Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Route query: Hyderabad to Guntur

Hi,
Does anyone tell the best road route to Guntur? I came to know there are two: one via Vijayawada and another via Nagarjunasagar dam. Can any one please throw some more light?
Old 24th November 2009, 23:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad to Vijayawada:
Its a national highway. The road is usually good but has a high level of traffic. You face the oncoming traffic i.e. there is no divider on the road. Vijayawada to Guntur is 30 kms or so on NH5. One of the best roads in this area.

Via Narketpally, Miryalaguda:
Its a right turn from the Hyderabad - Vijayawada highway.
State Highway. Lesser traffic than the earlier route but beware of potholes and unmarked speed breakers. There are signboards indication Guntur for most of the distance.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 23:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Via Narketpally, Miryalaguda:
Its a right turn from the Hyderabad - Vijayawada highway.
State Highway.
Thank you bblost. Do you have any idea of the road that goes through Nagarjuna Sagar etc.?
Old 24th November 2009, 23:24   #4
BHPian

Its better you go via Narketpally and Miryalguda as the roads are quite wide and very less traffic as compared to Vijaywada highway NH7.
Old 25th November 2009, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can go via Nagarjuna Sagar, after the dam (Vijayapuri), turn left and go to Macherla and thereon to Narsaraopet and Guntur. The road till Nagarjunasagar is excellent, when we had a drive to NS in July (before the floods though) most TBHPians were able to maintain constant high speeds on most stretches. I have no idea about the condition after NSD.

You can check on my posts in Suryalanka: Beach Resort for details of the route via Miryalguda etc. The Hyderabad April 2009 meets section too might have some details as we had a drive to Suryalanka in April.

Have a safe and happy journey.

Cheers

Last edited by bblost : 26th November 2009 at 10:41. Reason: Please don't quantify top speeds. Thanks.
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 11:36   #6
BHPian

Re: Route query: Hyderabad to Guntur

Any latest updates on the condition of this Hyd-Guntur route?
I need to drive after 15 days but I am in two minds whether to drive or take a train/bus.
Cheers.
Old 25th January 2014, 12:25   #7
BHPian

I will be driving to Guntur next month . Any updates on the current road conditions ? I am inclined to go via Vijayawada, as I've heard the roads are good. Inputs will be appreciated.
Old 25th January 2014, 18:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujair View Post
I will be driving to Guntur next month . Any updates on the current road conditions ? I am inclined to go via Vijayawada, as I've heard the roads are good. Inputs will be appreciated.
No problems with the route.Yes going via Vijayawada is the best option.4 laned all the way.There is road widening work happening between VJA and Guntur but nothing major to change your route to an alternate one.Budget for approximately 6hrs drive with breaks.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 19:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you go via Narketpalli-Piduguralla-Narasarao Peta. The distance is same as the Sagar root but the road condition is better. You can reach Guntur in 4.30 to 5 hours and easily save an hour by travelling compared to the Hyd-Vijayawada-Guntur.
umvarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 20:27   #10
BHPian

I would also second UMverma's suggestion. Narketpally - guntur shld save at least an hr and very stress free. I
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 18:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
I would advise you go via Narketpalli-Piduguralla-Narasarao Peta. The distance is same as the Sagar root but the road condition is better. You can reach Guntur in 4.30 to 5 hours and easily save an hour by travelling compared to the Hyd-Vijayawada-Guntur.

Thanks. But I guess the Narketpalli-Piduguralla-Narasarao Peta route is a 2 lane road without a divider . As I drive a small car , for safety purpose I am inclined to go via the Vijayawada route.
Old 27th January 2014, 20:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But I guess the Narketpalli-Piduguralla-Narasarao Peta route is a 2 lane road without a divider . As I drive a small car , for safety purpose I am inclined to go via the Vijayawada route.
Hi Sujair,

It is a four lane road except for the last 40 km (Challagundla cross roads to Guntur) with the divider. This road is laid recently. I traveled to Chilakaluri Peta and back about 3 weeks back. Just make sure to slow down a little while entering the villages and towns on the route, and you will not have any issues traveling this route.

Regards,
Mohan.
umvarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 02:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to go via Vijayawada. Good roads all through except for diversions between Vijayawada and Guntur.

Narketpalli route: I travelled through that route few months back. Road from Sattenapalli to Guntur was not good. It was filled with potholes of all types. I am not aware of the present condition.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:50   #14
BHPian

I travel from Hyd to Guntur, my native, once a month on average. There are 3 routes.
[FONT=Calibri]1. [/FONT]HYD – VJA straight road. VJA Expressway. 280 kms. One side toll Rs 360. Two way in 24 hours Rs 540. approx.
[FONT=Calibri]2. [/FONT]Hyd – Narketpally and then right Nalgonda, Miryalaguda, Pidiguralla and then left Sattenapalle, Guntur. 270 kms. One toll at Panthangi Rs 60. You could bypass this toll. Check maps. Never tried.
[FONT=Calibri]3. [/FONT]Via Nagarjun Sagar. 270 kms.
Option 2 most preferable. I take under 5 hours to reach.
P.S. Pardon my English I am in office and short on time.
bharatbits is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Did the Hyd-Guntur-Hyd trip yesterday .Here are the details.

Onward : Took the State Highway towards guntur. Roads are good till Pidugurala with negligible traffic. After which, its a nightmare. Small 2 laned road with high traffic. Toll cost was very cheap, amounting to 70 rupees till guntur.Two more toll booths are going to come up soon.

Return : Decided to checkout the Guntur-Vijayawada-hyderabad route. Guntur to Vijayawada was a bliss . In Vijayawada we got stuck in heavy traffic near the kanaka durga temple.On crossing Vijayawada, roads were a bliss to drive on again. Traffic was quite heavy, but still could maintain decent speeds.

It took me close to 6 hours with breaks each way . Finally I would say , if anyone is planning to drive in the night, avoid state highway.
Sujair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks