Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Bombay - Agra - Delhi - Bombay : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobuddy View Post
Dear BHPians,

I am planning Kanpur to Pune trip. Can anyone suggest on current road condition between Shivpuri and Indore via Guna. This was in very bad shape in October but could this have been improved?

The route suggested by Mr. Kumar is almost 1900Km while Jhansi-shipuri-indore-nashik-pune is around 1350Km, a considerable difference. I'll appreciate any latest info on road condition between Shivpuri and Indore.

Thanks!
Road condition is not bad now. You can turn off onto NH76 towards Jhansi some 15 kma before Shivpuri itself. I have a friend driving on that sector this coming THursday, can brief you better after that.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:14   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Road condition is not bad now. You can turn off onto NH76 towards Jhansi some 15 kma before Shivpuri itself. I have a friend driving on that sector this coming THursday, can brief you better after that.
Thanks very much! I look forward to feedback from your friend's trip.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:39   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HVK,
Which is a better approach for driving to UP from Pune?

Take the Mhow/Ratlam/Kota option or go via Mumbai/AMD/Udaipur/Kota?
Is crossing Bombay/AMD easy? Add to it the Narmada bridge issue. Is it still worth it?
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
HVK,
Which is a better approach for driving to UP from Pune?

Take the Mhow/Ratlam/Kota option or go via Mumbai/AMD/Udaipur/Kota?
Is crossing Bombay/AMD easy? Add to it the Narmada bridge issue. Is it still worth it?
Many options, depending on whether you want to go to West UP, Central UP or East UP.

West UP - Noida, Meerut and then Dehra Dun-Hardwar-Musoorie side of UK:
Best to take the Bombay-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi route

Central UP - Kanpur, Lucknow
Best is to to take the Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Kota-Jhansi-Kanpur-Lucknow
I prefer the route via Bombay/Udaipur because it gives you full 4-laned superfast roads. Ankleshwar-Bharuch is not a problem at all as long as you take the road inside through the city which is what all of us do nowadays because the Narmada Bridge problem on the bypass is a permanent one.
The road via Indore-Ratlam-Chittorgarh is also fine as long as you don't mind 2-laned roads in some sections. Traffic is quite high and messy on the Lebad-Ratlam-Neemuch sector and expect bad roads at Lebad & Neemuch onwards too. For a motorist from Pune, I think it faster to reach Surat via Bombay than to struggle through either Nashik or longer route via Aurangabad to Dhule. Facilities are a shade better on the GJ route.

East UP - Varanasi, Gorkhpur, Patna (Bihar)
For them, it is best to go via Nagpur, Jabalpur & Rewa. They can reach Nagpur very fast via Aurangabad, Karanja & wardha, but NH7 is currently terrible north of Nagpur, especially after Jabalpur. They have to take alternative SH routes which are good but not so fast and definitely have very poor facilities.
Even for someone going to East UP, I don't think it is a bad idea - longer distance, but faster and shorter time maybe - to go via Udaipur and take the East West Corridor to Kanpur and thereon to North East UP/North West Bihar - Gorakhpur, Gopalganj, Muzaffarpur, and even Patna - via Ayodhya.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 21:28   #50

Quote:
Mr. Kumar, could you get some feedback from your friend?
Old 28th January 2012, 09:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Kumar, could you get some feedback from your friend?
He took the Indore route and did Pune-Aurangabad-Dhule-Indore-Guna on Day 1. Roads were excellent till Dewas, although he got delayed due to heavy traffic in Aurangabad-Dhule sector. After Dewas, he realised the virtues of going on NH8 since the roads were rough and high truck traffic slowed him down considerably. He slipped up on his time targets (he wanted to reach Jhansi that night), but go no further than Guna some 200 kms before.

On Day 2 (yesterday), he reached Gorakhpur via Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow & Ayodhya. From his progress, I can see that he had a textbook run and seems to have done quite well. I have not yet discussed any specific sector issues with him since he is still on the road.

Today morning, he should have left for Muzaffarpur.
Old 28th January 2012, 10:33   #52

Quote:
He took the Indore route and did Pune-Aurangabad-Dhule-Indore-Guna on Day 1. Roads were excellent till Dewas, although he got delayed due to heavy traffic in Aurangabad-Dhule sector. After Dewas, he realised the virtues of going on NH8 since the roads were rough and high truck traffic slowed him down considerably. He slipped up on his time targets (he wanted to reach Jhansi that night), but go no further than Guna some 200 kms before.

On Day 2 (yesterday), he reached Gorakhpur via Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow & Ayodhya. From his progress, I can see that he had a textbook run and seems to have done quite well. I have not yet discussed any specific sector issues with him since he is still on the road.

Today morning, he should have left for Muzaffarpur.
Mr. Kumar, your friend did well to reach Guna from Pune in a day. I suppose roads on route Pune-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad-Dhule are better than Pune-Nashik-Dhule. Am I right?

The road condition between Dewas and Jhanshi via Guna-shivpuri is still unknown.
Old 28th January 2012, 10:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Kumar, your friend did well to reach Guna from Pune in a day. I suppose roads on route Pune-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad-Dhule are better than Pune-Nashik-Dhule. Am I right?

The road condition between Dewas and Jhanshi via Guna-shivpuri is still unknown.
Road condition is more or less the same via Nashik or Aurangabad except that you face some rough roads around Sangamaner and you will get traffic-jammed in Nashik city due to road widening. So I would prefer the Aurangabad route to Dhule.

Dewas-Guna road is rough, has heavy truck traffic and you cannot maintain speeds over 80 kmph in a sedan since you are always wary of the next bad patch. He lost a lot of time in that sector.

But after getting into the EW Corridor before Shivpuri (NH76/25), it was a smooth drive except for the mess around Orai (after Jhansi). He bypassed Kanpur and LUcknow (the latter through the partly-completed Ring Road & the Contonment area, thanks to help from LongDriveLover) and I think the rest of the road to Gorakhpur was also very good and fast.
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:29   #54
BHPian

2 friends and I are planning to go on a random road trip (on a Honda City) from Mumbai on the 20th of July. We really have no particular destination in mind. We just have 9 days and some serious rubber to burn. I was hoping if any of you guys could help me decide a destination and a route.

There are only 2 conditions -

1. We leave Mumbai on 20th morning, and return by 28th night.
2. We'd like to avoid NH4 and NH66/17 since we've been that way at least 10 times by now.
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:04   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
There are only 2 conditions -

1. We leave Mumbai on 20th morning, and return by 28th night.
2. We'd like to avoid NH4 and NH66/17 since we've been that way at least 10 times by now.
How about MP/Rajasthan ?
Mumbai-Nasik-Indore/Ujjain : There are some places around there. Dhar/Maheshwar etc.

Then Ujjain-Ratlam-Chittorh/Jaipur/Udaipur/Mt Abu

And finally you turn via Himmatnagar/Ahmedabad/Baroda/Mumbai.

See this excellent TL by Fauji. Should give you some more idea.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-pradesh.html
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:31   #56
BHPian

Hi there !

I would agree with @ ampere . Visit MP on this sojourn. Its beautiful in rains.
You can go to Trimbak-Saputara-Shirdi-Garh (if religion is on mind) and come down to MP to visit Indore-Ujjain(Mahakaaleshwar)- Omkareshwar and see many tourist places like Mandavgarh and Choral and Patalpani.

Roads to all the above are excellent and are 24 hours motorable.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:25   #57
BHPian

There are two states I can easily roam about in - Rajasthan, and Madhya Pradesh. Another idea I have in my mind is to visit Agra. I had been in Delhi for over 5 years, and yet never got a chance to witness Taj Mahal. Can not really make up my mind :-(

My idea is mostly to drive. As long as the roads are enjoyable, good scenery around, and not too many traffic to weigh us down, we can drive 16 hours a day and be happy . We definitely do not have any religious visits in mind, other than maybe Ajmer sharif in case you happen to be nearby. But that too is not a priority. I hope that clears out the query about our intentions.
Of course, another thing I need to keep in mind is the safety on the roads, especially keeping the rains in mind.

Anyway, I currently have 3 routes to consider -

1. One of them is http://goo.gl/maps/jeHjD
[Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Jaipur - Dausa - Agra - Gwalior - Shivpuri - Guna - Dewas - Indore - Khalghat - Dhule - Mumbai]

I am a bit more keen on this one because I get to drive on both Golden Triangle/Quadrilateral and NH3. Also, two different routes will mean variation in the scenery during the whole trip. However, wiki has this to say about the road conditions of NH3. Not sure how true that currently is.

"Currently, the stretch between Agra to Gwalior is four lane. The stretch from Gwalior via Shivpuri, Guna, Maksi up to Dewas road is not four lane. The condition between Shivpuri and Maksi is not good. Only patch work is done by NHAI. Now the tender for four lane along the same stretch is also done and work is going to start and may be completed up 2014. Even the stretch between Gwalior and Shivpuri is not great. However it can be done relatively easily.
Road from Dewas to Indore is currently being converted to six lane. Road from Indore to Mumbai is completely 4 lane but only problem is city Nasik where the highway goes within the city and currently the elevated expressway of 25 km is being constructed which add to the problem.Stretch from Nashik to Mumbai is 4 lane Mumbai Nashik Expressway.
"

2. Another one is http://goo.gl/maps/6ueCQ
[Mumbai - Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur - Chittorgarh - Ujjain - Indore - Nashik - Mumbai]

I like this one because I get to see a bit of Rajasthan, and also cover Indore. Indore, because I used to live there for a bit. So, have some nostalgia. Also, I love the food of Indore. It's simply gobsmacking and mouth-watering.

3. The last route is a slightly modified version of the 1st one - http://goo.gl/maps/fAUuj
[Mumbai - Nashik - Maheshwar - Indore - Ujjain - Gwalior - Agra - Chittorgarh - jaipur - Udaipur - Mt Abu - Himmatnagar - Ahmedabad - Baroda - Mumbai]

This one covers a lot of touristy places, but the total distance turns out to be almost 2,800 kms. I am not absolutely confident if we can cover that much easily. And especially since there are so many touristy places being covered, we'd like to stop over there a bit more.

or maybe I should simply cut off Gwalior, Agra, and Jaipur. Then the whole distance seems to reduce to a measly 2,000 kms.

So, what do you guys think?
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:23   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Another one is http://goo.gl/maps/6ueCQ
[Mumbai - Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur - Chittorgarh - Ujjain - Indore - Nashik - Mumbai]
Take the second one. It has very good 2-lanes or 4-lanes.

I would say basically aviod the MP route to Agra. Its pathetic (esp. Jhansi/Gwalior/Agra section north of Ujjain ). Thats the reason I was not suggesting.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say basically aviod the MP route to Agra. Its pathetic (esp. Jhansi/Gwalior/Agra section north of Ujjain ). Thats the reason I was not suggesting.
So, taking your advice, I am tweaking the route slight bit - http://bit.ly/14N7iI9
[Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Himatnagar - Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Ranakpur - Kumbhalgarh - Jodhpur - Jaipur - Dausa - Ujjain - Dewas - Indore - Maheshwar - Khalghat - Dhule - Nashik - Mumbai]

Do you think the route looks better now? I wanted to include Mt Abu as well, but including both Mt Abu and Chittor didn't make much sense to me, because of the perpendicular route. So, I decided to finalize on Chittor.

Any advise on the road conditions in this route?
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:32   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, taking your advice, I am tweaking the route slight bit - http://bit.ly/14N7iI9
[Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Himatnagar - Udaipur - Chittorgarh - Ranakpur - Kumbhalgarh - Jodhpur - Jaipur - Dausa - Ujjain - Dewas - Indore - Maheshwar - Khalghat - Dhule - Nashik - Mumbai]

Do you think the route looks better now? I wanted to include Mt Abu as well, but including both Mt Abu and Chittor didn't make much sense to me, because of the perpendicular route. So, I decided to finalize on Chittor.

Any advise on the road conditions in this route?

Here I altered it a bit.

Route Link

- Why Dausa?
- Jaipur-Ujjan : Jaipur-Chittor-Nimbahera-Ratlam-Ujjain
- You can cover Chittor this way too, if you have the time.

All roads are good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed