Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 10:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Vivekananda Kendra is a good place. Decent, clean, very nominal A/C and non-A/C rooms. OK but clean,no frills food. They have a free shuttle service to various places of interest. Their phone no. is 0465-2246250.

If you are flying to Chennai, another option is to take the Air-Deccan (now Kingfisher) flight to Tuticorin, take a taxi from there to Tirunelveli - ~40 KM from the Airport - and proceed by bus to Kanyakumari (~80 Km) from there.
Alternatively you can take the train (KK Express from Chennai Egmore) to Kanyakumari. Departs Chennai 5.30 PM and arrives KK 5.30 AM next day. Distance by rail from Chennai is about 750 KM.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

The suggestions/routings given by @hvkumar is ideal.

Suggest you engage a taxi than bus journey. Local buses especially in tamil nadu the name boards are mostly in local language and you will find it difficult to understand.And also waste of time to get connected to buses in case of breaking journey.

While going by taxi, I have a suggestion.

(I dont know what time your flight will reach in TVM?)

Incase you leave TVM in the morning, ask the driver first to go to padmanabhapuram palace (almost all drivers in TVM knows about all these places mentioned). For example, you leave TVM 8 am and you will reach
padmanabhapuram around 9.30/10 am. You spend about 2 hours in the palace. Leave the palace at 12noon -reach Nagercoil around 12.45/1pm and have lunch there (there are many good vegetarian hotels available in nagercoil). Leave Nageroil,after lunch, and you will reach KK at around 1.30/1.35pm. Check in and relax some time in the hotel. Around 3 pm go to vivekananda rock (evening there will be heavy rush for boat service).
Back to shore around 5 pm and get set for sun set (you have to check with the locals at which direction the sun set this time of season). AFter sunset you can see the gandhimangapam and spent some time around the vicinity-do some shopping or watching the sea ..
Next day early morning, you can try for sunrise, and after that you can visit the Kumari Temple. Then finish your breakfast and leave KK by 8am.
You will reach Suchindram by 8.20/8.30 am and you can visit that temple.
From there you can drive back to TVM. So you will reach TVM comfortably by lunch time.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:16   #18
BANNED

Anyone have experience with these tour operators?

They seem to do exactly what I require
Tamil Nadu Temples Tour,Hindu Religious Temples Travel Deals,Famous Temples of Tamil Nadu India

Or any other good tour operator who would co-ordinate a similiar package?
Old 7th December 2009, 22:31   #19

Hi carboy
If you are traveling from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari, there are many places worth visiting. If you take a diversion from Marthandam, you can visit Chithral jain monuments, Thiruvattar temple, Tripparappu falls, Thottippalam ( Asias highestTank bridge) and Pechppara Dam.Dont forget to visit the Nagaraja temple of Nagarcoil and Vattakkottai at Kanyakumari
Here is some information

Kanyakumari Tourism Hawckins's Blog
Old 7th December 2009, 22:51   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanam View Post
Hi carboy
If you are traveling from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari, there are many places worth visiting. If you take a diversion from Marthandam, you can visit Chithral jain monuments, Thiruvattar temple, Tripparappu falls, Thottippalam ( Asias highestTank bridge) and Pechppara Dam.Dont forget to visit the Nagaraja temple of Nagarcoil and Vattakkottai at Kanyakumari
Here is some information

Kanyakumari Tourism Hawckins's Blog
I want to spend 5-7 days in the south - including Kanyakumari.
But because of my lack of knowledge of these places I am not able to make an itenary of my own - hence looking for a tour operator who would help with me with - unfortunately Kanyakumari seems to be in very few operators lists.
I am ok with journeys in betwen also - as long as there is a comfortable way to travel.

Last edited by carboy : 7th December 2009 at 22:53.
Old 8th December 2009, 00:23   #21

Contact Vivekananda Travels,tour operator,kerala,calicut,india,pilgrim tour,thirupathi tour,rameswaram tour,himalaya tours,pazhani tour,agra tour,adventure tour,
Old 8th December 2009, 11:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Tx, I'll PM You with more Questions if it's ok?
Absolutely Sir. Please go ahead. I shall answer it to the best of my knowledge. But why PM, if you are comfortable, you could ask straight away on the thread. It shall benefit others as well. And others could also answer those questions.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 8th December 2009, 14:05   #23
BANNED

Have decided to cancel my plans of Kanyakumari & decided to do Orissa instead. But I will probably do a Kanyakumari trip mid of next year - so this thread will be of great help - thanx everyone for your replies.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Does Vivekananda Kendra have any parking facilities ?
Old 11th December 2009, 13:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Vivekananda Kendra is a rock in the sea, you have to take a boat. You can park your vehicle on shore near the boat jetty, there are designated parking areas.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

hvk , I was referring to the accomodation Vivekananda Kendra | Spiritually Oriented Service Mission.

Their rates appear to be much lesser compared to other hotels, my only concern was whether my car could be parked there.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
hvk , I was referring to the accomodation Vivekananda Kendra | Spiritually Oriented Service Mission.

Their rates appear to be much lesser compared to other hotels, my only concern was whether my car could be parked there.
Oops, sorry! Don't worry about Vivekanandapuram, it is a large campus away from town and has lots of space. However,every time you have to go to Kanyakumari, you have to take either an auto or go find parking in the town.
Old 12th December 2009, 00:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi friend,
Vivekananda Kendra is a wonderful place for the vegetarians as well as religious minded people. As you are going on Car no matter you can stay there and visit all the places. Parking you can find either near or little far. Don't forget to visit Susheendiram temple which is near by with in 15 or 20 minutes drive.
Old 12th December 2009, 07:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Best thing about Vivekananda Kendra is we can just walk out of our room to their own private beach to witness the sunrise. No hurry, no crowds!
Old 18th August 2011, 16:43   #30
BHPian

Re: Travelling to Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi friend,
Parking you can find either near or little far.

I have booked accomodation at Vivekananda Kendra for next week.Did you mean, they do not have parking facility inside the aashram?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks