Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 18:59   #16
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion. If roads are good, I think 700 kms would be doable in a day.
Let me know if you are aware of
1. any good hotels in Vijaywada and Tirupati.
2. Fuel outlets ( I would prefer COCO outlets) between Kolkata and Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sumannandy : 9th December 2009 at 19:17.
Old 9th December 2009, 21:42   #17
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kolkata-8.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-25-hours.html
Old 9th December 2009, 23:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. If roads are good, I think 700 kms would be doable in a day.

Thanks in advance.
I am not sure about the COCO outlet every where.
Tirupati u have lots of hotel in and around bus stop. U can choose Park Inn/ Mayura. Dont know the exact address.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Vijayawada has a Gateway and a Fortune. There is also one DV Manor. All 3 are on the main MG Road (known locally as Bunder Rd.). The older ones are Manorama, Mamata and Iylapuram. The older ones are slightly less expensive but the Gateway and Fortune are not expensive either in this location.

In Tirupati again all the major chains are represented among the local hotels the Bhimas is the best but, they are in Tirupati town, on the plains. Almost all hotels have a scheme/tie-up and offer darshan etc. as part of a package, so please check with them.The ghat road to the temple closes in the night so it is better to stay on the hill (near the shrine) if you want an early morning darshan. All the accomodation on the hill (Tirumala) belongs to the Tirupati Tirumala Devasthanam (TTD). Try booking on-line at: TTD eAccommodation Booking. The best guest house is the Padmavathy GH, followed by the Thapar etc. The cottages are a mixed bag with some being good and others being in pitiable shape. Another advantage of staying in the GHs is that the staff will wake you in time and take you to the temple. They will also help in getting your darshan/seva tickets.

Please do not bribe/tip the priests in the temple (esp. in order to spend more time in front of the deity), it is considered a sacrilege. All offerings are to be dropped into the hundi (Tirumala has some gigantic ones), a small offering to the priests dropped onto the salver from which they offer aarti, prasad, thirtham, kumkum etc. is fine though.

If you have time in Tirupati you can go around and see all the temples that form part of the group i.e. Tiruchanur-Alivelamangapuram, Srinivasamangapuram, the Govindaraju temple in Tirupati etc. Then the legend of Lord Venkateswara will come alive then. That is one legend that is interesting and colourful too. I love the one about how one of his consorts chose to entice the Lord. She knew that he was fond of the flower parijatam (raat-ki-rani) which bloom at night and have a lovely fragrance. So she planted them on either side of the path leading to her abode so that the Lord would be enticed to visit her. Talk about womanly wiles! Well, Lord Venkateswara lived before the Hindu Marriage Act, 1956 so he could have more than one wife Padmavathi (Alivelumangamma) and Bibi Nancharamma.

On the way to Tirupati is Sri Kalahasti which has an ancient temple dedicated to Shiva (a vayulinga).

Cheers,
Old 10th December 2009, 21:29   #20
BHPian

Thank you for the information and the link. I will contact the hotels. Also I will probably stay at Tirumala and book the accomodation online.
Old 14th December 2009, 00:47   #21
BHPian

I will be leaving in a day or two. I would love to meet all BHPians on the way. Please PM me your contact numbers if you are available.

@Vikram (vikarm.vns)

I really appreciate all your help. Thank you very much.
Old 14th December 2009, 05:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be leaving in a day or two. I would love to meet all BHPians on the way. Please PM me your contact numbers if you are available.

@Vikram (vikarm.vns)

I really appreciate all your help. Thank you very much.
Good Luck and Bon Voyage Sumannandy!!

Eager to read a nice travelogue on this again.

Abhi
Old 15th December 2009, 18:10   #23
BHPian

Hi Abhi, your travelogue was a starting point for my planning. Thank you for sharing the details.

I postponed my journey by 2-3 days due to the recent agitation.

Last edited by sumannandy : 15th December 2009 at 18:29.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:43   #24
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be leaving in a day or two.
Suman, best of luck, surely you will be having a safe and enjoyable drive.

We met up this Sunday briefly - great guy with an absolutely very well maintained 4wd old school Safari.

Kolkata to Bangalore - Help needed on route, hotels, food and diesel-img_4701.jpg

Last edited by adc : 15th December 2009 at 22:54.
Old 16th December 2009, 06:30   #25
BHPian

I was super excited to meet with you and the great TMT.

He was telling me stories of his adventures. I am not sure if I would ever drive to the places where he went with a 2wd.

On a side note, TMT is doing great and he is working on his upcoming Arunachal trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks