Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 13:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sam a better way to describe whatever you said is that Andamans is an Eco-Tourism location and not actually Pattaya.

My personal experience is that Jolly Buoy is much better maintained by Indian Army then many of the famous counterparts in pacific .
Anyway If someone is going to Andaman Mud Volcano in South Andaman ( no bearing to actually Volcano on Barren Island) is not to be missed.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:29   #17
BHPian

My 2 cents...

Hi,

Before anything, it is really difficult (and in my opinion should not be done) is to compare an orange with an apple. It is the same with Lakshwadeep and A&N Islands. Don’t want to dwell in the comparison, but it is the sheer nature and landscape and everything that is different. Except the water and island definition of both.

Lakshwadeep is on Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean waters and the color is different. The island was formed in separate geographical terms than A&N Islands. Again I am not a teacher. A&N is on Bay of Bengal and the topography is different too.

If you have time and money, I suggest you should see both and there is no trade off.

If you are planning to visit A&N Islands, then, there are a few things you must see. I went there last December (6th Dec 08 – 13th Dec 08).

In and around Port Blair:
Carbyn’s Cove Beach
Light and Sound Show at the Cellular Jail (opt for the English show)
Jolly Bouy
Redskin Island
Ross Island

Away from Port Blair:
Havelock
Radhanagar Beach No 7
Baratang (you would need permits to go here since it is a tribal area)

While at Baratang:
Mud Volcano
Baludera Beach
Parrot Islands
Mangrove Forests
Lime stone Caves

Stay:
There are quite a few nice and comfortable stay options.

I like these, and may be biased since I stayed here:

Port Blair: Fortune Bay
Havelock: Barefoot Resorts
Baratang: Dew Dale

You can PM me and I can direct you to the concerned.

Souvik
Souvik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2009, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But think about it. Is this what you really want, or are you thinking of a great time on the beach by day, shopping, tourism and partying by night? Because for the SAME amount you would spend on the flight, you could go to a Thai island (Kra Isthmus) and I could help you there too. And the cost for hotel and food would be less than the Andamans.
Sam, you mean international fare to Thai island would be less than fare to Andamans ??
Could you elaborate on the costs for visiting Kra Isthmus and is the travel via Bangkok !!
Old 30th November 2009, 14:55   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Sam, you mean international fare to Thai island would be less than fare to Andamans ??
Could you elaborate on the costs for visiting Kra Isthmus and is the travel via Bangkok !!
International fare to Bangkok is currently in the range of 10-12K return including taxes.
Travelling to an island does not necessarily have to be by air. However there are cheap flights to Samui/Phuket etc.

Hua Hin can be reached by road from Bangkok and that's cheap too. And Hua Hin is quite beautiful.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have spent 5 mights at Agatti Island part of Lakshdeep islands.
i tend to agree with what sam said, these islands do not have much night life.

When i went for my trip, i was on my honeymoon, so i did not bother much about the outside the room nightlife

if you are a foreigner, you are allowed only on Bangaram Island among lakshdeep, for both foreigners and indians, need a special permit to be on these islands.

i would recommend Bangaram Island (they have a larger resort)
you need to land on Agatti (airport is on agatti) and will be transfered to Bangaram on a speed boat.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Well to be perfectly honest I am smiling because I returned from my beach vacation.. umm.. yesterday.

Here's a little incentive to go and enjoy your life Cyrus the Virus. Happy beach bumming.

Vacationing on the Indian Islands.-dsc_37772_l.jpg
Old 30th November 2009, 18:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well to be perfectly honest I am smiling because I returned from my beach vacation.. umm.. yesterday.

Here's a little incentive to go and enjoy your life Cyrus the Virus. Happy beach bumming.
@Sam, Can you give more details and pics of your beach vacation

I am also sailing in the same boat as fellow bhpian @Cyrus43 with regards to the vacation planning.
Old 30th November 2009, 23:54   #23

Ahh Brilliant!! That is quite helpfull really. The thing is, Darayus is in his last year of school, and thus after his exams, we need to unwind and take a nice vacation, and since no one bothers to go to the islands, I thought it would be a nice option. Its still in initial stages, and honestly, I would prefer going abroad. But for all people who know my dad, you would know that he HATES shopping, etc etc. All he wants to do on a vacation is laze around.

I on the other hand HATE lying around and need something to do. Any other Options???

MODS: Can we rename this thread as: The Dhabhars Need a Vacation or something please.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I on the other hand HATE lying around and need something to do. Any other Options???

MODS: Can we rename this thread as: The Dhabhars Need a Vacation or something please.
Well if you don't like to lay around but love snorkeling then Havlock island and Andamans is for you. Buy a snorkle before you fly there.
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:35   #25

Ok. Update. The Nadaman and Nicobar islands WILL be the Family's next holiday. I need ALL details for Hotels, etc!! Thanks in advance to all.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

My colleague is visiting the Andamans and leaving for it this weekend. I have asked him to maintain a log of practicaly everything and tons of snaps. I hope he gets a login ID fast.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:44   #27

That would be brilliant!!
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:00   #28
BHPian

Guys, I am planning a trip to Lakshwadeep on the 25th of December. I need tips and advise from all those who have been there. Any word of advice would be really appreciated. The plan is to reach Cochin on the 25th and take a boat to the islands.We are three of us (all guys) and would ideally want to hitch a ride on one of the fishing boats.One liitle concern is that you are not allowed to drink in the islands. Is it true? If yes, is it permitted to carry alcohol?What about accomodation? I do not think there are much choices. Are you allowed to camp?Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Guys, I am planning a trip to Lakshwadeep on the 25th of December. I need tips and advise from all those who have been there. Any word of advice would be really appreciated. The plan is to reach Cochin on the 25th and take a boat to the islands.We are three of us (all guys) and would ideally want to hitch a ride on one of the fishing boats.One liitle concern is that you are not allowed to drink in the islands. Is it true? If yes, is it permitted to carry alcohol?What about accomodation? I do not think there are much choices. Are you allowed to camp?Thanks in advance.
please visit this site to get more info

Lakshadweep Travel Guide, Lakshadweep Tourism Information, Rules And Regulations In Lakshadweep : India Line Travel

Follow The Rules of Paradise

Visiting Lakshadweep is an experience unlike any other you have had till now. One has to keep a lot on his mind before traveling to these 36 coral islands hanging midway in sea between Indian mainland and unending stretches of shimmering blue water visible till the horizons. From the moment you start your journey to Lakshadweep, till the time you return; there are certain rules that are to be strictly followed by Indian and foreign nationals touring to Lakshadweep. Find all the information needed to know for a comfortable, chaos free and memorable vacation in the group of magical islands.

DO's

1. Remember to book for the tour way in advance as number of tourists allowed on the islands at a time is restricted to a limited number.

2. Being away from the mainland, you will not find many shops here. So it is advised that you carry with yourself all the necessary items. Medicines and basic amenities are a must. For brand conscious people, it is better they carry with them their preferred brands of cigarettes and cosmetics.

3. Through out the journey, you will be assisted by a representative of SPORTS (Society For Promotion of Nature Tourism And Sports). It is always better to ask for his help in tourism related queries.

DON'T s

1. It is a Punishable act to pick corals. It also effects the ecosystem adversely.

2. Carrying prohibited drugs and narcotics into Lakshadweep is a punishable offense.

3. Alcohol is not permitted in Lakshadweep.

4. Swimming or Sunbathing nude is not allowed.

5. Do not Pluck coconuts from the trees. They are privately owned and plucking coconuts without permission is a punishable offense.

Permits

It doesn't matter whether you are an Indian national or a foreigner, you need permit to travel to Lakshadweep as tourists. All you need to provide for the permit is proper information like name, address, date and place of birth. In case of foreign nationals, passport and visa details are also required to be given to the resort staying in. Indians are permitted to travel to Agatti, Bangaram, Kadmat, Kavaratti, Kalpeni and Minicoy. However, foreigners are only allowed to visit Agatti, Bangaram, and Kadmat. Make sure you book a seat on a tour way in advance as number of tourists allowed on Lakshadweep islands is restricted.

Food And Drinks

Not many visit Lakshadweep in search of sumptuous food and delicacies. And you will not find any major specialty of Lakshadweep in cuisine department. Most of the dishes here resemble a lot to foods found in Kerala because of the spices used. Even the lavish use of coconut also gives them a flavor so symbolic of Kerala. A major chunk of Vegetarian dishes like rice and tinned food has to be brought in from Kerala whereas fish curries are easily available as the local diet is heavily based on fish. There are ample of restaurants on major islands like Agatti. Apart from serving Lakshadweep cuisine, they also cater Continental, Chinese, Thai and Korean

Best Time To Visit

The most favored time to visit Lakshadweep is between October and December as the climate is quite pleasurable. People planning to visit after February can expect a slightly humid and warm conditions. But what more enjoyable than splashing in cool waters under the hot sun.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:28   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the information StarVagabond. Much appreciated.
But can we camp there? I mean, we get the permit and get an entry into the island; but if we choose not to stay in any resort and camp instead. Is that allowed?
I read somewhere that you get alcohol in only one of the islands. No?

Most Viewed