple which is on a small hillock with valleys on all sides except for this narrow road. Cool fresh air and amazing scenaries all around with some vegetation, small hills and some water bodies in the valleys. Hardly took an hour from Koramangala and so worth a quick trip or can be coupled with any trip on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch. Please see some of the photos in the net before you decide and unfortunately, I have not taken any.
Old 17th June 2012, 00:08   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Add to that, the distance would increase. It would be too hectic for a one day trip.

On a different note, if you happen to visit MM Hills, try trekking to Nagamali. Its probably around 14-16 km one way (rough estimate).

Food ain't available en route as you trek through the forest. You may order food as you pass through the villages at the beginning of the trek so that it will be ready when you trek back.

One must exercise caution as its a frequent elephant crossing area.
Sachin,

I guess this can be a guided trek, read aobut this last year on a website, it used to organized by KA forest dept folks (something similar to what Kerala FD is doing!). However, I understand that all of them were stopped now. ok, got the website that I referred last year.
Mystery Trails - Trekking route - Details of M.M. Hills to Naaga Male trek

Let me know if you have any idea on how to do these treks, I will be interested doing all of them if I get a chance.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Sachin,

I guess this can be a guided trek, read aobut this last year on a website, it used to organized by KA forest dept folks (something similar to what Kerala FD is doing!). However, I understand that all of them were stopped now. ok, got the website that I referred last year.
Mystery Trails - Trekking route - Details of M.M. Hills to Naaga Male trek

Let me know if you have any idea on how to do these treks, I will be interested doing all of them if I get a chance.
Hi, I was to do this trek last week. But couldn't do it, came back after visiting M.M Hills.

The trek the link speaks of, its much further than Nagamalai. I haven't done that.

I have done only Nagamalai.

Some points-

It's not very difficult as the website claims it to be. Difficult yes, but not very difficult.

It doesn't take 6 hours to reach Nagamalai. Anywhere between 4-5 hours. It can be done in one day. Highly advice you to start early.

One way is roughly around 14kms

My uncle know's a person in M.M Hills. He said jeep facility is available which takes you half the distance (around 7-8kms). They ideally charge 35-40/head. Anything above that is a rip off. He advised us not to take the jeep. They just shove people inside like cattle. Around 15-20

You don't need a guide to do Nagamalai

The ascent is pretty steep.Trek light. Budget your resources.

Food is not available anywhere en route except the villages (a cluster of houses, actually). You need to tell them in advance.

Crossing paths with elephants is not uncommon. Please exercise caution.

It's off season in M.M Hills. Crowd usually starts from Dussera and continues until Ugadi. This is the best time to visit M.M Hills. Sunday/Monday and Amavayse usually has crowd. Avoid those days.

Good food is available in the guest house 'Guru Darshini' and the one adjacent to it. You have to tell 'em in advance. Food is not available on demand.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You can start trekking from TalBetta (foot hills of MM Hills) itself. Its well worth it.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 17th June 2012 at 08:44.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have done only Nagamalai.

Some points-

It's not very difficult as the website claims it to be. Difficult yes, but not very difficult.

It doesn't take 6 hours to reach Nagamalai. Anywhere between 4-5 hours. It can be done in one day. Highly advice you to start early.

One way is roughly around 14kms

My uncle know's a person in M.M Hills. He said jeep facility is available which takes you half the distance (around 7-8kms). They ideally charge 35-40/head. Anything above that is a rip off. He advised us not to take the jeep. They just shove people inside like cattle. Around 15-20

You don't need a guide to do Nagamalai

The ascent is pretty steep.Trek light. Budget your resources.

Food is not available anywhere en route except the villages (a cluster of houses, actually). You need to tell them in advance.

Crossing paths with elephants is not uncommon. Please exercise caution.

It's off season in M.M Hills. Crowd usually starts from Dussera and continues until Ugadi. This is the best time to visit M.M Hills. Sunday/Monday and Amavayse usually has crowd. Avoid those days.

Good food is available in the guest house 'Guru Darshini' and the one adjacent to it. You have to tell 'em in advance. Food is not available on demand.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You can start trekking from TalBetta (foot hills of MM Hills) itself. Its well worth it.
Thank you for the details Sachin,
So, have you done others (Except Nagamalai) around this area or BR Hills? Was Nagmalai trek you did on your own or you had to get some permissions from FD? Is the trail marked and can be traced easily or we need a local to help us?
Thanks.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you for the details Sachin,
So, have you done others (Except Nagamalai) around this area or BR Hills? Was Nagmalai trek you did on your own or you had to get some permissions from FD? Is the trail marked and can be traced easily or we need a local to help us?
Thanks.
I haven't done any apart from Nagamalai. Had planned Talbetta and Nagamalai together this visit. Unfortunately, none of it happened

Nagamalai was done with family (cousins etc al). No permissions whatsoever. Just enquire around and people will direct you to the starting point of the trek. You don't need any local's help to do the trek.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

Nagamale is basically a piligrimage trail, so there are no issues with permission. If you want to venture ahead of Nagamale, then you will need permission
Old 19th June 2012, 14:36   #100
BHPian

1. Kotilingeshwara - Beyond KGF. (< 150 Kms)

2. Melukote, Kanva Dam.

3. Arakalgud Dam - Channarayapatna +

4. Shravanbelagola - Channarayaptna +

5. Bheemeshwari (pls think beyond JLR). U can spend time outside the resort, freely on the river bed, which stretches for atleast a few kms, along the road.

6. Talakaad

7. Srirangapatnam

8. PlanetX + lakes in Mysore

9. Palace + Chamundi Hlls, Mysore

10. Gopalaswamy betta - Absolute Single day event (Priority 1)

11. Bayalakuppe, Nisargadhama - Absolute Single day event (Priority 1)

12. Shivaganage hills (tumkur - )

13. Siddanabetta + Devarayanadurga

14. Hirekolale lake (CKM +5 kms) - Single day for sure.

15. Hogenekal falls

16. Bluff

17. Mekhedhaat

18. BR hills (a bit of a stretch. but still doable)
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 18:12   #101
BHPian

I just love to do this:
1. Bandipur forest trail - Mount on elephants and enjoy the ride and nature around.
2. Ooty tea estates and Koonor train safari.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:04   #102
BHPian

Hi Pramod, Can you please guide the best route to Gopalswamy Betta? Is it via Mysore ? You have mentionede it as P1, so I assume the place is great. Can you please tell me is this the best time to visit ?
Old 19th June 2012, 21:17   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi Pramod, Can you please guide the best route to Gopalswamy Betta? Is it via Mysore ? You have mentionede it as P1, so I assume the place is great. Can you please tell me is this the best time to visit ?
The route branches off from the Gundlupet-Bandipur road.
So choice is yours for how to reach Gundlupet. You can either take the Mysore-Nanjangud option or Kanakpura/Chamarajanagar option.

Here is a route link to the hill (via Kanakapura)

Bangalore to Gopalswamy hills via Kanakpura
Old 19th June 2012, 21:35   #104
BHPian

Hi Ampere , thanks ! Wikipedia states that there is a motorable road to the top of the hill. Any idea about this road condition ? Also how is the road which branches from the Bandipur road ? Asking this as I'll taking a small car (Ritz P)
Old 19th June 2012, 21:59   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi Ampere , thanks ! Wikipedia states that there is a motorable road to the top of the hill. Any idea about this road condition ? Also how is the road which branches from the Bandipur road ? Asking this as I'll taking a small car (Ritz P)
I think roads should be decent. (No current updates though). Surely Ritz can manage that road.

Check this out (Old TL)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...amy-betta.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks